Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help with Neumade PRT ULTRA rewind table

Author Topic: Help with Neumade PRT ULTRA rewind table
Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently picked up a Neumade PRT Ultra rewind bench. I'm hoping you guys can give me advice on how to get it back to like-new condition after sitting idle for several years.
Pics were taken with table flipped and legs off after transport to my house.

-

First, does the motor need any care at all? There is no oil cup on this, as I've seen on other Neumade table motors. I checked the brushes which I have arrows pointing to. They're actually inch long pieces of what look like graphite.

-

The shafts are pretty tight on the arms themselves, do these need to be greased or oiled? If so, with what and how.

What about the tension pad? What is it made of? It appears to be some very hard, linoleum-like substance. Does it need to be oiled or anything like the pads do in take-up arms?

-

Not Pictured: Question about the legs. I've seen the horizontal bracing bar both on the operator side, and on the backside of these tables. Does it matter which way it is assembled? <i'd like to put a reel cabinet underneath, which is only possible if the brace is in back>

Thanks
Danny

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 06-01-2003 09:28 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor shouldn't need any work, these motors will run many hours with no trouble and if the brushes are not worn down then it probably hasn't seen a lot of hard service.
The drag brake should run dry. It isn't unusual to set these up with a spring instead of the foot control, pretty easy to do with a piece of threaded rod and a compression spring. Drill out the brake shoe hole to pass a 1/4 threaded rod screwed into where the cable adjuster thingy belongs, a spring and nut on top allows adjustable constant tension. If you use it mostly for revising the footbrake is OK, but for general rewinding I like a constant tension.
The brace is mounted in back.
There should also be an odd microswitch with a wire lever and a reset button on the powered end that gets hit by the film flapping when rewound to shut the motor off.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-02-2003 12:24 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If this is anything like the Neumade tables that I've seen: when inspecting film, do NOT try to turn the right-hand reel backwards (counter clockwise) by hand! For some reason, the motor will not let the reel spin freely even when it is turned off. Most likely, you will break the "key" on the reel shaft if you try to turn it too hard.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 03:34 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info about the motor Dave.

Scott, you're correct, it's very difficult to turn the reel by hand. It's easiest to just slip the reel forward enough to disengage the dog/key if you pass a splice and need to go back.

Now I just need the info on how to lube the shafts. I don't think these have sealed bearings....

Danny

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-02-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the flimsy little keys on the Ultra's shafts are notorious for breaking off. However, with the drive-dog spindles (and a little effort) you can usually turn the reel against the motor, and usually it will "break free" after a while. I prefer not to pull the reel out because it tends to either slip forward on the shaft and fall off the spindle, or slip back and catch on the dog/key again.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 09:45 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the reason not to turn it backwards is that you are forcing against the pinion of the reduction gear as it is a right angle gear motor (like a RCA or SH1000 soundhead (don't try to turn the motor by the sprocket)

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-02-2003 10:50 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, what model of Neumades do you have that problem on? Our Neumade (a Supra-X, I think) works fine when turned anticlockwise by hand. Are they all open-belt (ours is covered, also with a forw/reverse switch, which might have something to do with it).

It sure sounds like it would make using the rewind inconvenient.

--jhawk

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-03-2003 04:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
jhawk--Look at the pics of the Wellesley College installation, which I think has the same mode Neumade that Danny has. I can't stand using that rewind bench for inspection purposes, though it's fine for rewinding reels. It only runs in one direction (clockwise) and doesn't have any reverse option at all. There are also other installations that I have seen that have a different bench with the same hardware that have this issue.

Give me a Kelmar (possibly modified for foot-pedal control) any day.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 12:13 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. I got it all cleaned up tonight. It's in the house now and running fine, except....

After I lubed up the shafts and got them spinning again, I put the spindles on and a junk reel of film. But, to my surprise, the full reel on the tension end was freely spinning, even though i was claming down the tension. It was then I discovered to my horror that one of the shafts that came with the table has no key!! [puke]
It just has a rusted out slot where the key must have busted off years ago. Which leads me to my forthcoming post on the Wanted forum.

Danny

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 06-04-2003 01:32 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the shaft is like almost every one I've seen, you could file down, bend and cut a nail so that it fits into the hole of the shaft and the back plate.

I've used nails as replacement keys on many rewinds... they usually last much longer than the 'proper' pieces.

Christopher Seo
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-04-2003 11:04 AM      Profile for Christopher Seo   Email Christopher Seo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't be too surprised that you're missing a key... you're going to want to stock up on a whole supply of them. [Frown] [Big Grin]

I never use a keyed shaft on an Ultra unless I absolutely have to (i.e., the reel has no drive holes). The keys on the Ultra-II, as well as Kelmar shafts, actually seem very robust indeed... and they aren't removable. However, I still wouldn't use them with larger than 2000' reels.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: