Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Changing from E-7 to XL

Author Topic: Changing from E-7 to XL
Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 10:33 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just obtained an XL head to replace one of my E-7s. The E-7 is on an RCA 1040D Soundhead, what will I need to replace the E-7 with the XL? I haven't looked the XL over except for a glance and the drive gear appears to be different. Any help is valuable.....Jim

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 11:11 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RCA drive assembly for the XL should still be available from Ballantyne - I just bought some parts for one. It's in the back of the XL book, assembly G-2068.
This one is (as far as I've seen) the only XL gear drive that has a completely closed mount for the idler gear hub bearings. The others have an open slot the gear sits in, so look at what you have - you may be lucky. Different soundheads have different gear tooth angles so you will need the whole kit, the projector drive gear has to match the idler gear and even if it has the same tooth count they may not mesh.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,
In addition to what Dave covered very well be sure that your mounting bolts are not long enough to punch through the oil sump in the bottom of the XL. The XL being mostly ball bearing puts less load on start up so you may want to adjust the 1040's starting resistor for a slower start if necessary.

This is a similar set up to mine with XL's over MI-1050's with 1040 replacement motors. You may find the E-7 has a slightly steadier picture then the XL. I love my XL's but E-7's (and Motiograph AA/AAA)put out one of the most rock steady picture I have seen.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 08:08 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The brake on the RCA should probably be removed. There shouldn't ever be a real need to stop the machine fast, and if one really punches the brake from high speed the XL intermittent drive gear (the fiber one that seems to be designed to strip) strips.
This assumes that the 1040D also has the big flywheel and brake like a 9030, but I can't imagine why that would need a soft-start circuit... I've yet to encounter a 1040.

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 04:22 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
The MI-1040 does not have a flywheel at all unless a 1050 or 9030 motor was put on. Lots of 1040's were sold and many still in use. They and the 1050 had an adjustable large resistor with a start switch attached to the motor. They can start quickly if not set up. No brakes on these soundheads. Inching knob is between the motor and soundhead.
Dick

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the information. You guys are the best!! Of my two RCA 1040s one of them has a large flywheel and the other just has the knurled coupling about two inches in diameter. The one I will be putting the XL on does not have the flywheel. Both units have the starting resistor. The tip about the legnth of the bolts is great info.....Thanks.....Jim

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-22-2003 08:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless your E-7 is in really poor shape why on earth would you want to install an inferior projector?
Mark @ CLACO

Jim Spohn
Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2003 04:09 PM      Profile for Jim Spohn   Email Jim Spohn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark.. Your'e right on the money!! Right now my #1 machine has a cyclic whining noise. It's my thought that when I remove the drive gear between the sound and picture head (E7), I'll find out in a hurry which unit needs the attention. If it turns out to be the E7 making the noise I'll change it out while rebuilding the head. On the other hand if the soundhead is the problem I'll reverse the upper with lower worm gears (if it hasn't been done already) and put the E7 back on. I'm not looking forward to making adaptors for all my lenses and wiring etc. and finding aperature plates and filing them to fit. If I can use the E7 again I will......Jim

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-23-2003 08:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,
If you find even some wear on the faces of the teeth on the bronze gears, especially upper bronze, you need to take a really close look at the worm gear with a high power lens to see if there are tooth like wear marks in the face of each tooth of the worm. This is very common and you will need to replace the worm when you do the gear box. If you don't it will do nothng but eat into the new faces of the teeth on the bronze gears. As far as the whine it could be alot of things to say the least.... Also, taking the load off the gear box still does not make any indication of the condition of whats inside. All you can do is pull it apart and do a close examination of the gear faces that contact each other.
Mark

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,
Does your E-7 noise sound like it is coming from the shutter end.

There is a oil hole in the rear of the shutter shaft with an oil cup. (unless your shutter shafts are Wolk replacements) Check parts manual to see what it looks like. Check and see if it is plugged up. If so clean and oil with Simplex oil several drops untill the oil works back in the shaft. After the oil works itself in there the noise will probably stop. This oil hole gets overlooked and will cause a whinning sound. Worst case is a bearing replacment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: