Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BACP LED Scanner kit for DP-70 Available (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BACP LED Scanner kit for DP-70 Available
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-05-2003 12:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to post a pix of the new BACP DP-70/AA-2 LED scanner retrofit. This was shown at this years Showest and we have received the first ten production units from BACP. I will post a complete write up on how this mod is done, and how to machine the casting in the near future.
Mark @ CLACO

The first photo is after I completed machining the ten sound reproducer castings......

-

This photo is of a totally rebuilt and refinished DP-70 with the new BACP reader after being installed in a new 8 plex.

-

Completely remanufactured machine as installed in the new 8 plex. DTS "attic" reader installation also shown. Note the re-silvered cooling plate.

-

|  IP: Logged

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 01:39 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful job, beautiful pictures Mark. I wish I had a DP 70!

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 06:21 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
That is one really clean DP70.........with the DTS reader mod as well.........wanna trade..?

Paul--

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-05-2003 09:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,
These were taken down to bare metal and then re-finished with the original color paint. The interior is done with Dupont Imron
Mark

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 07:50 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Kinda slite difference between your "new super Paint job" and mine.
Course I need to tend to some house cleaning on mine.
I'll get there...........!
Great photos though.
Have you found homes for the 23 DP70's you recently aquired?

The trade offer still stands........!!!!!!!!!

Paul--

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-2003 07:52 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Incredible work as always, Mark! Those pictures look like you took them straight off of the assembly line. [thumbsup]

I am interested in how you mounted that failsafe. Can you get a closer pic? I suppose this limits you to 2000' reels now, but from the looks of it this is a platter installation anyway.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 09:51 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what it is but it sure looks great [Big Grin]
Seriously though, looks like a fine piece of craftsmanship [thumbsup]

P.S. Love the CAT113C you sent me Mark [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-06-2003 01:17 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone for the compliments. These rebuilds are a team effort so Earl Schaffer and Clayton Stauffer get equal share of the credit due. Here is a shot of how Earl re-wires them so there are all different color wires instead of all green! It is also greatly simplified.

-

Brad, The detector, standard Kelmar, mounts on thick an alumnium plate that screws in place of the fire trap. If the cans were still on I think 4K reels might fit....but this is a platterized(SPECO) plex.

-

Paul, Would be happy to refinish yours any time. Just haul it out to us. There is a guy in Ft Wayne Indiana that used to work for me that has also done omplete refinish jobs on DP-70's...... Don't think he used Imron on the inside though. The Imron on these is almost a hundred bucks a gallon!

Mark @ CLACO

The thing that amazes me is that the DTS never even thinks of faultering! The BACP scanner conversions sound great and are a far cry over the Todd slit mod...... With a good analog track you don't know if its analog, or digital.

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Mark what can I say?

These would pass as a center-fold in a Film-Techer's version of Playboy.

Beautiful job.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 06:17 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just haul it out to us
Great photos of great, great job - Bravo, Mark !
But with about half way 'round the globe to get it done, it may now be time to mumble a word or two about God Damned heavy DP70.

p.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 06:39 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
The wiring job is "five stars" in the lower base, even the tilt mount ajusting bolts are painted.
I saw a totally restored DP70 in the booth at the Seattle Cinerama Theater a couple of years ago while seeing the restruck 2001 in 70mm............I thought that was clean.......wow!
Its really to bad these babys are so heavey.......and hard to move around.
Mark, maybe you could post a full photo of the Norelco if it is assembled.
That white paint was well worth the cost.

Paul--

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi -

-

We've done similar rebuilds for venues over here - pix attached of electrics. These fit around the take up (retained) and allow interfacing to three other projectors, automation, fire alarms and two different platter systems. We've also added a new off the shelf motor on a custom bracket and inverter speed control - this allows smooth run up, speed changes and a quick "e" stop if the so called "self destruct" handle is moved.

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 11:17 AM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another shameless plug by Mr Hall.... [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-07-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there's nothing wrong with a shameless plug when the work is of that caliber!! We are looking foreword to installing veri speed drives on future rebuilds we will be doing. First we have to use up the Master, and G.E. motors we have since they are also still quite servicable.
The nice thing about the vari speed drives is that the motors are ALOT shorter allowing one of Brads complaints to be addressed.
Mark @ CLACO

Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 12:52 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only kidding, Peter has worked for me in the past and will do in the future. No probs with his work here! a shameless plug for Mr Hall !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: