Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DC ammeter on lamphouses- a must or not? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DC ammeter on lamphouses- a must or not?
Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 07:18 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,
I'm on the final stage of setting up a pair of GK President lamphouses and I've been wondering lately if the current metter is really a must or not. these LH's doesn't have any metter nor have any cutting in the panels to fit one. The rectifiers also doesn't have the metters ( both rectfiers made by myself).
The reason I'm asking about it is because the prices of them.
I know that there are some direct metters ( that won't need a shunt) but they're hard to find. the standard ones ( that requires a shunt) I can find easy, for about $25.00 each. but the kick comes with the shunt.. it'll cost around 3 times the price of the panel metter [Frown] .
the only direct ammeter I have right now is marking 40 amps all alone ( and no.. it's just there standing on the bench hooked to.. nothing) and the std type ( with shunt) is only up to 75A.
my last resource is the metter from a peerless, it'll go up to 110A but will look odd on the Gk lamp.. but I have only one..and two LH's [Embarrassed]
any hint?
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-21-2003 07:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All the GK presidents I ever worked on had a ampmeter

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-21-2003 08:19 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a very good idea to have an ammeter on the lamphouse. If calibrated, it can be a very good troubleshooting aid in case something went wrong. It also gives a very good idea if you are operating within the current parameters of the bulb.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 08:48 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
That's a little strange but none of my Gk president or the ones I saw/worked with have/had ammeters and the manual I have for it also doesn't show any nor has any mention of one anywhere ( the manual I found here on Film Tech).I have pictures of it but when I tried to scan, my scanner went poop on me. I ended taking a picture of the picture with the webcam, then sorry for the poor image, it's from the rear of LH where an ammeter should be located, it's before I took it down for re-paint/rebuilt and xenon conversion. The two fuse blocks on the lower left are gone and it's there I'm planning to put the ammeter. the black square at the top is a dark green glass and was kept there.
 -

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-21-2003 10:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may have been an option, or someone removed them.

I personally feel very uncomfortable operating a carbon arc lamp or a Xenon lamp that is not equipped with an ammeter.

One never knows what idiot may have come in the booth and said, "Duh, what a pretty knob. I wonder what it does?" and they give it a "spin" to see what it does. Then they forget where it was.....or just leave it in a new setting.

Seen it! [Mad]

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 01:19 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The President lamps were never fitted with amp meters.
They had a floor standing unit with the rect switchs, volt and amp meters.

[thumbsup]

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 01:27 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mayby the GK President lamps sold to North America had them. I agree with Gordon that all the ones I have seen had the meter. They were all in Vancouver, British Columbia and vacinity. The one I have in my basement has one.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-22-2003 01:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, make sure that if you do have an ammeter, it is of the correct sort and working properly. At one cinema I worked we couldn't work out why lamps were only lasting 1,000 hours or so before dying of a badly blackened envelope and/or a charred anode lead.

After months of head-scratching, the answer turned out to be that the ammeter was of the wrong sort, and giving a reading which was way too low. We thought we were running the lamp at 65-70 amps when in fact it was doing 110-120. Needless to say, that explanied why we were nuking the bulbs, and also why the picture looked nice and bright!

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 05-22-2003 02:42 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul wrote:

quote:

I personally feel very uncomfortable operating a carbon arc lamp or a Xenon lamp that is not equipped with an ammeter.

With xenons, I wouldn't want to run without meters on the lamphouses, though ones on the rectifiers are a reasonable substitute, if the rectifiers are in the projection box. If they are in a separate rectifier room, then meters on the lamps, or at least somewhere in the box, are a must.

I don't feel that they are as necessary with carbon arcs, there is no risk of explosion, and you can normally tell by noise, carbon consumption, etc., if a lamp is running much above its normal current. One exception might be with very high powered lamps, running at close to the limit of what the film can stand, where even a small overcurrent might be enough to damage the print, but I'e never fun anything above 75 Amps.

Agree with Leo, check the calibration.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 07:26 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to add to Leo's post - even at 120 odd amps, with a VERY bright image (I'm sure the apt operators didn't increase the curreny beyond what was needed to get 16FL) the Superior Quartz lamps in that screen almost reached their warranty hours ! Not bad really - maybe a case for a low cost, ultra compact 3k lamp !

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-22-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure the apt operators didn't increase the curreny beyond what was needed to get 16FL
In retrospect I'm sure we did. Screen luminance is a bit difficult to judge subjectively and without a spot photometer, especially when lots of (differently graded) prints are passing through (so in effect you're trying to judge a moving target) and we'd never seen that screen with a lower illumination level.

Needless to say the difference was startlingly obvious when the correct ammeters were in and the current was back down to 70, though...

It's for that reason that I'd be very cagey about ever operating a lamphouse without a verifiably kosher ammeter: if you suspect that something's wrong with the power supply, there is no other way of checking it objectively unless you have a light meter (which most cinemas don't) or you're willing to take the cover off a live rectifier and poke a very high-spec multimeter up its innards. Call me a wuss if you like, but I think I'd pass on that one!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-22-2003 09:03 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you notice that black bar below the rear view port with the two holed that is where the surface mount meter went the two stud of the connection went through two porcelain bushings andthe shunt was mounted across the back
Considering how many were sold (very popular lamphouse and very efficient) I would be suprised that they were not on all of them

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 10:16 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In a pinch, amp-clamps will give a pretty good idea of how many amps you are pulling. (Yes they will work on DC) You might also find an ammeter on an old carbon arc lamp, it will have the proper shunt on it for the meter. The shunt goes across the meter and the meter goes in series with the load....Jim

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again,
thanks for all the information until now.
The black bar bellow the rear view port has the switchs for the inspection lamp and the feed motors, what they control is written on that bar.( that bad pic. I posted isn't showing it clearly).
I have a clamp meter,bought it mostly to take dc current readings after reading somewhere here in the forum about that same situation Leo mentioned ( I believe it was his own post i read at the time about it) anf after had about the same problem once with a bad ammeter ( it'd stick at about the 70 amps while the real current was reaching the end of scale, 100A).
The only ammeter I have that'll fit the 2000W bulb range is one from a peerless lamp ( up to 110A), but I have only one, it's working ok and is in good shape. I'm looking for another one ( or maybe for a new pair of them) if I can't find.. I'll have to find a place that sells ammeters for a fair price.
Thanks!

John Spooner
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2003 12:23 PM      Profile for John Spooner   Email John Spooner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Luciano and interested parties.
Here is a picture of an original Gaumont Kalee President carbon arc lamp (with Kalee 21 head).
The amp meter was mounted on the pedestal directly under the lamp.
John S.  -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: