Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » speaker distance behind screen

Author Topic: speaker distance behind screen
Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 12:17 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the construction of our new mixing stage, a question has arisen that I have no answer for. How far back from the screen should the speakers be? We are using JBL 4675C-8LFs, the same as the Film Tech screening room. According to the description with the photos, the horns are only about 1 inch back, but this was caused by a mistake with the placement of the door (or something like that)

So what is the ideal? Do our friends at THX have an opinion on this? I have not been able to find anything in the documentation.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 12:38 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the JBL Sound System manual:

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/cinedsgn.pdf

On page 32, they specify horn flanges should be 5 to 7 centimetres from the screen.

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-20-2003 12:50 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 01:32 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some things never change and remain correct even before THX. Speaker systems should be as close as possible, without touching the sheet.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 01:36 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bob Koch wrote:

quote:
Speaker systems should be as close as possible, without touching the sheet.

I guess allowing for some "sag" in the screen material, the 5 - 7 centimetres specified by JBL is in line with that practice. You don't want the speaker to ever actually touch the screen.

Matt Hale
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Matt Hale   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Hale   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I assume the woofer can be a bit farther back than the horn - screen attenuation not being such an issue at lower frequencies - and besides, the horn protrudes beyond the front of the LF cabinet by quite a bit anyway.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-21-2003 05:14 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but remember that the horn driver is actually much farther back than the woofer in the cabinet. You have to take that in account when you design a sound system. If you have a 2 or 3 way system that can cause the contributions of the woofer and tweeter be out of phase.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-21-2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you biamp then use a time corrected crossover (guess what THX makes one) a(as does Smart Ultra Stereo QSC)
the driver offset is set to match the delay at that frequency

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 04:07 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for posting, Paul, your answer clarifies the situation [Big Grin]

Philippe

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 06-23-2003 12:05 PM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clear as crystal isn't it? [Big Grin]

I did say something there but then decided to delete it. Something about a John Eargle paper and demonstration I attended at a joint AES/SMPTE meeting in 1996 about the five new JBL tri-amped screen channels for the AMPAS Samuel Goldwyn Theater. Something about graphs in said paper that showed increasing combing and diffraction effects with increasing speaker to screen distance. But I deleted the post because I couldn't remember sufficient details to make the post worthwhile... [beer]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-30-2003 11:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone heard of the problem of the acoustic output of the high powered sub-bass bins behind the screen actually causing the sheet to vibrate and make the picture look out-of-focus while the sound is pumping?

Frank

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-30-2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen usually vibrates when you play really loud stuff. I never noticed that until I ran the self-playing dts demo disc without the film that belongs to it ("Buzz and Bill").

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 01:14 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Imax Dome theatres (at least the one in Syracuse) the speakers are several feet from the dome. Sonics doesn't think this is a problem.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-30-2003 08:55 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Due to the nature of the Imax theater geometry (both flat screen and dome) it is necessary to actually hang the speaker from the screen tower rather the place the cabinets on platforms. The speakers are aimed at specific places in the auditorium and will sit at awkward angles to the screen, as can be seen in these photos of two different left channel cabinets.

-

-

Acoustic treatment on the cabinet and behind the screen and equalization of the sound system accommodate for the cabinet placement, as well as the reflection of sound from the vinyl sheet of the flat screen or aluminum panels of the dome screen.

And, yes, I've sent ripples across a few sheets in my day. [Big Grin] To help prevent this ripple effect, the subwoofers in Imax theaters are placed in pairs facing each other so that the sound is reflected out rather than aimed directly at the screen.

-

Remember that it is more difficult to localize on a low frequency sound, so placement of the subwoofers is not as critical as other speakers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: