Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Buying used projection equipment

Author Topic: Buying used projection equipment
Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 07:44 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many small theatre owners are requesting used equipment, I know a few dealers who buy & sell used projection & sound equipment, even some techs buy & sell...question is how do they find this stuff ?? I know dealers & techs will come accross an entire booth package for nickels on the dollar...where do they find this & how can I can on the band wagon ?? I know three owner now are looking for used equipment to equip old 6-screens GCC theatres, any ideas on where to get on the bid list for this...

|  IP: Logged

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 10:10 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Don. I've cleaned out half a dozen GCC two plexes that had lost their leases in old strip shopping centers, and with the exception of lenses, some of the VOT's, and spare lamps they just abandoned everything in place. Not that they were all that great, but I got bases, sound and picture heads, old rectifiers, mono Kintek's, and obsolete automations. I used to sell them to an economy minded operator who was then expanding, and got $2500/booth with him supplying the labor to dismantle and remove everything. I did the same deal on the seating (Griggs) at $1 a piece in place.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 03:34 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to say is good luck. I've been working on trying to get the equip from a 2 screen that closed down years ago. Owner still doesn't want to sell because he thinks he might reopen some day. HA! that's a hot one. [Eek!]

Danny

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, Some major chains strip their equipment out and save them for parting out. Some even sell. I've known Century and Cineplex to do this from experience. By the way, find us some good stuff, and keep looking out for us. Looking forward to seeing you if our deal pans out. [beer]

Travis Hubrig
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-14-2003 06:14 PM      Profile for Travis Hubrig   Email Travis Hubrig   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received info today about an auction...
http://www.pifers.com/auctions/auction.details.html?auctionId=287
It is from a Cinema Grill in ND.
The auction is 6/25

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 06-14-2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That equipment came from the now deceised cinema grill in Fargo, ND. The whole place was XL's, all three screens.

Josh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: