Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SMPTE std's for cropping and light

Author Topic: SMPTE std's for cropping and light
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-03-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the "real" SMPTE standard that defines how much cropping in allowed, and screen brightness? Someone said cropping is defined in RP40, but it looks to me like it's only 'suggested' in that document.

BTW, I'm trying to create a document to go with installation bid packages that define things like "no more than 5% crop" ... "set the crossovers first before EQ'ing", etc. It seems silly to have a contract that states little things like; the installer must also set the processor's bypass volume level, but this kind of thing has been overlooked too many times before.

I would be glad for a 'peer review' of this document. If anyone is interested in seeing what I wrote so far, I can post it here. I want to create a reasonable list of what to expect from a good installer.

|  IP: Logged

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I would be interested in seeing it. I remember years ago, we turned down an installation contract in Asia, when we came across the clause:
"Contractors agree to supply their own arms and ammunition."

[ 06-04-2003, 08:37 PM: Message edited by: Rick Long ]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-07-2003 10:05 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as cropping goes...in the SMPTE it is a tough nut to crack. Generally, less than 5% is desired and 10% or more is considered not good enough.

The industry has a growing problem though. As focal lengths are getting shorter, the fringe area is getting wider/taller (the shadow area created by the distance of the aperture to the film plain plus the thickness of the plate itself). You'll lose 5% or more trying to put that fringe/shadow area on the masking.

Also, the SMPTE is not specific on the amount of overscan that can be counted on. That is, if the maximum width is .825-inches, then how far can the aperture plate be safely overcut before disaster results? Can you cut out to say .840" and not see any DTS track on the left or clear/blue lines on the right? It isn't defined. As such, .825" can only be truely interpreted to be the MAXIMUM opening and cropping measurement starts there.

So, lets say you cut your aperture plate so you just barely start to see the .825" line...then close the masking down to hide the shadow and present a nice crisp edge...then fin that you are now only showing the audience out to .800 inches. There is 3% right there. Now what about keystone? If the aperture plate must also take into account keystone issues, it is quite easy for one to exceed 5% cropping.

I would therefore dismiss any percentage cropping requirement (and have done so). It is something beyond the installer's control. The design of the theatre and equipment is not in the installer's perview. Thus, you can't hold them accountable for that which they can not control.

Now, not setting bypass levels is another story....that is something they clearly should and within their control.

Steve

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny this topic came up I was thinking of asking a question about this...I just finish installing an 18-screen theatre just north of Cincinnati Ohio, using SMPTE RP-40 our picture is at SMPTE spec, but when viewing a projected picture without the aperture plate I have a picture 2.5 to 3 feet above, below & on the sides of the screen masking...so is SMPTE RP-40 wrong or is the film makers making movies that is outside SMPTE specs ??? Something is wrong here here !!! [Eek!]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2003 06:29 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don, this may help :

SMPTE 59-1998 defines the camera aperture image dimensions, and all "Flat" films are recommended to be shot in 1:1.37 Academy to allow for flexibility when doing later transfers for DVD, video, etc. The DP composes for 1:1.85 or 1:1.66 using frame lines marked on the ground glass in the camera viewfinder.

The 1:1.37 dimensions are larger than those used in projection however, at 0.866ins x 0.630ins approx. Likewise 'Scope is defined as 0.866ins x 0.732ins approx. This is to allow for printer cutoff, etc.

If you've got large screens, that would explain the large areas of picture visible on the masking when the aperture plate is out, despite your meticulous adherence to RP40!

Best

Brian

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-08-2003 10:58 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I can research;

SMPTE 196M-1995 defines the type of light meter, where in the auditorium to measure the screen light, and what the screen brightness should be. Interestingly, it allows as much as 22fL for theaters, which seems too much, but I'm sure rarely happens anyway.

SMPTE 195-1995 gives the projected image dimentions, but doesn't seem to actually state min/max (croping) values. At our theater chain, we'd liketo see no more than 3%, with 5% the maximum. Of course, we do have a few, "oops!' screens to fix...

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-11-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don Sneed asked:

quote:
...but when viewing a projected picture without the aperture plate I have a picture 2.5 to 3 feet above, below & on the sides of the screen masking...so is SMPTE RP-40 wrong or is the film makers making movies that is outside SMPTE specs ???
The camera image area (SMPTE 59) is larger than the projectable image area, as is the printed image area (SMPTE 111). Otherwise, you risk showing "hairs in the camera gate" or unwanted "garbage" outside the projectable image areas specified by SMPTE 195.

The original THX TAP Guidelines had a section on allowable cropping of <3% recommended and <5% allowed:

http://www.film-tech.com/manuals/TAPGUIDELINES.pdf

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-15-2003 10:51 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as how brightness standard levels are arrived at, that was a question someone once asked me years ago and I really didn't have any answer. How did the SMPTE come up with 16ftL? And wasn't there an SMPTE Journal article a few years ago where studies were done with images of much higher brightness 22-27ftL? They found that test subjects found the brighter screens preferable, even though increasing brighness increases the perception of flicker? Yet, there is projectionist I know who vehemently hates bright screens....says brighter screens "look horrible."

So is a lot of this subjective? Did a few SMPTE folks sit down and look at various brightness levels and say, "Gee, that looks good" and then measured it, found it was 16ftL and bingo, they had a standard? I say this facetiously, knowing that the screen brightness is the end of a long chain of meticulous processes designed to match what is seen by the camera, through emulsion types, the printer settings, etc, to what is eventually seen on the screen. But in the end, someone sitting in front of a screen has to say, "Yup, that's it....that brighness looks perfect." And that last, final evaluation has to be fraught with subjectivity, as was proven by ordinary people in the test who seemed to prefer images brighter than the 16ftL standard.

Frank

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 06-16-2003 07:19 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't always 16 footlamberts! American Standard PH22.39-1953 specified "The brightness at the center of the screen for viewing 35mm motion pictures in theatres shall be 10 +4/-1 footlambert when the projector is running with no film in the gate." But by American Standard PH22.133-1963, the standard for review rooms had been established at 16 +/- 2 footlamberts.

I recall that Glenn Berggren and Bobby Pinkston were very involved in writing the current standard, which allows up to 22 footlamberts. In the early 1980's, some favored LOWERING the aim from 16 footlamberts, to accomodate theatres who were not meeting the standard, but "Brighter is Better" prevailed. Almost everyone agrees that anything lower than 10 footlamberts greatly compromises image quality. The upper limit is really defined by the perception of shutter flicker, which becomes objectionable for most people at about 25 footlamberts (2-blade shutter, 24fps). Of course a three-blade shutter or higher frame rates would allow even higher screen luminance without flicker.

I have projected "normal" prints (timed at 16 footlamberts) at 60 footlamberts using a three-blade shutter, and the images are amazingly good. But for most theatres, the low efficiency of a three-blade shutter makes achieving these high luminances on a large screen impractical.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: