Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bought an old booth

Author Topic: Bought an old booth
Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 11:46 AM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought the booth out of an old college auditorium this morning. It consists of two Simplex SPS portables, serial #SP 5498 and 5482. Any idea of when they were built?

Also I scored two small carbon arc lamps. I wish I had the incandescent setup, but maybe I can either find them or refit the arc enclosures. All ideas are welcome.

Are the power supplies for the exciter lamps internal on these units? There's a bunch of old Simplex electronics laying around with this stuff. I'm not sure if I need to pick up all of it. What do you think?

|  IP: Logged

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-17-2003 01:17 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Advice coming from a true pack rat [Smile] GRAB AS MUCH OF THAT STUFF AS YOU CAN!! You'll never know what you'll find in piles of old junk. Grab the logical things like carbons, sprockets, other good parts. Sounds like fun, best luck [Smile]

Josh

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry,
The information I have says the SP was made up to 1951 and that year started with serial # 4919. I wouldn't have thought they made over 500 of them the last year though. Could they be possible #3xxx. If so they would be 1946. They made both arc and incandesent versions. Mine has the 1000 watt bulb in it. If memory serves they do have the exciter transformer built in them.

I also agree with Josh, TAKE EVERYTHING, you may not get a second chance. It's easier to toss stuff after you have it then wish you would have grabbed when you were there. Have fun.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-17-2003 07:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take everything! If you end up with stuff you don't want, offer it here (in the for sale/wanted forum) and trade it for other stuff that you can use. Alternatively, there's always the Ebay option.

Oh, and if the booth is complete and operational, take pictures before you start dismantling everything. This will give you something to send in to Brad for the picture gallery and may also be useful when you try to remember how to reassemble the equipment once you get it home.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 07:26 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God I wish I could go through that stuff with you. You northern guys have all the fun. There ain't shit down here to pilfer through.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Northern guys? From Tennessee? Up here we consider anything south of Philadelphia to be Southern, Sam. Believe it or not, the Mason-Dixon line went through south New Jersey. Wal, shut mah mouth and pass the cornpone, [Big Grin] if you-all ain't been to Cape May!

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 10:16 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, anything north of Shreveport is considered northern [Wink]
Anyway, didn't notice that Harry was in Tennesee.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-17-2003 10:48 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately snag as much stuff as you can carry out. [Smile]

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, your signature line is right on!

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 10:02 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harry, I live about 45 miles from you.... if you get anything good and can't use it, let me know.

Have pick up truck.... will travel!!!

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 01:35 PM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,
I'll send you a list of stuff when I get it all home. It's probably time we got together anyway. There aren't that many Film-Techers in Nashville.

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 09:39 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You got that right! Harry

Barry, saw the screen last weekend very Nice!

The Stardust Drive-In is really coming together

Harry Robinson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 08:11 AM      Profile for Harry Robinson   Email Harry Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it time for a Nashville Film-Tech gathering? I'll bet the Framklin Cinema would make a good venue.

I got the stuff today. It filled one layer of a U-Hall 14' truck. There's a lot here for me to figure out. I'll be asking many questions over the next few months.

[ 06-19-2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Harry Robinson ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: