Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Service tip - Strong 2020 turret latches

Author Topic: Service tip - Strong 2020 turret latches
Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 12:46 AM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happened again today. I open a Strong turret (Highlight II console) and the turret release mechanism disintergrates. Ok, not really disintergrates but falls apart nonetheless. The story, which happens in about 5% of the turrets I encounter, is that the screw upon which the latch pivots, falls out, and the lever goes flying to parts unknown. (Finding a black lever on a black-tiled floor is fun).

Re-assembly (providing you find the lever and screw) is pretty well self explanitory, but for non-experienced staff the repair usually results in an emergency service call in ice rain, heavy winds, heavy traffic, and limited visibility. Even in June!

The screw has a smooth bore upon which the lever rotates and a thread on the end which should hold it in place. I beleive what is happening is that the spring pressure causes the screw to rotate slightly counter-clockwise each time the turret is opened, resulting in the eventual disintergration catastropy. The cure is to make the vector holding the screw in place higher than that trying to loosen it.

A quick check, once in awhile, on your turrets (using a 1/8" allen key to tighten them) will save a lot of bad language when you close the turret. The screw screws in from the bottom of the turret, under the latch.

If time permits, polish (Brasso works) the bore, coat it with a little 3-in-1 oil, and use Locktite 242 on the thread of the screw.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: