Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS6 2 to 3 drive?

Author Topic: DTS6 2 to 3 drive?
Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 01:12 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon me if this has been discussed before as I think it has, but I searched and searched... I'm working w/ my first DTS unit and was just wondering if a third drive can be added (off to the side or mounted on top) and just wired and switched in series or will the DTS6 just not recognise it?

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-11-2003 02:19 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Joe had a two drive unit that had three drives. Just add another identical SCSI drive. You'll need a new 3 device SCSI cable or an additional crimp on SCSI connector. You'll also likely need a Y-cable or crimp on connector for power.

I've been meaning to upgrade one DTS-6 unit I've got to a 3 drive unit but I haven't come across a free SCSI drive... I'm cheap and don't mind playing trailers in SR.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 02:47 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great because I have a couple of SCSI drives and all the right cables laying around. Thanks Daryl.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-11-2003 02:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the picture warehouse for a theater called Mann Colony Square 12 to see a picture.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-11-2003 07:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the drives have to be identical for this, or can you mix the old caddy drives with say the 12x Toshiba drives?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-11-2003 08:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you get an old ISA video card and plug it into a free slot in the 6, you can watch the boot up sequence on a monitor. There is a part of that sequence in which the computer is looking for how many drives are connected to it....I believe it counts to at least 5, perhaps 7......so there should not be a problem in hooking an extra one to it. Just get the SCSI settings correct and you should be all set. You might inquire at a dealer that repairs them as there is a cable made for hooking up the drives in the 6D that would make that very easy to accomplish.
Mark @ CLACO

Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 09:57 AM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done alot of work with SCSI outside of DTS units and the only thing that might become an issue if you use a different brand of CD-ROM is the driver it runs for the drive in the operating system. Some drives were very picky about their drivers. Perhaps the DTS units use strictly hardware controllers which might overcome this issue. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 10:22 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drivers for the drives is in the firmware so it is limited to a few drives that one can use.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 04:50 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthew,

We used to have a kit to upgrade the DTS-6 to three drives but ceased offering that after the release of the DTS-6D (3-drive player).

For the player to work reliably, all drives must be the same model. Current ROM software supports TEAC only.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: