Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Alternative sound reader cells

Author Topic: Alternative sound reader cells
Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello ,
I've been looking for those std solar cells for film sound for over a year now and everytime I get prices for them from theatre suppliers here where I live, I have a strong wish to smack their heads with a hammer..one single cell without any kind of bracket or whatever will cost me about $250!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] absolutely no way. won't throw away all that for a single cell.. I know they're way cheaper than that but I still didn't find out where to get them for the fair price. A friend of mine once found them but the company turned down his order just because it was a foreign order. [Mad]
Well, here's the question.. Is there anything else other than those sollar cells I'd try as an alternative reader for stereo film sound? ( red leds,lasers, reverse scans are out of question here since they'll go for at least 8 times that price or more [thumbsdown] )
I have 3 projectors that I'm going to switch from mono to stereo readers and I'm looking for stereo readers for them. Some people suggested me to take the mono cell and cut a slit along it, like if I was cutting it in half or then getting 2 mono cells from 16MM readers and putting them toguether. but.. No.. I've seen that and know far too well that it sounds [bs] [Frown] .
Is there anyhting I could do about it or only the real stereo cell will do?
Thanks! [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 01:08 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious why you'd want to change to anything but a red reader? When/if Cyan hits the market, you'll need it anyway. If you're dealing with "cost resistance", you might be better off just staying with what you have. The first time you get a cyan print and can't run it, you'll get the OK to convert to red readers fast. If you go out and buy a stereo cell, you might find that your money people won't want to replace it... and when you get a cyan print, a Jaxlight is probably the best you'll get them to buy.

As for "cutting" a mono cell... forget it. That's not practical, if at all possible.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 04:12 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am assuming he is converting machines for his own personal use. Dolby, through their dealers, have two types of stereo cells available as raw cells in the $50 - 80 range and up.....Kelmar chip on a plexiglas-mount are in the same price area in the USA.....with the average 60% import tax it is still less than $250.00.....but most local service people would of course add a profit. Most prints in Brazil are manufactured within the country so I feel they are not on as a tight a schedule to convert as are other parts of the world.

Christos Mitsakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 05:56 AM      Profile for Christos Mitsakis   Email Christos Mitsakis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any raw cells in circulation. We have REAL difficulty
finding here, even from Dolby dealers. Their response is Dolby NO More sells older cells (even with brackets) because they're "supporting" [Confused] the red led conversion.
I would very much like to have three or four spare cells.

C.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 02:46 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
First, sorry for not making myself very clear in the first post ,I'm aware of the change to cyan tracks and know that the red leds or lasers reader kits are out there for that purpose but the reasons I'm not running behind them are ,mostly the ones Richard mentioned in his post. The prints are made here and from what I've heard, cyan tracks are far way away from showing up here , the other reason is also another one Richard said, one of the machines is for my personal use ( but not for a long time.. I small collection is getting smaller quite fast) and the other two machines are from small theatres that are trying to survive.
The raw cell is what I'm looking for , only the chip without the plastic mount.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DPN33008 is the stereo cell from Dolby with a list price of $75.00...I would assume it is available since laser or Halogen with a red dichoric set up require a stereo solar cell....something you would not find in the Rua Guismo area, but I saw many ampmeters and shunts [Wink]
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 03:24 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a major cost involved in shipping there? Seems a bunch of us must have old stereo cells around in our "spares" box... including me, I think.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 04:32 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah it's is extremely expensive to ship stuff to S. America

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh...
Well.. depending on what you're going to send, it's size and weight, yeah.. shipping can be expensive. Greg had one bad expereience with it some time ago, hey Greg, if there is something you 're looking for and think I may help with, let me know [Smile] I know that box wasn't nowhere cheap to have it sent.
Recently I got some stuff from the US and the shipping cost was $28.00 ( it was some service manuals and somewhat heavy)
Since stereo cells are small parts and light, sending them in one of those envelopes with that bubble plastic linning inside of it will be around the $10 range or something .

Richard, .. Rua Guismo ?? Did you watch both gremlins movies this weeked too? [Smile] I did. Some street's names here can be very tricky to pronounce and even write in another language,I can't complain.. there are many foreign names I can't pronounce properly or pronounce at all [Embarrassed] ,But I know that street and all that place , I go there at least once a week [Smile] but still didn't find the amp metters I mentioned in another post yet.Going to look for them again next time I go there.
$75.00 for a new stereo cell ? looks like an ok price to me.. a lot less than what they ask for one here

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 09:55 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luciano....I butcher three languages with impunity [Wink] I have to catch up to my late father's five and my late grandfather's nine tongues they used during their business life.
The "electronic" district in Sao Paulo consists of 100's of shops plying commerce to a high art....like a super Radio Shack or Walmart on steroids [Big Grin] .....and always fun.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-2003 10:11 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,
after thinking about what to do regarding the sound cells, I think that the best way is getting the right part and give up on trying other stuff .Now the only problem is find these sound cells with the right price.I'd like some advice/help about that.
I posted something in the equipment for sale/wanted , twice if i recall it right, looking for these cells. but no return, it was several months ago if not more .

Richard, I think that a Radio Shack + a Wallmart ( of electronics)toguether can beat that "electronic district" now..
It had better days.. now it's only computer poop and general mess. I was there today.. didn't find half of the parts list I need and came back home with a headache. I think I'll start buying electronic/electric parts tru the net.. once I find a place to do so.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: