Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Odd blemish during show

Author Topic: Odd blemish during show
Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During projection, there is an odd glare on the screen. It does not look like a hot spot or from an improperly focused bulb. I could best describe it as two fine streaks very close together in the middle of the screen. Nobody has ever complained about it except my brother [Mad] . I see it in both screens at my theatre. Cleaned all optics and I still see it. I guess it has to be a slight problem with the lens ?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have light escaping from the lamphouse? Shut the hand dowser and lower the house lights and see if they are still there. [beer]

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 06-06-2003 12:45 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you see it on both screens? Sounds like there may be something behind both screens causing a reflection of light.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-06-2003 02:06 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be a reflection from some framework holding up the center speaker? Is it visible from all locations in the auditorium?

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2003 10:05 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen light leaks from EXIT lights....Jim

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2003 10:11 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Straight streaks, or curved ones?

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 06:33 AM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a straight streak that turned out to be a stray beam from the lamphouse reflecting through an open door and off the shiny surface of a framed movie poster [eyes]

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 02:26 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike P., after doing what you said as far as I can tell there is no light escaping from the lamphouse. I looked around behind the screen and in the theatre and I don't see a cause there. Greg, its two straight steaks. It only is really visible during light scenes, and even then it is not a major problem but I don't like not knowing the cause of problems. The way it looks though my gut says its coming from the lamphouse. These cinemeccanica's have the air tube cooling the anode, could this cause a disturbance in the light ?

Ps-John A.,that's some run away beam.

Phillip Seib
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 03:16 AM      Profile for Phillip Seib   Email Phillip Seib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmine,
Hows the screen. Is it streaked from soda or other liquids.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-08-2003 03:23 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of the screen, by close together do you mean the streaks are about 6-8 feet apart and (nearly) top to bottom? Is it the seams in the screen showing up?

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 04:48 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any stains on the screen from liquids. The streaks are almost right next to each other, no more than a few inches apart and they cover a bit more than three quarters of the screen top to bottom. O'Shea there are no seams , if by seams you mean ends joined together, to show up.

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 05:11 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do the streaks appear with no film threaded and only white light? How about with the lens pulled? Or does it only happen with the flat or just the scope? How about the portglass? Is there any weird reflections coming off the frame? I'm stumped [Confused]

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 08:56 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a long time on one of our screens at a theater I used to work at had a strange L-shape of light on it. After looking at all the projection-related causes, we found it was one of the side walkway lights shining up on the metal hand rail of the stadium section, and bouncing up onto the screen! [Eek!]

If it's only in the really light scenes, it sounds like something is being reflected back FROM the screen rather than stray light hitting your image. If you can't see the streaks when you move around the auditorium, then it HAS to be something behind there, even if it doesn't look obvious. It could even be a row of those little nail things with the discs around them that hold up the insulation-type stuff to the back wall?

=TMP=

Carmine Occhino
Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Carmine Occhino   Email Carmine Occhino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the replies guys...I discovered the problem. I ran light on the screen and marked the spot where the streak is. Then I got as close to the screen as possible and ran my finger across the spot. Turns out there is a seam there, which I could'nt see, and the streaks are appearing on both sides of the seam. Again, it is not very noticeable and I wouldn't bother with it but I'm curious if there is a fix for that such as tightening the screen. Thanks Daryl C.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: