Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Theatre in upstate NY wants to revive booth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Theatre in upstate NY wants to revive booth
William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 02:14 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The message below was posted in Usenet in alt.movies.silent
I've got no connection with the theater, & my guess would be that their budget will be along the lines of most small PAC's: minuscule. Fun for folks who like fun, though.

Original message follows:
==============================

Subject: PT: Need advice on getting old movie theater projectors working
Organisation : CompuServe (http://www.compuserve.com/)

I am on a committee which is attempting to arrange some movie screenings at a beautiful old theater in Tarrytown, New York. For more information on thetheater see its web site:
http://www.tarrytownmusichall.org/

It was a movie theater until the 1970s. The old projectors are still in the theater. We are attempting to find out if they can be made usable. One of our members has posted many detailed photos of the projectors on the internet here:
http://homepage.mac.com/ttownorso/PhotoAlbum11.html

Could those of you with knowledge of this please provide any information,advice, resources, or opinions on the possibility of making the projectors usable again.

If you prefer email to posting, delete the what follows the .com at the end of my email address. TIA. Hudson10
To respond via email delete what follows the .com

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-20-2003 02:54 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever designed that interface for the second link at the mac dot com address needs to be brutally beaten. Just try and look at it on a dual monitor system. Just TRY!

Morons.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 03:22 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, -Morons or not: It's quite a house [Smile]

p

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 03:23 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being extremely green at this still, I'm assuming that's what's called a "Carbon Arc" lamp house on that monster? That looks like it would be alot of fun to play around with. It might make for a cool road trip once they get it up and running. Oh, and please humour me, I appologize again for my ignorance but would the age of the sound equipment that would be on that projector be a problem when trying to play more modern films?

I'm not quite sure to what you were referring with respect to the dual monitor remark Brad, I didn't have any problems with it. I kinda liked that little slide show interface. Saved alot of mouse clicks. Oh well, to each their own I guess.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 04:27 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The page wont even load for me [Confused]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 08:08 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here, I just get a blank quicktime-ish frame...
I shouldn't expect "mac.com" to be compatible with real computers.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loads ok for me. (Windows 2k SP2, IE6 pictures open in Apple Quicktime)

I replied on R.A.M.T before I read this post here, apart from a new motor in one of the pictures, and the Ashcraft rectifier, this place is in pretty much its original state, and not at all bad condition. Even if it is not used it ought to be preserved as a complete example of a box of this period.

The sound would be more of a problem than the picture, the photocells are probably past their best, and, obviously, you will only ever get Academy mono out of it. Maybe they could install a modern analogue SR rack, but leave the original in place, and maybe even give occasional demonstrations of the original equipment, run 1930s films on apprpriate period equipment! They seem to have a fair number of spare valves (tubes). The original heads would read dye+silver tracks ok, but not cyan.

Mr Norwood is still running Western bases and Enarcs at one of his places, isn't he? When I met him in April he was talking about the possibility of installing stereo cells in the Western base.

If this place is only going to do an occasional film show I don't see why they shouldn't use the original machines, unless there is some really major fault with them which doesn't show up in the photographs. They could run programmes of classic films on classic equipment.

It was working elier, but I've just gone back for another look at the pictures, and I can't get them now [Frown]

[ 06-20-2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: Stephen Furley ]

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The photo link does not work for me. All I get is a "connecting to 17.250.248.34" then it times out and nothing. [Frown]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-20-2003 12:24 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks suspiciously like the booth that I will run tonight (see the pics of the Avon Cinema, which has basically the same equipment, save for Century heads instead of Simplex and Brenkert rectifiers instead of Ashcrafts). I don't know anything about the original Western Electric sound system, however, as the Avon stopped using the original system in the '80s (I assume that the box on the wall with the needle that points to two scales numbered 1-15 is for sound changeover purposes). I still haven't found anyone who has managed to fit a stereo solar cell into those bases. The motor shown in one of the pics is definitely not original, as Stephen pointed out.

In general, though, the equipment looks like it could be serviceable with a bit of volunteer effort and maybe some minor sound upgrades (probably add a modern preamp and amp), particularly if they only need it for occasional screenings. If I lived closer, I'd definitely stop by and see the place.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 01:52 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want it identified here goes; OLD Simplex projectors originally front shutters but modified with rear shutter bracket. Brenkert Enarc lamp, good; Western Electric 2su 41 sound system[ 2sx 41 if it has a 43 power amplifier. Western Electric 1a [universal base] Amplifiers should be 49 film amplifiers in universal base and amp rack should contain WE 200 horn panel, 41 voltage amp with gain control a 42 amplifier either used as a final or driving a 43 power amplifier. Sure too bad Im on the other coast. Sure would be intwerested in this.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-20-2003 02:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What you have is a very sought after Western Electric Booth in its entirety. This equipment, especially the amplifiers and speakers are collected by audio enthusiests around the world. I wouldn't operate that booth as a money making venture(and for safety reasons) as the reliability factor is not going to be there. Also parts are non-existant.

What you can do is to sell that equipment to an appropriate collector and E-Bay would be a good place to start trying to sell it off. Set a VERY HIG RESERVE on it all!!! I've head of the amp racks alone going for well over 10K, and the stage speakers and booth monitor speaker netting another 5K at least! The projectors are typically worth quite a bit less less. It is all but impossible to find these booths complete, untouched and in this (probably working) condition anylonger. The total number of booths in this state of preservation can be counted on one hand......

With Western Electric equipment selling for what it does on todays market, you would then have a large chunk of money to install decent, used, modern equipment that will be reliable and not nickle and dime you to death.

If you'd like names and numbers of people that deal in this sort of collectible stuff give me a call and I will be happy to give you names and numbers. The main thing is to not be rushed and hold out for the highest offer!!!!

Also, if the original Turn Tables are still in the theatre that went on the back ends of the projectors then you have another gold mine in and of itself..... Can't find em...look in the attic, in the basement, look everyplace till you are absolutely sure they are NOT there [thumbsup] .

Mark @ CLACO
Salt Lake City, Utah
801-355-1250

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Mac link finally is opening on my laptop, so I just looked at the photos. WOW!!! It's almost as though someone walked out of that booth 50 years ago, and it was put into suspended animation and preserved perfectly. I'd go either way --- keep it exactly as is, as a "museum" of theatre exhibition of that era. Or sell it to a loving collector and use the proceeds upgrade the theatre to newer equipment.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 03:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crap, that looks awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to get down there at some point and see it firsthand.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-20-2003 04:35 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be against selling off the equipment; what is so unusual about this place is not just a couple of old projectors, there are a fair number of those around, but that a complete installation has survived, largely unaltered, from the day it went in. If the equipment was disposed of there would be a couple of projectors preserved somewhere, an amplifier rack somewhere else, and none of it in its proper setting, an original projection room of this period. Even the colour of the paint on the walls is right, I don't know why, but projection rooms always seemed to be this sort of colour.

I think it would be possible to run this equipment for occasional shows, I assume that this place is not intending to run film all day, every day.

The last machines of this vintage I know of in this country were taken out of use just a few years ago, if they are in good condition there is no reason why they shouldn't run. If they were taken out of use in the '70s, then they probably only have about 40 years of use on them; there are plenty of 50 year old machines running today, often as a single machine with a tower for 30 years or so, therefore running twice as many hours per day. The design of projector mechs has actually not changed a great deal in the last 75 years, unless you are looking at something with an electronic intermittant, like a Kinoton FP-30E.

The relatively small carbons which these arcs use are still available new, they are not cheap, but not very many would be used, and it is quite likely that some could be picked up cheaply from, or even donated by, a theatre that no longer uses them. There are old projector heads around from which spares could be obtained, if needed.

The new motor would look much less obvious with a coat of black paint.

Certain concessions would have to be made to the modern age. I can't claim to be an expert on, or indeed know anything about, American electrical regulations, but I doubt that this place would meet the requirements, it might even be unsafe now, so a full re-wire would be needed, but the modern wiring could be contained within the original trunking and conduit, so it would look no different.

It would be worth investing in some good modern lenses, but the old ones could be kept for show, the new ones put in for use.

You would probably want to install a new sound rack, but the original one could be retained as well. I don't think any of the original equipment should be removed.

The Ashcraft rectifiers are not original, probably '50s, but they don't look too out of place.

This is a great, and probably unrepeatable opportunity to preserve an original projection room of the period, with nearly all of its original equipment, neither modified for more modern use, nor exposed to damage by vandals, rain, bird droppings etc. which often happens at disused places. It would be a great shame to let it go. You could even make a bit of money by giving projection room visits for a couple of Dollars a time.

Show classic films, one or two shows per month; The Loew's Jersey pulled in about 800 for the Saturday of the Frankenstein weekend. Show material that is not available elsewhere, advertise your shows widely, and people will come, some of them from a considerable distance. There are plenty of places showing modern films in a modern setting; there is nothing wrong with that, but why not do something different.

Serve the dual purpose of being both a theatre and a museum.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too would be against selling off this equipment! I e-mailed William the name of a collector who could sure help out with the restoration. With proper restoration, there is no reason why this equipent could not be used for shows.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: