Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » projectionist school?!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: projectionist school?!?
Brian Zeisler
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 07:15 AM      Profile for Brian Zeisler   Email Brian Zeisler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have been a projectionist for a little over 2 years now and the most technical thing i know is how to change a lamp (oooo, hard stuff, NOT). i REALLY want to learn more about projector maintenance and other assorted booth ops but there really isnt anyone around that can show me these things and the projecter manuals really arent any help anymore. is there some sort of school i can go to (perhaps the military) to learn these things or am i going to have to feel retarded all the time when my projecters start to make funny noises. [Confused]

(see also "century projecter maintenance" a few topics down from this one to understand "funny noises")

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-04-2003 10:15 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, get older manuals. The Century H manual (not the parts book) has step-by-step instructions for sub-unit disassemby and replacement.

Then, stick like glue to your tech on every service call. Observe and ask questions. If you ultimately want to become a service tech, there's no substitute for experience. Just keep at it. Many techs here started as projectionists. I was one for 8 years before I got my first service job.

Oh, yes, and get some books on basic electronics (again, if you're looking to become a tech, that is).

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 01:08 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinema Training Central

Brian Zeisler
Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Brian Zeisler   Email Brian Zeisler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
following the tech around would be a good idea, but the place im at doesnt have a in-house booth tech. the last booth tech i asked kinda blew me off, but i still go to him for advice every so often.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-05-2003 02:55 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don`t find the manuals you have very conclusive, read other manuals! There are many differences between all the projector types out there, but in principle they all do the same. Often comparing the different solutions for detail problems helps you gain a deeper understanding.
Have you really read all the manuals you have? Have you read the Dolby manuals (installation, not operation). They contain a lot of useful information. Read the CP50 manual. Since the process was new at that time, it explains the Dolby Stereo principles in great detail. Download WinDRAS and CP650 setup. Read the help files. Also take a look at the SDDS setup software. Chances are that you will never use it in your lifetime, but the help is very good and explains a lot about setting up a sound system that also applies to other systems.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 04:05 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, Tim & Michael are right on about reading manuals, especially older manuals as they go into more detail. Be sure to read all kinds of manuals besides projector manuals. Don't assume changing a lamp is easy all the time - cuz it isn't.

But as Tim said, there's no substitue for experience. If there's still a projectionist union where you are get in touch with them. They may be able to help. Look around for theatres with dedicated projectionists and talk to them - they may have different equipment than what you're used to running and and be willing to show you the ropes.

I'd also suggest picking up an old Super8 or 16mm projector to tinker with. Of course if you can pick up a 35 projector that would be great. Since you work in a theatre you're halfway there - just keep your ear to the ground and one will come along.

If you can get in somewhere that runs manually reel to reel (especially film festivals) you'll gain a wealth of experience and knowledge. Learn the importance of never losing a show and all that entails. Go work for another theatre (like an art-house)and when you have that down, move to another one. Watch movies in other theatres and take in the pros and cons of their presentations.

If your tech is neither helpful nor willing to answer your questions, it sounds like it's time to find another one. There are some really good techs out there who don't have a piss-poor/holier-than-thou attitude.

Last but not least, listen to your elders.

Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree listen to your elders!

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say, get a new, freindlier tech and put a DEATH GRIP on him when he's going around the booth working. Ask every question that comes to mind, eveni f you think it's stupid. Like they always say, the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. Most of the techs I've met have been very friendly and very willing to show people the ropes, and are usually as excited to teach you as you are to learn.

Also, for a pretty basic overview, in the dowloads section, there is a pdf file called "Projectionist Study Material" or something to that effect. I'm not exactly sure what it originally came from (although I'd take the guess that it's an older Canadian licensing test?) but it's a pretty good overview of some basic booth knowledge that everybody who works in the booth should know. I always give copies of it to my new trainees, first as just the questions, and then a few days later, all the answers.

And last of all, stay fixed to Film-Tech.com like your ass is glued to the chair! You'll learn more about the business from these guys and gals than you can imagine.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-05-2003 11:59 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would be surprised by how many technicians don`t have a clue about what they are doing. That is why they don`t like to be asked questions. Of course, you also have to make sure you do not distract them - they are in the cinema primarily to work, not answer questions. But I agree that most good technicians like to share some insights.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-05-2003 03:20 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right Andrew, those notes were for projectionists in Ontario. They're actually copies (a few errors and all - not mine) of my old notes from way before I even got a license.

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2003 12:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal. I love giving just the questions to kids who are new to the booth and putting on a serious face saying "you've got 30 minutes to finish this...if you fail we're going to have to let you go..." and watching their reactions [Smile]

I've been kindof halfheartedly looking for a New York licensing test for a bit now, mostly because...well, let's face it. I'm a bit of a dorky completist.

Barry, I had never seen that CTC stuff before. Has anybody gone through any of their classes/seminars? Would they be worth my sending some of the newer guys I work with to? Buffalo's only a few hours from me.

Randy Loy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-09-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Randy Loy   Email Randy Loy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew,

My wife and I attended Cinema Training Central's Primary Cinema Training course last year and think it is top notch. While our course was an overview of cinema operations and management, it did include a day in the booth with one of CTC's techs and was very good. Therefore, I'm betting that a CTC course that is specific to the booth would be excellent.

CTC teaches their courses during the day at a multi-screen venue in downtown Buffalo. Since the theatre doesn't open until the afternoon, CTC has the facility completely to themselves for instructional use. Very nice!

Jim Lavorato, President of Entertainment Equipment Corporation, can answer any questions you might have. CTC is the training arm of EEC.

Randy

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 03:02 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several Kodak people from Rochester have attended the CTC sessions in Buffalo and were very pleased. Several Film-Tech regulars are instructors.

Kodak ScreenCheck also offers Projection Training programs:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/screencheck/

Andrew Duggan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2003 03:31 PM      Profile for Andrew Duggan   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Duggan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal...wow, western New York...a real hotbed of cinema training [Smile]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 04:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kodak ScreenCheck projection training programs are coordinated out of Kodak's Culver City CA office by Don Lane. They have a projection lab/classroom there, but do go "on the road" offering classes too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: