Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sound problem with DTS film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Sound problem with DTS film
David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2003 04:24 PM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I played a film with a DTS track the other night on my Vic 4 I found that there was an intermittent low pitched noise in the left channel - almost like white noise but less shrill. My assumption is that the Dolby cell is slightly out of alignment and so the left channel is picking up some of the timecode. is this correct or should I be looking elsewhere? The solar cell alignment was only done pretty coarsely when the cell was installed since I didn't have my CP50 working at the time.

David

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-16-2003 04:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Try gently pressing the film inward a hair while it is running and see if the noise goes away.

Do you by any chance have a buzz track loop of film?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-16-2003 04:54 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming you were playing the analog track, I agree with Brad that you should check the lateral alignment. Sometimes the edge of the silver application is close to the edge of the scanned area, and could result in a noise like you describe. Accidently scanning the DTS track would be an irregular square-wave "putt-putt" or "motorboat" noise, and not a hissy "white noise".

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2003 05:10 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you run a film without DTS time code, do you still get the same noise?

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 03:56 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The noise only appears on DTS film. I've never heard it on a plain old analogue track. Interestingly, it didn't happen on every reel of the DTS print, but on about 5 of 7 - and sometimes it vanishes for extended periods (say 10 minutes) in a reel. I'll try the nudging trick to see if it goes away. The fact that the noise was only in the left channel is what made me think it's the DTS track.
(NB I'm currently only using the preamp output on my CP50, so only 2 channels).

John - the description as 'white noise' was probably not a good one on my part : it's fairly low pitched but has a similar 'random' quality to white noise. Perhaps it could be described as a 'motor boat' noise. Not sure if I have a buzz track - I may well have a loop sitting around somewhere; I'll take a look.

Thanks guys

David

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-17-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happens from time to time. I remember the German prints of "Titanic" had misprinted timecode on some reels. So some smaller second-run theatres with analog only couldn`t play the film without severe sound problems.

David Rigby
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 07:34 AM      Profile for David Rigby   Email David Rigby   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I did wonder whether it might be a printing problem since the background noise isn't there 100% of the time. I'd prefer a cell misalignment since that's just a bit of fiddling. I'll post here with what I find over the weekend (probably won't get time to sort this before then).

For future reference, how common are timecode printing problems?

Thanks as always folks

David

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2003 07:40 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only way you are going to know is with an official buzz track loop. Adjusting by ear with release prints will drive you crazy, since many of them are printed slightly out of spec.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-17-2003 08:10 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SMPTE Recommended Practice RP115 specifies the position of the Photographic Control and Data Record on 35mm prints. The centerline should be 0.297 inches (7.54mm) from the reference edge of the print. The inner edge of the analog audio record should be 0.281 inches (7.14mm) from the reference edge.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-18-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
remeber that the cinemecanica slits have a width adjustment so once the lens assembly is correctly centred its width is adjusted to limit its scanning width to between the two tones of the smpte buzz track

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2003 11:44 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps the best description of DTS being picked up in the optical scanner is "kinda sounds like a vaccum cleaner".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-19-2003 09:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Perhaps the best description of DTS being picked up in the optical scanner is "kinda sounds like a vaccum cleaner"."
On a system with good subwoofers it also can sound like a A Pratt And Whitney radial airplane engine...... The only thing you're missing is the 100 mph hurricane force winds that are also being generated by the propeller..... [Eek!]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-19-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I had reports of alignment problems that caused the DTS track to be read in the analog reader I would ask the person if it sounded like a computer modem.

Larry Zuverink
Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 01:44 PM      Profile for Larry Zuverink   Email Larry Zuverink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V4's as well as V9's are known for having very week cells. Any little thing can knock them out of alignment. Even worse with the Kelmar cell. So even if it had been aligned at first it could be a mile and a half off now. Your best bet is a full A-chain.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-19-2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a buzz track loop and realign your solar cell - it's picking up the DTS track.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: