Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using different amplifiers on Dolby

Author Topic: Using different amplifiers on Dolby
Michael Harlow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 02:56 PM      Profile for Michael Harlow   Email Michael Harlow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, i guess that this isn't an issue BUT, i have a CP55 currently feeding L, C, R and Sub to two QSC amps (RMX1450) i also have 2 peavey CS800x amps which i would like to use to power the surround channels. Technically speaking both models supply the same power, so, is it ok to do this or should i trade them in and get another QSC or 2?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 03:07 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with the peaveys they are a good brute force amplifier
my only beef with peavey is that they spec there power output at 4 ohms

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some years ago I ran into a problem with the output of one company's amp being 180 degrees out of phase with another company's amp. All you have to do in this case is reverse the + and - on the speaker cables, but be sure you check this. Hopefully there has been some sort of standerd put into place since then.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 05:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always when testing out a system use a phase checker to ensure that the actual speakers are all in phase

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-19-2003 10:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peavey sucks!
Mark

Rick Long
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 11:49 PM      Profile for Rick Long   Email Rick Long   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, even the Ashley amps changed pin configurations on their XLR inputs.
In the old FET series, pin 3 was hot.
In the newer FTX series pin 2 is hot.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-20-2003 02:15 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate that when they switch pin configuations. Why don't they just "leave it alone" so it is compatible to everything else? All it does is cause technician nightmares. [Mad]

As far a Peavey amplifiers go...they make excellent door stops. I just don't like them. They weigh too much, they are too big, and don't seem to perform as well as the QSC or BGW. I am basing my opinion on that monster CS-400 that I took out of service. I brought it home to do a load test, and with a sine wave in, it produced one of the most beautiful square waves you could ever imagine at a whopping 10 watts. It was some POS we inherited from Plitt. It was nothing but trouble since we had it. It sits on the kitchen floor and is too heavy to pick up. It has been struck from the inventory, so one of these days I'll just toss it in the junk. I have plenty of that stuff... [Big Grin]

Not only that, I have never had a QSC failure that I can recall, and I have had at least 100 of them at any given time that were in service when our theatre chain was at its heyday.

Here is to QSC.... [thumbsup] [beer] cool:

I even have a QSC-1400 driving my Sansui SP5000 speakers in my computer audio lash-up here at home. My boss and theatre owner, Mr. David Fazende, allowed me to keep one in appreciation for what I am trying to do for him. Through the years, I found gifts like this are worth much more than money. [Wink]

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-20-2003 02:48 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Peavey ONLY makes "good" guitar amps... I have a "Bandit" amp for my 1983 Fender Stratocaster... It sounds GREAT! [thumbsup] [beer]

(Paul: Remember your post about "cleaning" up your act and language...The above post seems to violate your "new" philosophy.) [evil]

>>> Phil

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-20-2003 02:51 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OOPS!

Phil, you are right. I went back and struck it from the post. [Smile] [Smile]

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 02:53 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Yamaha P2100 and P2200 amps in our house PA rack have rear panel switches to select pin 2 or 3 hot. These things have been running for 23 years now and still sound fine. One of the P2100s is used for our 2(!) surrounds.

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 09:40 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear you're moving on the surrounds - what speakers did you decide to use ?

I'd use the PV amps - you're not going to get any noticeable improvement by spending your funds on new amps. Suggest you look at sub bass instead - if you've got 2 PVs then one could do the surrounds and one the sub - £330 for one of our top quality good value subs (or £250 for one we have in stock), perhaps a Cat241 if you havent got one and the floor would shake !! (On paper you should have 2 - suggest you look at one first but cable for two)

Shameless plug I know, lets see if anyone can better the price !! (isn't this e-film-tech-bay.com !)

Peter

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: