Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS mid-show reset... why???

Author Topic: DTS mid-show reset... why???
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-05-2003 02:23 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were screening "2Fast, 2Furious, 2Loud" last night, when the sound... unfortunately during a period of extreme surround "movement" dropped back to SR.

When I went upstairs to check why, I found the DTS-6D unit in the process of rebooting... I guess. The drives were doing that flashy stuff they always do when you change a disk.

Anyway, the system found its mark and switched back to digital on its own. It's the first time I've ever seen this unit do this. Anyone have ideas, suggestions, possible reasons? It was around the beginning of the last reel. Sorry I don't have more detail... will probably re-run the print this evening.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2003 02:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Put the discs into your computer and try to copy/paste the files to your hard drive. See if the files transfer ok or not. (You can just delete them after this.) The only times I've seen the dts player reboot during a show was due to faulty discs, and this quick test verified a read error.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-05-2003 02:29 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Brad. I'll do that today.

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like you may have bad discs. Watch the light on the drives themselves, if that light comes on solid, then it means the drive cannot read the disc. Let me know (send me an email) if that happens and I'll send you new discs. Be sure to include your theater's shipping address in the email.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 06-05-2003 09:22 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Brad has mentioned in the past, if you have one bad set of DTS-CDs but another set from another print you can slap together good CDs from both. The copying files from CD test is a good troubleshooting trick in diagnosing and even fixing the problem.

CD burners are cool. [Cool]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2003 09:35 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Since we're on the subject of damaged discs...

Karen - for the last month or so I have only seen dts discs come in the good thick cd case. I have also had zero defective discs, just like was always the case before. Is this going to be a permanent switch? I hope so. [Smile]

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2003 12:59 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad,

Yes, we have since gotten rid of the slim cases and are only using the heavy cases from now on.

Thanks to all of you who helped by sending me your damaged discs in slim cases.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-09-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to get discs (with my new prints out of Toronto) in paper sleeves every once in awhile. I believe I got a few a week or two ago. Hopefully that'll stop too. Maybe they need some spare jewel cases at the depot?

Karen Hultgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-13-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Karen Hultgren   Author's Homepage   Email Karen Hultgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The paper sleeves might still be used when sending trailer discs. But, all feature film discs will be in the larger hard plastic cases.

Karen at DTS
khultgren@dtsonline.com

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-15-2003 09:54 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this with 'Old School'. On the first copy of the disc, reel 1 failed and then when we received the replacement disc, reel 5 failed. Fortunately, by this time the Filmguard had cleaned up the SRD track and we were able to screen in SRD comfortably.

Interesting though that though they both failed, they were in different spots.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: