Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Periscopic projection (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Periscopic projection
Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 10:54 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know film has been projected through periscopes with 2 parallel mirrors.Can this be done with 2 mirrors that are at right angles to each other?

I'm looking to build an auditorium in which the film path would travel in a "U" shaped path. Because the mirrors aren't parallel, will I be able to hold focus across the screen?

BTW, George Bush assures me periscopic is a word.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-31-2003 12:14 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're talking about a vertical distance, you won't have to worry about focus... the second mirror rotated top-to-bottom about the light path will flip the image.

If you can, turn the projector in the direction of the screen, and then use the periscope to get the beam around to where you need it.

Not sure about horizontal periscopes, if that's what you're asking, but I would think you'd have the same situation - only with the image flipping sidewise.

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 01:10 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've heard these parascopes are more trouble than they are worth. I would think image stability would be a problem as well as getting a sharp focus. I'm sure it could be done but isn't there any other option?

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 05:29 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do i remember it right: was it between 30 and 40 % loss of light in one set of mirrors ??

Per

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 06:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some one north of here has been doing it for about 10 years. They are finally coming to there sensers and building the projection in the right place. they said the horizantal lines in the picture became bowed.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-31-2003 08:09 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many downsides to using mirrors. You must use optical-quality front-surface mirrors. Unless kept perfectly clean, the picture contrast will be adversely affected. Any vibration of the mirrors is magnified, and will appear as unsteadiness. There is a light loss at each mirror surface, which will depend upon the type of mirror and how clean it is.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-31-2003 12:09 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moyer's old Valley River Twin here in Eugene used mirrors. I only went there once. It's probably safe to say they were not paying a whole lot of attention to little things like cleanliness or alignment of those mirrors. [thumbsdown] What a horrible theatre - skanky in all respects. Luckily the place was eventually demolished and replaced with a Red Lobster restaurant.

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Astronomical first surface mirrors have coatings that will get to about 96% efficiency.
"Periscopic" appears in "Websters Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language" Copyright 1996 page 1442

Joe Beres
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 01:15 PM      Profile for Joe Beres   Email Joe Beres   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen a few theaters that projected film off of mirrors, and the presentation was always subpar. Why is it necessary? Can you tell us more? There are some ingenious perople here that could possibly come up with some other viable suggestions, If you really need to do it, I think you would definitely want to invest in some first surface mirrors and some very sturdy mounts. It would be a big investment though.

Greg Pauley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 01:47 PM      Profile for Greg Pauley   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Pauley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two auditoriums using mirrors since the mid seventies in small houses. These two auditoriums were built under a balcony and there was no option to raise the booth higher to get the proper angle to miss people’s heads without the mirrors. We really haven’t had that much problems with them over the years except for the light loss which causes you to run a larger bulb size. I don’t have any problem with image stability since the mirrors are mounted to the wall and ceiling in a very sturdy mount. I would never use mirrors unless there wasn’t any other option, but I wouldn’t be afraid to use them again if I had too.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-31-2003 03:04 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of London's main railway stations had 'news theatres' built in the '30s. The one at Victoria closed about twenty years ago, the one at Waterloo some time earlier. In their later days after the newsreels finished they ran cartoons. Originally they had slide lanterns to project train times and announcments on a small screen alongside the main one.

One of these, Waterloo I think, had the projection box built above the auditorium, with rear projection via mirrors, but it was later changed to a more conventional set-up, so I assume it didn't work too well.

Bernard, if you read this, do you know any more about these places? Both have now been demolished, and I never went to the Waterloo one. I was taken to the Victoria one when I was quite young, and I remember seeing a Laurel and Hardy film. I had never heard of L&H at that time. The following day it was anounced in the papers that Stan Laurel had died.

Was anything similar to this built at any of the American stations?

I went to the Victoria one on its last night, I think it was still Academy ratio only, until it closed, if I remember correctly. They were still using the original projectors, but wouldn't let anyone up to the box to see them until an original nitrate print of a newsreel from its opening year which they ran a couple of times had been removed. I had to leave to get somewhere else before this was done, so I didn't get to see them. The place was quite interesting architectually, but was demolished very soon after closure as part of a shopping development above the station. The plainer Waterloo one remained, unused, for many years after closure.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 03:58 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two 70's vintage AMC theatres here used periscopes. They did this so they did not have to put in a second level for a projection booth. The projectors sat level with the back of the theatre, then went up about 5 feet to clear the heads of the audience. I believe they stopped that practice by the '80's.

These were the early AMC shoebox style theatres. They were both 6-plexes and seemed HUGE at the time.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-31-2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TransLux used to have mirrors -- they were rear-projection, too; albeit their mirrors were in the lens barrels. And Plitt in Houston used to use a periscope arrangement to get over the corridor. Every time someone opened the door to the auditorium, the picture on the screen would go <wobbbbbobobobllllle!>

I've seen them in a bunch of drive-in twin-splits.

No, mirrors are never a good idea.

Peter Schoell
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 08:59 PM      Profile for Peter Schoell   Email Peter Schoell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks for all the input.
I have 2 reasons for putting in a screen with a periscope.

1) One of my theatres has a small store front as part of the building. I've had it rented about 5 times in the last 7 years and collected about $300.00 total! So I figure I can put in a small screen ( 14 feet) and about 40 seats, even if I only sell 300 seats a month that's $1200.00, also I don't have the empty store space, which is kind of an eyesore.

2) Also in this town is a drive-in that has 5 screens, an 85, 50, and 3 30ft screens. Since the movie companies will alow a drie-in to stack movies, and since they won't allow us to play the same movie at the same time, this means the drive-in can tie up 10 movies at a time. The movie companies usally give me first choice, but in the summer, when we have so many tittles opening each week and then having to hold them for 3 weeks, I sometimes have to pass because my three screens are full. The drive-in will take the film and hold it until labor day, this is what happened with Jurrasic Park 3 a couple of years ago. I ended up playing J3 after Labor Day for 1 pitiful week. I also end up terminating films before i'd like just so I can open something else and pay those first week percents, which are more than driv-ins get charged, but that's another topic.

The room I'm planning will have about 40 high back rockers, small risers, probaly 6 inch, and center surround.
I plan to put the projector in the basment under the auditorium, and run the periscope up the back wall. I'm sure the manager will be overjoyed when she finds out she'll have to run upstairs to rethead 3 rooms then down to the basment to rethread the fourth. As all employers know, employees are always looking for new challenges. OK that's another topic too.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-01-2003 04:49 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your will find your mirror in the auditorium will be quite large. A simple trick is to scale out your projection throw with some graph paper and fold the paper at the distance points for the mirrors to give you a general of the size required. The smaller mirror should be front surface glass and the second mirror should be optical mylar on a frame due to the larger size. These mylar mirrors are available from Hudson Photographic in New York or Vutec in Florida. Another option is to do what Hoyts in Argentina and SK in Sweden have done...build a tunnel / chamber to allow projector and lamphouse on a custom mount to travel up a lift to the auditorium after threading. The Platter and sound stay in the basement. The chamber would take the space of about two seats. I have personally done this for an 8-70 installation to move back the projector to a thread position and send it up a tunnel 14 feet for projection.
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.
A little jet lagged this morning..........

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: