Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Belden 8451...where to buy cheap? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Belden 8451...where to buy cheap?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 06:16 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody got a good source for Belden 8451. I'm moving some stuff around in the rack and of course now my hook up wires won't reach. I don't want to buy 100s of feet for this little job, but I wouldn't mind buying 100 feet.
Anyone?

|  IP: Logged

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 06:38 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Markertek sells it, Greg, and I think you can get shorter lengths.

Markertek

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-24-2003 08:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Now's the best time to plan ahead since you are re-doing things. I like to leave an extra 10-20 feet of speaker wire neatly coiled at the bottom of the sound rack in the event things are ever changed to prevent a splice in the line. For optical wires, I'll coil up an extra 10 feet in a box on the wall between the projector and sound rack. Whenever the next upgrading project comes along, it sure does make things nice. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-25-2003 12:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there is far better wire out there than plain ole Belden 8451....especially for using in screening room situations. My home system is all wired with Mogami wire...which is not as expensive as one might think. My personal choice is GEPCO Internationsl's equivelent of Belden 8451. Its a much nicer wire to work with, and is available in a rainbow of colors. Makles it easy to identify what wire is what in a rack as you can develope your owhn color coding. www.gepco.com They will sell any length you want. They also stock the entire Neutrick line as well as many other nifty accessories. Their client list is like a who's who in the audio and broadcast industry. Their multi conductor snakes are fantastic!! All of theor cable is designed in house and manufactured in their own plants....its not bought from another wire maker!!
Mark @ CLACO

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greg:

Electronic Resourcing here in Olympia is a Belden distributor and they sell wire by the foot. Call 360-943-1071 and talk to either Ron or Steve. Tell them I sent you.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-25-2003 12:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the Belden line (my favorite wire company) I'd use 9451...it has the same electrical properties as 8451 but the sheild is bonded to the jacket so stripping is clean and easy. 9451 is also available in all 10 of the primary colors.

If want it in short lengths...give me a call we stock it.

As to keeping a coil of cable...watch out, it is just begging to pick up stray noise. There are ways to "hide" service loops without opening oneself up to noise.

And speaking of noise...if you really want it quiet...invest in "star-quad" cable...available from Belden, Canarie and others.

Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-25-2003 09:42 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use 9451 for almost all my racks I believe Newark also sells it
It is available in 100' spools and 500' and 1000' boxes

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-25-2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For high-noise enviroments, try Belden 9452.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 10-25-2004 05:14 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 518 days since the last post.

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-25-2004 05:14 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
9451 is also available in all 10 of the primary colors.
Are all of the colours just as glossy? As in just as easy to pull through a few hundred feet of conduit? I like colours, and for the same price, what the heck as long as it's as easy to pull.

I love the bonded jacket on 9451 and 9452 but have only used these in black cable before. I remember some colours of 1266A aren't as glossy as others.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-25-2004 12:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 9451 colours are just as easy to pull I believe that 9452 is only available in black

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 10-25-2004 05:54 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon. Yes, 9452 only comes in black.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-31-2004 08:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also get "snake" cable that has 24awg versions of 9451 with an overall shield.

I've never had any problems pulling 9451...the jacket is slightly thicker than 8451 so you will have more fill in the same pipe. Still there is much less work involved with 9451 which makes it a particularly good value.

Steve

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-13-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1228 days since the last post.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 03-13-2008 02:20 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a two-pair equivalent to the 9451 (shield bonded to jacket version of 8723)?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: