Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » interesting lab splice (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: interesting lab splice
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-30-2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note the subtitles. Maybe I shouldn't have removed this one? [Big Grin]

-

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 02:47 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a classic!! [Big Grin] What picture is that from?

Danny

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 03:54 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with that splice.
Or the comment. [Cool]

Alex Grasic
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 04:14 AM      Profile for Alex Grasic   Email Alex Grasic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The subtitle speaks volumes [Big Grin]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 06:58 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, at least 25% of lab splices are on the frameline. [Smile]

Looks like the upper piece of film also had a bit of safelight fogging too, and the soundtrack redeveloper had a "blip" at the splice, causing a narrow application over the silver + dye analog track on the lower piece of film. [Roll Eyes]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 07:02 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it's because I never used to look for such things or what but the last five shows I've watched have had lab splices in them. Is this something thats on the rise or what?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 07:06 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the film manufacturers usually supply print film raw stock to the larger release print labs as 6000-foot rolls, on average, there will be one lab splice in one 2000-foot reel out of three. If the splices are distracting and not on the frameline (like the one Scott found), they should be removed.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-30-2003 07:17 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny--it's from "Sweet Sixteen" (the latest film from director Ken Loach). It is in English but also has English subtitles, due to the thick accents of the characters. Good film, BTW...highly recommended.

John--yup, there was safelight fogging on this for several feet leading up to the lab splice shown above. Out of curiousity, what's the approximate speed (in ASA) of print stock?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 07:27 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Print film is balanced for printing with a low color temperature (under-volted) tungsten-halogen lamp in the printer and an orange-colored masked color negative, so the blue-sensitive (yellow dye forming) layer is MUCH faster than the red or green sensitive layers. If you load raw stock print film in your 35mm camera, you will get mostly a yellow image unless you use yellow-magenta color correction filters over the lens. An exposure index of about EI-5 would be a starting point. It is a VERY sharp and low grain film however.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 08:03 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I've loaded my camera with photographic paper but never movie print stock.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 09:41 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it doesn't matter how fast or slow print stock is because in a printer you can hit it with as much light (and in a step printer, as long an exposure) as you like. In fact the slower the better, probably, as it would reduce the risk of fogging by a slight accidental light leak.

Interesting that English films with strong regional accents and/or dialogue have to be subtitled in North America. Now I know why Hollywood had to remake Get Carter!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 01:11 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hmmm...I've loaded my camera with photographic paper but never movie print stock.
Print film has a very high contrast:

Kodak VISION Premier Color Print Film

Characteristic Curve (Sensitometry) of 2393

quote:
I suppose it doesn't matter how fast or slow print stock is because in a printer you can hit it with as much light (and in a step printer, as long an exposure) as you like. In fact the slower the better, probably, as it would reduce the risk of fogging by a slight accidental light leak.

Usually there's plenty of light, even in the highest speed contact printers. Generally, the slower the film, the finer the grains. Also, "Absorber Dyes" (provide the purple color of raw stock print film) are used to reduce light scatter in the emulsion to improve sharpness, since you have plenty of light.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PERFECT!! That is going on the wall of the projection booth immediately! [Big Grin]

Oh, and you are incorrect, Mr. Pytlak:
quote:
Hey, at least 25% of lab splices are on the frameline.
While that could be true, I think you meant One in Four lab splices occur on a frameline. We're talking probability, not necissarily statistics...

quote:
Since the film manufacturers usually supply print film raw stock to the larger release print labs as 6000-foot rolls, on average, there will be one lab splice in one 2000-foot reel out of three.
See? MUCH better! [thumbsup]

=TMP=

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 09:59 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some twenty years ago, when estar based stocks were becoming a bit popular for projection, we produced a couple of Napoleon prints at a lab which will go unmentioned.

For whatever reason, there were three to four splices per 2,000 roll.

The print arrived at the venue and into the waiting hands of our crack projection team from Boston Light & Sound.

It was Chapin Cutler who noted the oddity even before the print touched a sprocket.

Someone at the lab had made all of the splices as if the print was acetate.

If you simply held the splice between your fingers and pushed gently, it would come apart with a resounding pop.

Over forty tape splices later...

RAH

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-01-2003 10:08 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reconised the scene soon as I saw it as we are currently screening Sweet 16.The language they are speaking is Scottish and is very broad or thick and can be hard for some peope to understand what they are saying hence the subtitles.As for myself I have no problems understanding what they say as my father in law spoke the same language (with out the bad language of course).
Stephen [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: