Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » blotches in whale rider?

Author Topic: blotches in whale rider?
Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 05:19 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone else have a print of whale rider with odd blotches in it? i think they were only in r2, ranging from 1/4 to 1 frame long, too bulbous and black to be scratches, and yet still quite thin, with a vertical orientation. it didn't look like normal dirt. if anything it looked like maybe tiny droplets of paint that were deposited as the film was being wound at high speed, which stretched out. there weren't super many of them, annoying but probably not enough to justify a replacement reel. hell, we never get replacement reels. any thoughts?

carl

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 06:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dark, grayish "blotches" found on only one reel could be from accidental soundtrack developer splashing into the picture area, leaving deposits of silver. Usually soundtrack developer bleeding and blotches tend to be along the left hand side of the projected image, near the analog soundtrack.

Here is information on how the analog soundtrack is "redeveloped" to produce silver in the soundtrack required for tungsten "white light" readers:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/processing/h249/h2409_05.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/processing/h249/h2409_05.shtml#187753

Although affecting only a small percentage of reels, these soundtrack application problems are a significant source of waste and makeovers for the labs.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/dyetrack.shtml

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 12:39 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Carl.
We have only just finished a season of Whale Rider and there were no marks as you described on our print.
However we did note that the light on the image was not even, the centre was ok, but illumination fell off to the sides, especially the corners. Subsequently it appeared the mirror focus was incorrect.
I checked the mirror focus and it was correct with even light over the entire screen, also the effect occured in all our theatres, so obviously a printing fault.
Did you or any other colleagues note this on their prints of "Whale Rider"?
Regards. John Spooner.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 12:44 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be unusual for a lab printing problem to produce DARKER edges on a print. Typically, if the light in the printing aperture falls off at the edges, the edges of the print film receive less exposure, and would be LIGHTER.

One possibility is vignetting in the camera lens, which can produce darker edges or even a shadow at the edge of the frame. Did the dark edges vary from scene-to-scene?

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear John.
The uneven effect was consistent for long lengths of time and irrespective of scene changes. At other times the illumination was quite even.
Could be described as if the mirror were too far forward in the lamphouse, causing vignetting at the aperture edges.
Trust Teeny Weeny is well. Lady is here in front of the heater with me, she grunted and sends her regards.
John Spooner.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2003 04:38 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would say the blotches were more towards the middle of the frame, but still spread out. i'd have to check again to confirm. as for illumination, it seemed even on our print. however i was thrown for a loop by 2 shots in r1 (as paikia & grandfather approach the house on bike) where a foreign object intrudes into the right side of the frame. evidently it's a sun visor or something on the lens that, surprise surprise, didn't turn up on the video "rushes".

carl

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-23-2003 07:39 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all cinematographers prefer film dailies to the cheaper video dailies --- too easy to miss a problem like being slightly off in focus.

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 04:16 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what those splotches on one of my "Bruce Almighty" prints was. It sounds very similar to the ones you are describing on your print of "Whale Rider". It only seems to affect one reel of the print. Good to know.

Charles Everett
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2003 11:47 AM      Profile for Charles Everett   Email Charles Everett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Princeton Garden Theatre picked up Whale Rider last week (suburban NY break). Their print is fresh from the lab and has a small blotch in R1 but otherwise nothing really annoying.

Carl M: Get a replacement R2. Arthouses deserve a presentable print as much as mainstream theaters.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2003 01:42 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boss requested that the distributor see if they had any spares, haven't heard anything since. if we do get it switched out, which seems unlikely at this point, i'll try and take a pic of the problem to post here.

carl

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: