Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Odd scratches

Author Topic: Odd scratches
Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 05:10 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is probably one of those easily explained things, but I'm curious for others input.
The equipment in question is a Strong AW-3 platter, a Simplex PR-1014 projector and an RCA 1040 soundhead.

So while running a print a few months ago I noticed that a little above and to the left of the screen center was a small emulsion scratch, square shaped (almost perfectly square at times) that ran pretty much constantly. It was present on nearly every frame and always in the same place, never running up the screen or shifting around. The print had come to us new and had never been moved, so it had to have happened in the aforementioned projector. I checked the path and everything on it seemed ok, and the scratches didn't appear to get any worse, so I chalked it up to misthreading, since we had just hired a new projectionist who was still "learning the ropes", grumbled a bit and put it behind me. That would have been fine, except recently the exact same thing has happened to another print in the same house, under the same circumstances. Now I'm absolutely fuming over this. Has anybody else seen similar print damage? Any clue as to where it may be coming from? I'm assuming it must be happening somewhere close to the intermittent, since the scratches are happening at the same point on each frame. Any input you guys might have would be good. I hate blaming people for things like this, but I'm positive that I'm not the one causing the scratches, and I want to be able to march upstairs and point directly to the problem and demand that it be corrected. Under penalty of execution by flaming arrows. (What can I say, we run a tight ship...) Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 05:16 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a new one to me. Are you sure its a scratch? I've seen burns from the bulb kinda like that, but nothing square. Can you take a picture and post it? Mike [beer]

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 06:30 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

Marks as you describe which are on the emulsion side of the film and are in the same small area of each frame are usually caused by excessive loop sizes above and below the intermittent. Check your machine for a sharp object in the area between the upper feed sprocket and the sprocket between the intermittent sprocket and the sound head.

Purposely make the loops so large that they touch the nearby case and perhaps the detector for the upper loop size. Note carefully what the film is touching and check for a sharp point or burr in the casting.

KEN

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 10:00 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the intermitent sprocket as I have seen a small flaw on it or on the shoe cause a similar mark

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks a lot guys, I'll go back in today and cheack out your suggestions.

Mark I can't post a picture now, since both movies that've had this problem have left my theater, but yes I'm positive that it's a scratch. If I happens again, I'll be sure to post a picture of the film and the presentation....and probably a picture of me finally losing my mind and stalking around the booth wearing Century gear grease on my face like warpaint, flaming crossbow in hand...

If you're lucky, that is...

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-11-2003 10:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Strong AW-3 platter
Surely you mean A-3 [Smile]

-Aaron

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 11:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely [Smile]

The above post was made after about 48 hours with no sleep. Give a tired guy a break! [sleep]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: