Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Broken Christie Platter Decks

Author Topic: Broken Christie Platter Decks
Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 09:53 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if anyone has some tips or ideas on repairing broken decks. I've inherited several decks where the projectionist thought it was ok to splice on the deck with full force SNNNAAAP!!! [Mad] help.... [beer]

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2003 10:01 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have sucessfully epoxied the bearing block back to several decks, but this is only to serve till new replacements arrive. It held up just fine. It was allowed to set up over night. Can't remember exactly which epoxy was used, but it was some nasty smelling grey stuff.
Mark @ CLACO

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-26-2003 12:02 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
J.B. Weld?

They say you can use it to repair cracked engine blocks and all sorts of funky stuff! I don't know about that but I've used it to do some seemingly amazing things.

Just recently used it to glue the feet back onto one of my wife's antique silver platters. After many years of use and abuse the feet get weak and start cracking off. After all, they are only soldered on with silver solder.

I took it to the local metal plating and repair shop and the guy said it would be about $50 to solder the feet back on and about $200 to replate the thing. The thing is worth, maybe $100 tops. This would be AFTER the replating and polishing. (i.e. Not worth it.)

Instead, the guy sold me a can of Hagerty's Silver Polish and told me to go to the hardware store and buy a package of J.B. Weld. Total cost: Approx. $10.00.

Suffice it to say, the tray is all back to being in one piece and it's all shiny and new looking... And at 1/20 of the cost!

If you are careful to clamp the pieces under repair securely and to remove all traces of excess glue before it cures hard, you can get some really good bonds with the stuff. It has a nice long "open time" of about 10 minutes. (The amount of time it takes the glue to start getting hard.) It hardens in a few hours and it cures hard enough to handle the parts in about 12 hours. Full cure takes a full day. Once it is fully cured you can sand it, grind it, paint it and treat it much like Bondo. (auto body filler)

Good stuff! It ought to be in every "Real Man's" tool box right next to the roll of duct tape and the can of WD-40! [Big Grin]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 05-26-2003 10:57 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if this is an actual Christie kit, but I remember reading about something that requires you to remove the bottom hole and cut a square opening in the bottom of the deck. Then you glue in the replacement part. Has anybody else seen or used this?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: