Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Perspecta System on ebay (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Perspecta System on ebay
Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW: For any of you guys who might be interested, someone (not me) has a "supposedly" working Fairchild Perspecta decoder up on ebay currently. It's auction #3029034370. Despite their limited applicability today, these rarely show up for sale. As of the time of this post it's only up to $105.

|  IP: Logged

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2003 04:39 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Perspecta unit on eBay looks complete in the picture. Looks just like the one I have except for a later power supply. Seller states something like worked when taken out of theatre several years ago.

Like my unit be prepared to replace all capacitors and expect the 25, 30, 35 hertz filters to be off from age that the unit probably does not work properly. Mine needed this filter work which means melting the wax in them, changing the caps, then checking if some padding was needed as they should be only plus or minus 1 hertz.

If someone is willing to work on it to get it running they don't sound bad at all. Manuals can be had for this unit on Marty's Wide Screen Museum site. There still a few of these out there.

Jeff Taylor
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 10:03 AM      Profile for Jeff Taylor   Email Jeff Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good points, Dick. I've only heard one in actual use--the rebuilt unit at the Loew's Jersey during Forbidden Planet. It's certainly not a substitute for stereo, but there's definitely some noticeable "steering" which adds a bit of interest. I saw a NOS unused unit in place in Jeff Joseph's "Sabucat" screening room in LA recently, but we spent so much time running 3D there wasn't time to check out his print of North By Northwest with Perspecta.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
The problem I have had is finding a good list of what film were released in Perspecta. A friend brought over "North by Northwest" several years ago from a classic run house and it, I think, did say Perspecta on the leaders but it was not. He also had "GiGi" with him and it was indeed. It seems that some of the films have been remixed. Not all say Perspecta in the credits.

I do agree even though it is not stereo it does indeed add a depth of sound to the picture. I wish the DVD makers would give us the option of hearing the sound as it was in it's first release.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've rebuilt a couple of the Fairchild units and was there for the "Forbidden Planet" showing. The original unit that was installed at the Lowes didn't work, by the way, and the unit that you heard was trundled in at the last minute. It wasn't really set up for the proper levels, but the show sounded pretty good anyway, as you know. I repaired the broken Lowes unit last fall. I never had to melt out the wax on the Fairchilds, though. When I popped the tops on those filters, the caps were just sitting in there. I used a capacitor substitution box and just kept dialing until the filters were operating at the proper frequencies, then put in some pre-calibrated caps. The broken unit turned out to have a manufacturing defect that had gone unnoticed since the thing was built! In addition someone had tried to rewire it in order to use it with a different preamp. As far as I know, it's back in the rack now. Bob Furmanek would probably be able to tell you which films were done with the process. By the way, there was another unit manufactured by Hare that made the Fairchild look like something from Radio Shack. It was far superior. I've worked on them also and they're built much better than the Fairchilds.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-12-2003 08:17 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller pulled the Perspecta unit off eBay before the auction ended. He says he will relist it, knowing now that it is a decoder not an amp.

[ 06-12-2003, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Steve Kraus ]

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 04:56 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of these days I'd like to cobble together a unit with some op amps and a set of filters. It's those low frequency bandpass filters that are the problem. I especially liked the fact that the fellow claimed the unit was still in use until recently. That must have been one heckuva sound system.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been impressed with the solid state card from the UK that replaces the cat 150

I would like to find the alignment reel for perspecta one day

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-13-2003 05:01 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eh...just do it in software with custom DSP programming for the digital CP of your choice.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-21-2003 06:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its back on E-Bay again if anyone is interested in it......
Mark

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3030885434&category=3284

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 06-21-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Mark, you know you want it!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-21-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Na, No Interest at all. Remember I'm building a steam loco..... building high end home audio gear, photography, working too many hours, and have two dogs to tend to. Anyway, If I was interseted in Perspecta I'd buy the solid state card from England anyway.... Perspecta...thats just another one of those gimmicks like [dlp] to lure folks back into the theatres..... And, like SDDS [Eek!] , it all has to be in perfect working order for it to properly decode!!

Mark

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2003 08:05 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perspecta ranks on about the same level as those 1956 recordings of "Ping Pong Percussion", or the "Now I am standing on the right"....."Now I am standing on the left" stereo demo. Just think; someday they'll wonder why we were so impressed with plain old digital sound. Now that I've heard the new DVD recordings, I wonder why I thought CD's were so great, but I still listen to my wind-up Victor Orthophonic now and then.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The problem I have had is finding a good list of what film were released in Perspecta.
I've tried to assemble such a list on more than one occasion in the past ten years, but I usually end up throwing the list away out of frustration! I've compiled numerous similar lists over the years (scope, 4-track mag, 70mm, etc.) but a list of Perspecta-encoded titles has proven to be extremely difficult. Without one gaining access to studio documentation, assembling an accurate list will remain a challenge.

I once read an unpublished article where a (not-so-very-well-respected) film historian made a claim that over 3,000 productions had used Perspecta. I find that difficult to believe.

quote:
Not all say Perspecta in the credits.
I think very few of them mentioned Perspecta in the credits. Paramount's 1956 War And Peace and a couple of the Akira Kurosawa productions are titles seen recently that did have a credit.

quote:
I wish the DVD makers would give us the option of hearing the sound as it was in it's first release.
The only example of this I can think of is Criterion's The Hidden Fortress, which had a Dolby Digital 3.0 DVD soundtrack attempting to replicate the original Perspecta effect.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2003 02:32 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I can tell you:

MGM used Perspecta on everything (cartoons, shorts, even trailers) between the Summer of 1954 and sometime in 1957. The first US release was BETRAYED and the first in the UK was KNIGHTS OF THE ROUNDTABLE. They stopped sometime in 1957. JAILHOUSE ROCK was one of the last titles with Perspecta.

Warner Bros. used it on its A features starting with LUCKY ME in the Fall of 1954. I don't know when they stopped.

Paramount used it on its VistaVision releases starting with WHITE CHRISTMAS in 1954. They stopped sometime in 1956.

Universal-International used it on their A features starting in the Fall of 1954. They stopped in 1957.

United Artists used it on some features. The first was THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA in 1954.

Allied Artists also used it occasionally. The only title that I know for sure with Perspecta was INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS.

I can find no record of Columbia, RKO, or Republic using it.

Each studio had their own approach to the process. MGM, Universal and Warner Bros. went for all out panning throughout the entire film. The tracks that I've heard include Forbidden Planet, Black Shield of Falworth, One Desire, The Benny Goodman Story, This Island Earth, Brigadoon and King Richard and the Crusaders. When mixed properly (the Universal prints would occasionally have problems with exaggerated gain levels) it was very effective.

Paramount was very selective, and only used the left/right speakers for dramatic effect. For instance, the VistaVision music begins in the center speaker. As the V comes forward and the music swells up, the audio kicks in at top level on all 3 speakers. It's a very effective use of the process. However, the audio is mostly center channel except for an occasional off-screen voice or sound effect. I've heard White Christmas, Seven Little Foys, Three Ring Circus, Strategic Air Command, You're Never Too Young and several others. They're not terribly impressive if you're looking for full directional sound.

I haven't heard the UA titles, and only reel one of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Except for the main titles, everything else was center channel.

While there may be something like 100-150 features in the system, I would not put any stock in someone's claim that there were thousands!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: