Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Easy Cinema at Milton Keynes UK

Author Topic: Easy Cinema at Milton Keynes UK
Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 05:36 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what the projection arrangements are at this new concept?

I started my (multiplex) career at this cinema back in '87 and I just wondered what the set-up is now.

Kind regards,

Frank.

|  IP: Logged

Les Brock
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 08:52 AM      Profile for Les Brock   Author's Homepage   Email Les Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

The person I spoke to didnt know what projectors / platters were installed but did say that as far as audio is concerned they have Dolby SR and some screens have DTS.

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 09:23 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hazard a guess and say it's using the original UCI gear, which back then was probably either Cinemecanica or Century on Christie consoles, with Christie platters.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 10:50 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't know anything about the setup but I'd imagin it's what was there when sold. Can't see Mr Easy splashing out on a full install.

Have a look at their web site for booking....

www.easycinema.co.uk

The first time I checked it out I couldn't book a seat even if I'd wanted to. It seem's to be working now but it's worth a look just to see whats showing and the price. I clicked on any price and never got any film over 30p.

Interesting to see how long it lasts.....

Frank Aston
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 01:57 AM      Profile for Frank Aston   Email Frank Aston   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks to Les, Pete and Ken.

Any idea if they've 'economized' on the staffing levels? Possibly installed full automation?

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2003 08:31 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know it is the original UCI gear. When the theatre was first installed it had Cinemeccanica V5's with CNR-35 platters. I believe it used to have CP-55's but upgraded to a few theatres with dts soon after jurassic park.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2003 05:05 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EasyCinema is to close in six months time.

There is a full page report in Mail On Sunday – Financial.

Mail On Sunday

Frank,

If you look at the EasyCinema web site in the Jobs section. Chief Technician, 40 hour week, 4 days on, 4 days off. £14k per annum, with responsibilities as long as your arm (or both).

www.easycinema.co.uk

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2003 02:44 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings from Cambridge, UK.

Herewith a direct copy of an e-mail sent to me from my counterpart in the Department of Cinema Management, here at St. Johns, Cambridge, whom I quote with his permission.

"
===============================================================
To: Prof. D.G.Rose <Davidgrahamrose@aol.com> DGR@DeptCinTechStud
From: Prof. P.C.Thistleton <Peterthistleton@aol.com> PCT@DeptCinStud

Subject: Hypotheses

Graham,

My currect third year UG's were treated to a worthy lecture this morning on the economics on running a hypothetical Theatre. I presented to them 2 scenarios.

The first of these was a situation whereby the owner (who I believe formerly owned an airline) set a gross admission price which varied exponentially with the number of patrons demending tickets. In addition to this, there was no provsion for FOH sales or indeed a box office - sales being conducted electronically. As a final clause in the scenario, at any one time there were to be only 3 staff on duty - a Projection Operative, Janitor and Duty Computer Technician. Number of weekly performances over 10 screens 140.

The second scenario was thus;

A standard 10 screen theatre running a minimum of 5 performances per day in each auditorium (ca. 500 per week). Total number of staff: 32 (including 4 Projection Technicians and 4 Managers). Ticket prices range from £5.50 to £6.40 and and avarage SPC of £1.97

I then asked which of these two ventures would be most likely to succeed.

In excess of 94% of the year suggested that the latter would be the more likely to succeed.

Maybe it would be worth posing this to your Technical undergraduates in Year 3 so we can measure the true success of the hypothetical theatres.

With intentions good

Peter

=================================================================

As you will have noticed I have removed the date from the forwarded e-mail, but it will come as surprise to the owners of the Easycinema that this e-mail was sent to me on April 24th 2001!!

How prophetic this series of lectures was!

I bid you good afternoon

David

Mike Rendall
Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 03:28 AM      Profile for Mike Rendall   Email Mike Rendall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello David,

I didn't know there was a department of cinema technology at St Johns! Have you got a website, or more information. It would be interesting to take a look.

I was at St Johns for a BFFS film conference a while ago, although they were battling with the university then to allow a permanent fixture for the projector back then..

Mike

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too was interested to hear of the Department of Cinema Technology.

I tried web searches including looking at St John's and Cambridge University sites but they all turned up blank. [Confused]
Is this a stealth department ?

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 05-31-2006 06:20 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1071 days since the last post.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2006 06:20 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Easy Cinema finally closed. To be honest I was suprised they manged to last so long . Article here on BBC online

'No frills' Easycinema shuts down

Stelios Haji-Ioannou founded Easycinema three years ago
The company behind the Easyjet airline has closed its "no frills" cinema because of high rent levels.
Easycinema sold tickets in Milton Keynes for as little as 20p. The building has now been returned to rival chain and leaseholder Odeon.

Initially, film distributors refused to offer new films to Easycinema, claiming the pricing structure devalued them

A spokesman said Easycinema would "move away from bricks and mortar" and use its website for listings and DVD hire.

"Odeon became not only our competitors but our landlords," said James Rothnie, Easygroup's director of corporate affairs.

"Our lease ran out and with the costs we were going to incur continuing to run the cinema, we preferred to hand it back to Odeon.

"Running that cinema was a great brand-building exercise, and everyone has heard of us."

Easycinema launched three years ago as one of a number of businesses - such as car hire, bus journeys and a hotel - attempting to replicate the model of Easyjet, which started in 1995.

All promise a "no-frills" service with prices increasing as demand grows.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2006 07:19 AM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

I gather UCI were the original landlords, which has now become Odeon with the merger of the two circuits. No change there then.

David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: