Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A testimonial for Superior lamps (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: A testimonial for Superior lamps
Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to share with you guys the terrific experience I've had dealing with Superior Quartz, and specifically Denny Losco Jr. I approached Denny several months ago with the request that he duplicate the small 350 w xenons used in Eiki 16mm projectors. Normally these are only available from Ushio through Eiki at inflated prices with long delays in shipment. Denny was anxious to help, and recently shipped me a prototype lamp for testing. Well, it's a winner. It's a quick striker, even hot and with reduced amperage settings, has a bright, flickerless light, and assuming the life is there is fully the equal of the Ushio at a better price. I'm sold on Superior and urge anyone who hasn't tried them to do so.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-09-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is good to hear. I am actually looking into trying Superior because I remember when I first inquired about them on www.film-tech.com, there was nothing but positive responses.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I still have nothing but good things to say about their products. The Xenon I got from them recently is built like a tank. Highly recommended.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
What does that hand gesture mean?

William Leland III
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for William Leland III   Author's Homepage   Email William Leland III   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Superior Quartz at the Charleston IMAX and have had no complaints.

One cool thing, they send you a free gift at Christmas time.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 11:41 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg, It's the international sign for [evil] HEAVY METAL [evil] which has never been my favorite thing it the world, but the full picture is a still from a documentary I directed, in which me, my crew and this crazy old homeless man who hunts trolls (yes I'm serious) are all giving the sign..for some reason.....

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-10-2003 11:50 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Columbus Theatre (pics in the gallery) is using a pair of 1600w xenons from Superior Quartz and also has had no problems; screen illumination is good (even though they really should be using 2kw bulbs...I think I've almost convinced the owner of this fact). I can't really comment on bulb life, however, since they've only been using them since August, with 1-2 shows per night.

Also, I have complained about LTI 2kw xenons in the past here, and I should point out that a newer batch (purchased in December 2002) seems to be much better than the older batch (purchased about a year before). We've had no problems with the current batch. Either the product has been improved or we got defective bulbs in the first order. In any case, it doesn't matter, and I'm happy with the current LTI bulbs as well.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-10-2003 02:05 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running their 2,000, 4,000 and 7,000 watt lamps... all with excellent performance.

I wouldn't want the 7k bulb dropped on me. It IS a tank!

Oh... this will probably offend some sensibilities here, but... I ran one of their 7K bulbs at the drive-in for a season at full power... put about 700 hours on it... then I brought it to the indoor & ran it at 4,000 watts to see how far it would go before it got dark or instable or ???

I got the bulb up to 4,000 hours before it started to wander... something I've lately looked for at more like 1,200 to 1,500 hours. It still looked good physically... very little darkening. The anode looked "scuffed", not as pitted as I was seeing on the Perkin Elmers I was getting.

Don't know if that's repeatable... it's certainly not recommended by anyone... but not bad performance for the buck, and maybe an indication of conservative design? [thumbsup]

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 03:05 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip Jeff. I have one of those Eiki machines and was wondering where I could get another lamp.

John T. Moon II
Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2003 09:57 PM      Profile for John T. Moon II   Email John T. Moon II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in the process of testing 6 of their 5k lamps in Las Vegas. I used Superior when they were Ushio in my IMAX equipment. 15k water cooled. Excellent bulbs.

The first 5k I have installed here in Vegas is MUCH heavier then the Osram 5k in weight. I am taking light readings weekly to determine the drop off over a period of time. The lamp has only been in 2 days, so far so good.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 06-11-2003 12:04 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Superior when they were Ushio

you mean Durotest [Wink]

John T. Moon II
Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 08:58 AM      Profile for John T. Moon II   Email John T. Moon II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] There goes my testimonial. Thanks for the correction. Dean at Superior will be horrified.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2003 07:57 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,
I'm bringing this topic back because I'll need to get some Xenon bulbs soon and I'm interested on this one,(Osrams is only to throw hard against a wall and Ushio-christie I'll get only when someone else starts selling them here at a decent,fair price and honor the replacement warranty on them) so.. does anyone has anything else to say about the Superior bulbs?
and also some tips about who I should contact in order to get prices and all that .
Thanks!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2003 08:31 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they could also produce the xenon lamp used in the ORC slide projectors????
Mark @ CLACO

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 10-13-2003 12:50 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I currently have a Superior 2K and 4K (4200?) in service, and so far I am impressed. The 4K weighs a ton, and is the most robust-looking theatre xenon bulb I have ever seen! [Smile]

THe 2K has been in service for several months now, and the 4K went in just recently.

-Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: