Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica V5 Problem

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica V5 Problem
Dan Parnham
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 04:38 AM      Profile for Dan Parnham   Email Dan Parnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have found that the Spring Guide Roller (Part 007) is causing the film to push out at an angle (usually the non-soundtrack side) before it enters the gate. This in turn causes problems where only half of the image can be focussed properly.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 04:49 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, Does the roller open and close freely? Id remove it and clean it, maybe add some lubrication. Sometimes they get gummed up and squeeze the film instead of expanding to the film width. Hope this helps. Mike [beer]

Dan Parnham
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 04:51 AM      Profile for Dan Parnham   Email Dan Parnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried removing it, cleaning it and oiling it, but that didn't seem to make a difference. Could it be that the spring tension needs reducing?

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 05:01 AM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the film being cinched or does it have free play. It could also be the alignment of the screws holding the roller. I don't have one in front of me, but from the manuals and what i can recall you can adjust the position of the roller horizontally with the screws.

Dan Parnham
Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Dan Parnham   Email Dan Parnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to adjust the position of the roller so that the unsprung side is as inline with the gate as possible. I have also ensured that it isn't pinched tight so that it spins nicely.
Dan

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had this same trouble on a Vic 8, and eventually traced the problem to the fact that the film was not entering the gate rollers in a straight line.
This was because the top feed sprocket was slightly out of alignment.
If you slacken off the screw holding the top sprocket on to it's shaft by about 1 to1 ½ turns you will find that it will slide backwards & forwards by about 3mm.
Lace up some film, and move the sprocket backwards & forwards. Observe how the film enters the gate rollers.
When it appears to be straight tighten up the sprocket screw.
Run test film.
Another cause could be that the circlip holding the roller spring in place has broken, and the correct tension is not being applied to the spring.

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this a newer curved gate? If so I have seen the tension bands become bent/damaged and cause left/right focus problems.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-03-2003 11:00 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good lord, why on earth would anyone want to even mess around with a VIC 5???? Pieces of junk!
Mark

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 03:59 PM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good lord, why on earth would anyone want to even mess around with a VIC 5???? Pieces of junk!

Mark

quote # two:

"always but the negative waves, man - wrooff ! "

Oddball

Happpy thoughts

[Razz]

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 06-03-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one time I was called to a theater with this problem, it turned out that the operator was simply threading with a too large upper loop. (This was with the older, flat gate design.)

Mark - I know V5's are not very popular, but I used one for many years with few problems. Now, if you want to see (or, in our case continously fix) a P.O.S. projector, buy a few Ernamann 15's. [puke] I would trade them for V5's any day.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-03-2003 10:33 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
GCC used to have V5s all over town before they pulled out of the south. We had very little problems out of them. In fact, I'd say the local Simplex and Century theaters were on par or had more problems than the Cinemeccanica theaters. Plus, the Cinemeccanica machines are insanely gentle on film...moreso than a Simplex or a Century. They are far from "junk". (I would've put other brands in the comparison, but in the early 90's when I was doing work for GCC, the entire town was all Century/Simplex/Cinemeccanica with no other options.)

Plus the threading path is almost identical to a DP70 and they weigh roughly 8000 pounds less! [Razz]

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-03-2003 11:18 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad. In Ontario, these days, we are now about 70% Strong equipment (relatively new) and 30% Cinemeccanica Vic 5's (about 15 years old).

With the Vic. 5, keep the gearbox lubricated, and change the belts once a year (and the changeover blade every 10 years or so) and they seem to last quite well.

Dan Parnham
Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 05:12 AM      Profile for Dan Parnham   Email Dan Parnham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

In answer to a few of the above responses:

It is a straight gate model.
I will check out the top sprocket alignment (thanks Hugh)

In reply to Mark:
We are only a student cinema at york university, not a commercial cinema. The V5 was a reconditioned model which we acquired last year to replace our ancient Kaylee and we're very happy with it thanks [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: