Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Spot cleaning screens (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Spot cleaning screens
Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-29-2003 09:36 PM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering what everyone else does to clean those reflective spots from the screens left from gummi bears. Blotting with a mild soap/water solution does help some but I don't really get the best results and it usually takes a week or so for the clean spot to blend in to the rest of the screen. Years ago when we had our screens cleaned there was some writing on one of them. I believe the cleaner removed the writing by scraping with the edge of his pocket knife. Is this a good way to remove the sticky residue?

|  IP: Logged

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-29-2003 10:39 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is that a screen attracts dust and grease in a relatively uniform manner over time. ANYTHING you do to your screen will upset that uniform "coating".

If you can mechanically remove incidental items like spitwads & candy without using cleaners, so much the better, because the minute you clean a piece of your screen to the vinyl, you'll have a spot that will be cleaner (and more reflective) than the rest of the sheet... and will show it.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-29-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Without taking care of the whole screen, you're not going to be able to spot clean without leaving an obvious clean spot. This is usually not a problem if you have a regular routine of careful brush cleaning. (And you get more light, too!)

Tom Kroening
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 12:11 AM      Profile for Tom Kroening   Email Tom Kroening   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can brush your screen every day but you still aren't going to brush a gummie bear stain away. The kids lick them and throw them, as soon as they stick the residue is on there and there's not much you can do about it. If you are careful when you spot clean, part of the residue is removed and the clean spot will turn dull in a mater of weeks. The problem is that if you got rid of all the residue the clean spot would probably never blend in.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 01:25 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't sell gummie bears. [Wink]

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-30-2003 02:07 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'm saying is that if your screens are clean to begin with, you don't have to worry about whether or not there will be a clean spot if you clean off a gummi bear.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 06:55 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As noted in previous threads, gain screens are especially problematic to clean without damaging the gain surface. A vinyl matte white screen is less of an issue, but if your spot cleaning is too effective, you will have a brighter area. One technique that sometimes works for removing gummy candy or chewing gum is to freeze the material to harden it and make removal easier --- use dry ice or component cooler.

Tim Turner
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 09:46 AM      Profile for Tim Turner   Email Tim Turner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm suffering from this same problem. And its not just Gummy Bears, its Ketchup and serup from Soda.

So basically theres no way to take care of those bright spots, other than just constantly keeping the screen clean all the time?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-17-2003 12:25 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever you do, don't use some harsh chemical to get the stuff off. In 1998 just before we were playing "Titanic," a kid threw a huge wad of gum at our screen. Not knowing any better, one of our cleaning people used some sort of powerful cleaner to get the gum off, and wound up washing the reflective coating off.

The result was a super-bright spot dead-center in the screen.

I have a friend who is a nail-tech (she paints designs on fingergnails) and we came up with the idea of using her airbrush to paint the damaged area with some of her clear "pearl" fingernail paint. It actually worked! We replaced the screen as soon as possible, but the quick-fix made the picture watchable at least.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2003 02:37 PM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank god for www.nail-tech.com!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-17-2003 04:02 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carl: Your link had an error. You need to go here:

http://www.nailsmag.com/maga.cfm

http://www.beautytech.com/nailtech/nailnet13.htm

http://www.beautytech.com/contest/index.htm

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-17-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...that makes me think. We are going to install a silver screen in one of our theatres for a little 3D-festival and we thought about leaving it in place for other movies as well. On the other hand, if it is more difficult to clean from the vandalisation of gummy-bear throwing kids, that might not be such a good idea after all.
Apart from that, what is opinion on the visual quality of silver vs. matte screens?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-17-2003 10:07 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A high gain screen must be properly curved, or you will have non-uniform illumination. Really high gain (3D silver) screens have a relatively narrow optimum viewing angle, even if curved.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2003 03:06 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
<harrumph>i didn't even mean for that to be a link.</harrumph>

carl

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-18-2003 05:48 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
<harrumph>i didn't even mean for that to be a link.</harrumph>

I know you were joking. I just thought it would be fun to show there actually ARE websites for "Nail-Tech" people. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: