Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong/Ballantyne shipping out busted bobbins!?

Author Topic: Strong/Ballantyne shipping out busted bobbins!?
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 02:33 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My order from Strong came today, some of which were the parts to rebuild my busted framing coupler. However, the new bobbin they sent me has 1 crack, and 1 place that looks like it will snap with the slightest touch. Both of these are on opposite sides of the same "slot". [Eek!]

-  -

This is the very reason I ordered a new one, my old bobbin was cracked like this all around in all 3 slots.

Is there no quality control at Strong? Is this part considered to be "good enough" or usuable? I await your expert opinions before contacting my dealer.

Danny

|  IP: Logged

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 02:39 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not install that coupler, unless you are down, and the one you are replacing is in much worse shape. Did you get it drop shipped from Strong, or did it come from a dealer's stock? Give them (or perhaps your dealer) a call and let them know what you have. I have had nothing but good experiences with Strong. They stand behind their products 100%

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny,

Thats definately not right. Perhaps it was a used bobbin sent to you by whoever sent it....
Mark

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 03:09 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I'll make some phone calls now.

BTW, the shipment came directly from Ballantyne in Omaha, no way this could have been a used one.

Danny

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 03:14 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mistakes happen, and a used, returned, or defective one could have accidently been returned to stock.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That crack is nothing to be concern with...if you install a new spline & remove it a few day latter you will see the same thing..the inside part you see crack, do't worry about, I have insallede & replace thousands of these...believe me don't worry about that...the important thing is the tiny white plastic caps or pinhead holding the nylon spline to the metal...if they are missing...NOW WORRY !!!...that crack, don't even bother Strong about...I'm only concern if the caps are broken or missing...trust me on this one ....

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-20-2003 06:07 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never install bobbins that are cracked. I simply do not trust them. But yet, I never received one from Strong International that was busted.

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 08:57 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don you are 100% absolutely right! Nothing wrong with that coupler, I have installed quite a few that look just like it.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 11:03 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan trust me there is nothing wrong with the spline in the picture, question: you do know about the "DOT" on the end of the of the spline, & which way it came out of the coupler ??

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 12:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update. Strong is shipping me out a replacement next week.

As far as the "dot", I never noticed it; however I do know the correct way to reinstall these. [Big Grin]

Danny

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan if you didn't notice the dot, tell me the correct way to install without damaging the new spline, I'm not being a smart ass, just don't want you to damage the new spline...the dot is on the spline is to mark the direction it goes back into the coupler assy...it is on every spline...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-21-2003 09:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don,
Instead of holding Danny hostage with the dot thingy why not just take 5 min and type out exactly how it all goes together. After all, this could be a benefit for alot more people here than just Dan.
I believe this is Dans first major rebuild and any technical help anyone might give him I'm sure would be well apreciated......
I commend Dan on tackling it. For a first machine to attempt, he did not pick and easy one.........
Mark @ CLACO

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right Mark, I didn't mean it to sound like it did...the Dot is shown in Dan's picture on the right...when you remove the spline from the coupler, remember the way the coupler came off the intermittent end so it will go back on the same way...when removing the spline, look for the dot & install it the same way it came out this makes re-assumble easier...while in the coupler look at the bearings to see if they are intact & rolling correctly...be sure to have both washer raceway in the coupler for the bearings..when installing the spline, screw the end cap back on, snug down slightly then back off a little to get the spline room to move but not much, only a wee bit, so tighten hand tight, back off a hair....

Here is a trick....before installing the sprocket assy & intermittent, install the coupler on each shaft three or four times each to seat the spline grooves to the grooves on the shafts, this will make it much more easy to install on the machine...I install the intermittent first (do not tighten down the movement all the way), I re install the framing handle & put the coupler on the sprocket shaft & use the framing to seat the coupler to the intermittent, you may have to turn the sprocket a little to find the groove...once install, I tighten the sprocket assy & intermittent while turning the shutter by hand to feel for any binds...if a bind is felt, back off the intermittent screws & start to re tighten slowly while turning the shutter blade over unitl all is tight & no bind...the trick is to seat the coupler on the shafts before installing, this will prevent damage to the spline & make the installation much easier & faster...good luck !!

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

I agree that this is a tricky machine, but it was within my budget compared to other machines. Well, not all, but I have no interest in messing with a hundred year old Simplex.

As far as that DoT goes, It needs to be closest to the outboard arm for the shafts to slide in correctly.

Danny

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: