Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question :Simplex vs Brenkert Dowser

Author Topic: Question :Simplex vs Brenkert Dowser
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 10:35 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is a Simplex dowser mechanically the same as a Brenkert dowser as far as plunger travel?
Second question, how far does the dowser shutter travel in the gate area? About 2" or to where it completely clears the aperture?
I have a simplex dowser that I was going to use on my BX80 if possible but the plunger travel appears to be too short.
Your thoughts are welcomed!

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 01:10 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the mounting brackets are different as well as the length of the cable (stroke).

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-02-2003 02:57 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump this up sometime during the day on Thursday and I'll measure them both for you Sam. I believe I'll be working at a theatre that has BX-60's and Super Simplexes that night.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-08-2003 01:24 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid me forgot to write down the measurements I made on Thursday, but I took some pictures which we can get measurements from anyway.

The stroke on the Simplex is about 1.4 inches. The stroke on the Brenkert is about 1.6 inches. Since, if I remember correctly, the changeover shutter is closer to the aperture plate on the Brenkert than on the Simplex... the 1.4" stroke should be sufficient. The tricky part would be mounting the Simplex c/o to the Brenkert.

You could probably mount it by making a metal bracket that wraps around the entire unit so that you can bolt it to the post (or threaded hole) on the top of your Brenkert.

Some pictures from a Super Simplex and a BX-60.

-
Simplex changeover shutter in the down position.

-
Simplex changeover shutter in the up position.

-
Brenker changeover shutter in the down position.

-
Brenkert changeover shutter in the up position.

-
Brenkert changeover mounting.

edit: I just realized you have a BX-80 and not a BX-60. I don't know how/if they are different in regards to the changeover shutter. I'd say if you've got some spare time and already have the Simplex c/o to stick it in and manually pull the shutter up and down. If, with the lamphouse on, it makes the screen dark when down, and doesn't cause a shadow on the bottom of the image when it is up, it'll work. [Smile] [Big Grin] Just be careful not to hit the rotating shutter when you've got it sitting in there.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-08-2003 10:34 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Daryl, I plated with the one I have on my spare BX80 and I dont know it it will work or not. I would like to have a working dowser for a brenkert though. I would say the gate areas for all the brenkerts are the same.
Later.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 06-09-2003 09:35 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will find that the BX-60, 80, and RCA-100 use the same plunger and cable.

However, be aware the orginal Brenkert Douser of the orginal's orginal configuration is a completely different critter and will probably not fit anything except itself. Sam, you don't have that kind I speak of, this is of just general information.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: