Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Universal switching to Technicolor lab? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Universal switching to Technicolor lab?
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-26-2003 12:07 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Bruce Almighty the first of a change in printing labs for Universal, or just a one time thing (perhaps due to Deluxe not being able to fill the order)? The two prints of Bruce Almighty I saw looked absolutely fantastic! The image was rock steady, which is amazing for a flat movie ran on high speed printers. The "white" scenes were pure clear footage and there wasn't a blemish on the entire thing. Excellent color, contrast and sharpness. I would be thrilled to see this kind of quality again. Anyone else noticed the high quality of these prints? Anyone have any info on Universal possibly switching labs? Universal normally puts out some of the worst prints between the major Hollywood studios.

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-26-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My prints looked great too.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm currently running more Technicolor prints than Deluxe prints. Usually it's Deluxe by at least 2 to 1.

They even attatched the stickers (tops) on the heads and tails soundtrack up... wow eh?

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-26-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my prints looked pretty good except for one of the reels had some signs that the transfer negative in use was showing signs of wearing out.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-26-2003 01:15 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The print I saw on Friday had tons of black and purple splotches a la Deluxe throughout R5 and R6 [Frown] and it was a Tech Hollywood print.

-Aaron

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 09:03 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought Universal had a more-or-less permanent contract with Technicolor since around 1940.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-26-2003 01:05 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not surprised. Screen Attractions is using Technicolor/CFI for all prints of the "Showbiz Clock", and for reprints of current library titles.

I just got answer prints from them on Saturday and they are indeed beautiful! The colorists did a particularly good job. Likewise, each department has been very good about keeping in touch and making sure these jobs are done right. I'm well pleased.

They are 'the greatest name in color'!
Showbiz Clock

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-26-2003 01:34 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
The print of Bruce Almighty that I saw last night had such a bizarre image darkening during the diner scene, that I thought the lamp had lost a seal. It lasted for maybe three minutes and then everything was fine again. Someone must have turned on a light in the darkroom. Oddly, though, it was accompanied by a DTS dropout at the same time.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-26-2003 03:18 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always thought Universal had a more-or-less permanent contract with Technicolor since around 1940.
Universal changed its printing lab to DeLuxe in the late 80's.

-Aaron

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-26-2003 04:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was not released by Universal but "DOWN WITH LOVE" from Fox was one of the most horrid print I saw. It was suppose to recreate the look of a early sixties film but failed because of the lousy print quality. In my opinion, I had no problems with Universal's print quality in recent years. They looked great in my opinion such as the two "MUMMY" pictures, "JURASSIC PARK 1-II- III" and many other films. The best print quality pictures I have enjoyed from Universal were in IB Technicolor in the forties and fifties were all breathtaking!

-Claude

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-26-2003 06:35 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our two prints of Bruce Almighty are great. I've noticed an increase in the number of Technicolor prints we have received in the last couple of months. It's a breath of fresh air, compaired to the quality of the Delux prints we have been receiving. Let's hope the trend continues. [thumbsup]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-27-2003 09:30 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...bizarre image darkening during the diner scene, that I thought the lamp had lost a seal. It lasted for maybe three minutes and then everything was fine again. Someone must have turned on a light in the darkroom. Oddly, though, it was accompanied by a DTS dropout at the same time.

A blue/cyan colored fogging across the entire printed image (may also affect the reading of the soundtracks) is usually due to excessive exposure to the amber-colored "safelights" used in lab darkrooms when printing and processing color prints:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/illumination/page01.blind

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/technical/illumination.shtml

If unprocessed print film is accidently exposed to "white lights" like tungsten, fluorescent or daylight, the fogging is usually yellow or brown in color, because print film's blue-sensitive (yellow dye) layer is much more sensitive to light than the red or green sensitive layers.

Les Brock
Film Handler

- posted 05-30-2003 05:27 AM      Profile for Les Brock   Author's Homepage   Email Les Brock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Europe Universal has recently moved it's processing from Deluxe to Technicolor.

I would assume that the same deal applies in the US and your Universal movies will in future be printed by Technicolor.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-30-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the record... I just received first-trials off of dupe negatives today. They are virtually indistinguishable from prints made off our original negative!

This was a pleasant surprise; I expected to at least see SOME increase in grain.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-30-2003 01:35 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just received first-trials off of dupe negatives today. They are virtually indistinguishable from prints made off our original negative!

This was a pleasant surprise; I expected to at least see SOME increase in grain.

Not if they used Kodak VISION Color Intermediate Film:
[Smile]

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products/lab/5242.shtml

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-31-2003 12:35 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's absolutely right, John. It costs a bit more, but we've spared no expense on this production.

[ 05-31-2003, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Tim Reed ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: