Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong X-16 Help

Author Topic: Strong X-16 Help
Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 12:45 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Strong-X 16 lamphouse with a Kni-Tron Rectifier.
It takes 20 minutes to strike. ( 2k bulb )
I would like to determine if I need a new ignitor or is the rectifier a problem. As you can see in the pics the rectifier is set as high as it can go. I have no manuals for either one so I do not want to go poking around in something I am not familiar with. Any help?
 -
 -  -  -

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2003 01:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried the manual strike button? Does it strike tha lamp, but the lamp doesn't start? What is your no-load DC voltage....no lamp lit? These things will help. Also, to forewarn you, parts for these are basically non-existant...they were forst manufactures when I was in 2nd grade....now that IS a long time ago It is however its possible to replace the ignitor with a more modern one if it is bad to keep it servicable. The old Osram ignitor in there is a bit odd and tricky to find parts for...especially the relay.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-14-2003 02:00 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ignitor in most X16's I have come across were made by Sola
check the no loadvoltage It is possible that the boost supply section of the transformer has failed and it is just taking a long time for the output caps to build up a highenough peak voltage to fire the lamp
Also remember that most of the old verticle systems were designed around the older osram specs of a open circuit voltage of 65-85 volts and most of the newer lamps need over 100 to light comfortably

Steve Anderson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 02:40 PM      Profile for Steve Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manual strike takes the same amount of time.
Dumb question..... where do you measure the noload voltage?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-14-2003 02:49 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
measure it across the dc ouput terminals on the rectifier

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-14-2003 02:50 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would measure the no load voltage at a convenient point at either the DC output of the rectifier....or the DC input at the X-16 which I believe is in the back under the round cover. I've seen the Sola ignitors back in the Midwest area, but the ones still running out here are all Osram ignitors. The ignotor should "ZAP" the lamp right away even if the DC fomr the rectifier is not at max no load.
Mark @ CLACO

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-14-2003 08:38 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen an Osram ignitor
The only german ones I have come across are Siemens (used in older Kinton and Zeis lamphouses) and Bauch ones used in some Bauers

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: