Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Technical issues with Matrix Reloaded

Author Topic: Technical issues with Matrix Reloaded
David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 11:07 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a continuation of the discussions about the sound mix, framing, and whatever else comes up (started in Reviews).

Framing: I've seen Reloaded twice. Both times, the framing issue jumped out at me -- I wasn't looking for a problem because titles etc. were perfectly framed. Then all of a sudden there's a string of closeups where the eyes are at the very top of the screen -- most of the forehead is missing. My first thought was "this is some kind of Super35 transfer/framing error", especially since not all shots were framed that way.

Sound Mix: The SR-D mix at the first theatre (Cinemark 17) was very impressive. They had it cranked, and for once the subs were working. Very crisp, clear, directional, and visceral. The second theatre (Regal Cinema World 8) was almost dull and uninvolving by comparison. I think it was SR-D too but not positive. I have an email dialog going with Regal's northwest technical guru, hoping he will confirm that something was wrong. That Regal show was VERY disappointing soundwise. There was more bass coming from the adjacent theatre (also showing Reloaded) than there was in that one.

Lastly, has anyone confirmed yet that Reloaded is an SDDS-8 mix?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 01:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that misframing in projection or in optical printing is a serious problem. But since "Matrix Reloaded" is a "scope" release, any misframing would be immediately obvious as visible framelines, or at least seeing the negative splices. The scope answer print would have been approved by the director and cinematographer, who would have rejected any mistakes made in printing.

Remember, composition is subjective. I agree with Brad that the character's eyes are often the focal point of any composition, and many compositions often follow the photographic "Rule of Thirds", where the most important part of the scene (e.g., the eyes) are located 1/3 ways in from each edge of the frame, even if it means cropping the tops of heads as you note in your review.

Composition and "Rule of Thirds":

http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutorials/compose_expose/thirds.html

Kodak Composition Suggestions

http://7hcc.tripod.com/technical/composition/rothirds/rothirds.htm

http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?78

Nature Photography

Of course I assume the theatre where you saw "Matrix Reloaded" was showing the full 2.39:1 aspect ratio (0.825 x 0.690 inches projectable image area) specified by standard SMPTE 195, and not a cropped image area.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 01:45 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
JP, that's what I was alluding to, that this was a scope print and there were no other signs of misframing. It could very well be a deliberate artistic decision, but it sure looked odd to me.

Did I forget to mention that Regal ran 2 flat ads for Matrix games (or some such thing) in scope? [Roll Eyes]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 01:55 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes odd framing is used to create a sense of disorientation or uneasiness in the audience.

Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This "artistic" framing also causes the end result on DVD to REALLY look like it's "cutting off the top and bottom" in the widescreen edition. [Roll Eyes]

=TMP=

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 05-19-2003 05:49 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only the eyes, but do the opening titles and logos look missframed to anyone else?

Particularly the village roadshows logo. It is way to high on the screen! This was the case with it on 2 seperate prints, one of which i threaded, and i know was in frame.

Whats the deal? Lab mistakes on all of my prints?

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 10:44 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned this in my review but yes the Warner and village logos are high for me.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 09:56 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How high is "high?" I didn't notice any problems with either of our prints.

David Favel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 08:46 PM      Profile for David Favel   Email David Favel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off centre, I watched this at someone elses cinema & was tempted to rack down various times throughout the flick.

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 02:14 AM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
High enough to show a very visible black bar along the bottom of the screen

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2003 04:03 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant see any of the above problems on my print? The opening logos are bang in the middle of the screen.
Here in the U.K. we also have a warning on the front of the film about film piracy and warn people if they video tape the film they will be in serious trouble if caught!
The same warning was on the front of X2 here in the uk also.

Darren

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-24-2003 06:44 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it.

The Village logo seemed a little high. But saying that, I would need to see it on another film to compare.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 05-25-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone playing 'Matrix:Reloaded' in analog having what seems to be the DTS timecode being picked up on the analog reader? I have received a call that this is happening on two different prints on two different machines, one of which has been recently A-chained. They say it occurs on either reel 4 or 5 (they aren't 100% sure which reel but it is one of the two) and doesn't happen before or after that reel.

-Aaron

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-27-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a reel where the DTS time code is being heard in the analog track, it's easy to check to be sure it was printed in the proper position. The centerline of the DTS timecode track should be 0.297 inches (7.54 mm) from the reference edge of the print, per standard SMPTE 115.

If any part of the timecode track is closer than 0.281 inches (7.14 mm) to the reference edge, you may hear it in the analog track.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: