Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » who makes carbon savers?

Author Topic: who makes carbon savers?
Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-27-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who currently sells carbon savers for 7mm and 8mm carbons? Apparently the guy who used to make the most common type (the skinny ones that hold the carbons in place with a small clip) has retired and no longer has any for sale. Marble apparently sells a type that is significantly larger (in diameter) than the carbon and is too thick to slide across the positive support in the lamphouse (which makes it essentially useless).

Are there any other suppliers?

Does anyone have a stash of the good type for sale/trade? Hopefully there are theatres that have converted to xenon and/or equipment dealers who might want to get some cash for their "old junk."

Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-31-2003 03:38 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, memories! Some of the booths I worked in practiced every imaginable cost-saving means including carbon savers, and those that I recall were round copper sleeves with a crimpable standing seam joint. These were perhaps 1-1/2" long, crimped using gas pliers, and were re-usable to a point, but in my zeal to help the bottom line I cut it too close many times and the saver was burned through, adding to the copper spatter on the lamphouse floor. As the savers were of light gauge copper, they were practically un-noticeable on the screen when they burned through. Cartoons and newsreels were wonderful for using up stubs.

Have you checked with Marble? Since they still carry carbons, there is a slight chance that they may have carbon savers in their old stock.

Most of these supplies in the Los Angeles area came from National Theatre Supply, Pembrex and John Filbert Co. back in the 50s and 60s, and from the Budd Company in the 70s.

Good luck. [Razz]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-11-2003 11:37 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, here is the type of carbon saver that I'm looking for; sorry for not posting this earlier. This is slightly different and more useful than the type that Marble sells, as it is thin enough to slide easily over the positive support to allow burning the positive carbons down to 1" (or so) stubs. Currently, we can't really burn them down to more than 2.5" or so (in Enarc lamphouses), and that usually ends up being more like 3", which seems sinful to throw out considering what carbons cost.

Thanks for any help with this!

-

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If there is a supplier of the above mentioned carbon savers I too would be interested in a pair or two.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 07-08-2003 12:29 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too!

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 04:02 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a god in the film world, Its not me, but I am able to make carbon savers.
I have made a differnt type some time ago, can you tell me why you have a neg rod in your pos saver or is it a neg saver?

But on a serious note,the cost in aust dollars would be $25.00AUS each made from brass for any size to 8 mm. [beer]

Contact me at kalart@bigpond.net.au

[ 07-09-2003, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Stan Gunn ]

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2003 05:32 AM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott
I haven't seen those type of carbon savers for years. We used to use them all time time.
Might check with either Dick Prather or Bob McRae on this site to see if they have any laying around. I hear they are both pack rats, saving everything in sight so you might luck out.
By the way, where in hell do you use these things. I thought carbons were a thing of the past, like me!

William Hooper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 03:59 AM      Profile for William Hooper   Author's Homepage   Email William Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
in my zeal to help the bottom line I cut it too close many times and the saver was burned through, adding to the copper spatter on the lamphouse floor.
I wonder if a small porcelain donut the diameter of the carbon could be found or cast to place ahead of the saver & prevent destroying the saver.

Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 07:32 AM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a classic sinking feeling in the stomach nothing used to beat the realisation that you had miscalculated the length of carbon, there was still 5 minutes left on the reel, the positive had stopped the gap was getting bigger and the light was going blue!!! The good old days!!!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 09-26-2003 07:44 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had a "penny pinching" manager who would periodically look in the carbon waste can to be sure I used each carbon to the shortest possible length. And he kept count of how many carbons were in the booth, so I couldn't "cheat". Unlike the other theatres I worked in, he cashed in the copper drippings, rather than give them to the Will Rogers collection. [Roll Eyes]

Fortunately, I never had a "flame out" or risked damaging the carbon contacts. You really got to know your lamp's "personality" and burn rate, and how to judge the length of a reel.

William H. Ward
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 03:30 PM      Profile for William H. Ward   Email William H. Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man does that bring back the memories!!!! We used to make our own out of the small tin cans they used to ship trailers in. I'm sure they did not appreciate it. If you will buy a small piece of thin copper sheet, cut a piece about 2.5" square, clamp your carbon in a vice carefully, (I used stubs for this) leaving the end of the carbon sticking out of the side, bend the copper piece around the carbon tightly and bring the ends together. I took a pair of pliers, gripped the copper pieces together right at the carbon very tightly. Bend over the remaining tail piece of the copper. Remove from vice and push carbon, copper tail into the vice from the top and, using the vice, crimp it tight. You will then have one good copper carbon saver. A little practice and you will have it down pat. [Wink]

Chris Trainor
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Chris Trainor   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Trainor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> By the way, where in hell do you use these things. I thought
> carbons were a thing of the past, like me!

I'm gonna take a guess.... I'd say it's a Delgarian. [Smile] The Avon Cinema is one of the few crazy places that are running carbons still.

--Chris

William H. Ward
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2003 06:30 PM      Profile for William H. Ward   Email William H. Ward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would be surprised...... There is a theatre supply dealer in my town that still stocks and sells carbons to theatres in the Texas Valley. I'm sure they are far and few, but they are still there.

Edward Jurich
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Edward Jurich   Email Edward Jurich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might check to see if the carbon fill fit inside a piece of brass tubing. If you're handy, you might be able to make a holder from brass tubing.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: