Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which Projector Do You Start the Night On? (Changeover) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Which Projector Do You Start the Night On? (Changeover)
Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-24-2003 02:53 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ever since I can remember, when running changeovers, I've always threaded my first reel on the right projector since 9 times out of 10 the machines are set up so that I can close the hand dowser and shut off the rectifier (if it's not practical to leave the lamp on) of the right machine while standing between the two, immediately after changing over.

Just wondering what side others favour and why. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-24-2003 03:33 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Berlin Film Festival, I always started with the right projector. Why? Because they wanted to see the first 1-2 minutes of each film right before the screening. Only the right machine (FP-38E) was equipped for reverse.

Ray Faultless
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for Ray Faultless   Email Ray Faultless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During my changeover days the right projector was used first. I always thought it was because thats the way the Chief projectionist wanted it. The left projector was number two and the right was noumber one.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 04:48 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started on the left machine most of the time. I tried to start on the right every other week but it didn't work out most of the time. Most booths that numbered the projectors had the left one labeled #1, "A", or "RED" long before I got there.

Another reason was the main changeover panel, dimmer, and curtain controls were always by the center port. I liked to be by the machine while it started to make sure everything was OK. On the west coast we had full changerover panels and I never saw a foot switch in use untill I visited Chicago. Most theatres had panels by both or all three machines and you could changeover from any of them.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-24-2003 04:57 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adverts and trailers on the right machine, then first reel of the feature on the left. Why? I've no idea, I've always done it that way,I wasn't taught to, I just did. With three machines, adverts and trailers on the left, then feature starting on the centre.

With two operators, I prefer to be on the right machine.

I have to admit, I've wondered about this myself, and usually look back to see which machine the show starts on; it seems to be both ways about equally.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 05:32 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was taught 40 years ago to always start on the left machine. I have NO idea why. I still begin on the left machine.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 05:33 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beside of the superstition, taught Yoy by some older projectionist sometime back - Bad luck not to start on right projector and so, the soundrack is sitting near projector #2 and so easy to reach, -earlier the carbon dia-projector for local adds was standing right of proj 2, and with commercials and trailers on proj. 2, You would always have reel 1,3,5 etc on proj 1 - to remember on some tough day with 5 or 6 different prints whirling around the room on 2000 feet reels.
But still, the only reason should be, always running a given reel on the same projector, so that You was sure, where to look for a defect, if the print suddenly had been damaged.

Per

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-24-2003 06:24 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Per on keeping the same reels on the same projector. However as to which one I start with, that depends on the amount of hours on the bulb and the film itself. For example, if the left projector (#1) has a couple hundred more hours on it than the right (#2) and I am running a 5 reel movie on 2000' reels, I will start with the right projector to burn more hours on that one. If that 5 reel movie is mounted on two large reels, I will start with the left projector because I always build up large reels so that the last reel(s) is full and if any are not full it is the first one.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-24-2003 06:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depended on whether there was an even or odd number of reels in the programme for me. If you're operating the right machine, you can glance up and see the film coming off the feed spool on the left one (and thus get an indication of how long to go until the first set of cue marks), but not vice-versa - you're operating the left machine blind. Therefore I would work out the sequence which would give me the maximum number of incoming changeovers on right machine and position the first reel accordingly.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-24-2003 06:39 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on which machine is closer to the dimmer controls and/or sound controls and/or rewind bench. For me, that has usually been the right-hand machine (which, in this area, is usually labelled "#2"). Since it's usually necessary to adjust the volume level (and/or sound format) between trailers and feature, I like to have the first reel of the feature on the machine which is closest to the fader.

For me, an "ideal" booth would have controls for house lights, sound format/volume, curtain, and masking next to each machine, but that almost never seems to happen in practice.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 06:46 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trailers, cartoons on the left machine...first reel of the feature on the right machine.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 06:58 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the old days of carbon arcs & changeovers I worked, there was always a 2nd feature, and depending on the number of reels the programme was started on No 1 or No 2 projector, so that the Adverts, News & Trailers (normally just 1 or 2) were always on No 1 projector. There would of course be changeovers if the trailers were in scope, sometimes wide & scope. The programme was also made up into an even number of reels so that they always ran on the same projector for tracking any film damage.

When I was in the West End at the Carlton, there was never a 2nd feature. There might be a ‘short’ subject documentary, if 20-30 minutes (the spool boxes were 3k), this would start on No 2 projector. The Adverts, News & Trailers were always run on No 3 projector. A scope trailer would be on No 2 projector with a changeover, on No 1 if the feature was also in scope.

A couple of West End cinemas had a better choice with four projectors. I believe at one time the Plaza, Piccadilly Circus had 5 projectors, like Radio City Music Hall in New York.

Happy showmanship days! [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-24-2003 09:36 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I check the number of reels and there lenght and then start on which ever machine will keep the lamps with even hours
otherwise one lamp will darken quicker and then you will have a difference inlight level on changeover [Mad]

Matthew Nock
Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 09:44 AM      Profile for Matthew Nock   Email Matthew Nock   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had the opportunity to work in a full change-over booth.

However, one theatre I worked out used to have a century and simplex PR1014 (with no turret) - and for scope shows, we used the left machine (the century) for the trailers and adverts, then changed over to the Simplex for the scope feature.

We would also use the Century (as machine two) when we had one-off presentations for schools etc/

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 10:23 AM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a 1950s manual for projectionist the author advised alternating between L/R machines with every run of the film, meaning you show reel #1 left on the first showing, then on the right for the next show and so on.. That way both machines would have the same wear.
But this was after WW2 when there was a lack of spare parts.

Personally, I always start left, for no special reason. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: