Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » dolby sr probelm (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: dolby sr probelm
Angel Hultzsch
Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for Angel Hultzsch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, i need help because i have a problem with the dolby sr: in some trailers the dolby digital is reading improperly, this cause the revert to dolby sr, so the diference is too obvius, the sr sound is distorsioned and loud "when the center chanel have a low frecuency or high frecuency this make a distorsion, the same for the surround, this is bad for the show and the theater, we use a prevost p93 srl, if someone can help....

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-17-2003 07:12 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your theatre is in need of an A-chain alignment. In the meantime, try playing trailers in mono (instead of SR). It will probably sound better (less bad) than a misaligned SR system.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 08:26 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem could be those "some trailers". What about the rest of the trailers? mosca.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Scott and German. It could be either! How does the feature (and all the other trailers) sound in the theater if you play them all in SR? If they all sound horrible, then you most likely need an A Chain. If everything else sounds OK in SR except for your digital defective trailers, then the trailers are defective on the analog side too.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-18-2003 05:37 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you actually have SR card(s)? If you play back SR tracks with A-type NR cards it can sound rather unnice too.

Elvis Navas
Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 08:28 AM      Profile for Elvis Navas   Email Elvis Navas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello angel, what I have to do to make you understand?
FU@%&/()%##"! I HAVE TO DO THE A CHAIN ALIGNMENT, you know the cause because I've not done, what's your problem? You're a bother.

hola angel, como hago para que me entiendas?
COŅO!!!!!!!!!! [fu] [fu] [fu] [fu] [fu]
TENGO QUE HACER LA ALINEACION DEL LA CADENA A, tu sabes porque no lo he hecho, cual es tu problema? ya te pasaste de ladilla. [thumbsdown]

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 10:31 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'd hate to be working under you.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be interested in a translation of all of that.... but I think the one finger salute's and the thumb's down give a good indication of it all....

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 01:55 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
hello angel, what I have to do to make you understand?
FU@%&/()%##"! I HAVE TO DO THE A CHAIN ALIGNMENT, you know the cause because I've not done, what's your problem? You're a bother.

This is the traslate for this:
quote:
hola angel, como hago para que me entiendas?
COŅO!!!!!!!!!!
TENGO QUE HACER LA ALINEACION DEL LA CADENA A, tu sabes porque no lo he hecho, cual es tu problema? ya te pasaste de ladilla.

The samething in english and spanish, but it's more expressive in spanish. Some people doesn't understand things and turn bosses [Mad] .

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-18-2003 02:54 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does that count as a personal attack?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-18-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's everyone take a deep breath and try to look at what the problem could be before we go finger pointing. This could be no one's fault. Dolby's tone loops are a joke. I really wish they would do something about the quality control on them. The levels are all over the place from batch to batch. Without the tone level set properly (due to a faulty loop), that could cause some of the problems Angel is describing.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-18-2003 04:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the Spanish part was a recipe for a hot dip sauce.

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 06:27 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK guys, the problem here in Venezuela is the following: Nobody can get US$ or any other foreign currency. We don't have the buzz track to do the right alignment (how do we do to buy a film from a foreign country and pay them?) and Angel know that. It cost little more than $250 but the BIG PROBLEM is how or where to change Bolivares to dollars. We've spoken to him about this topic a several times, however he brought the problem here knowing the way to fix it. Sorry for this.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-18-2003 06:36 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't you temporarily use the Dolby tone loop and the oscilloscope as a last-resort lateral centering film?

Adjust until both waveforms are the same size or something like that?

Then double-check with a strip of film that has DTS timecode?

[Edit -- I just read the original post again and noticed that there is another problem...Dolby Digital is defaulting to analog. That's more serious than the A-Chain problem, if you ask me...]

German Marin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 07:52 PM      Profile for German Marin   Email German Marin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've done all with the 69T. Both the Digital and analog reader on this projectors (Prevost P93) are too critic and the just 69T isn't enough. The buzz track will come here into the next two weeks. The problem isn't too BIG as it appear. In just one auditorium the Digital is really bad (in the CP650 there's a " - ", the voltage is good, the LED is new) and Elvis has sweated a heap using 69T and 69P. The film's running on SR without problems. We're waiting for buzz track to do the right work.
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: