Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Carbon Arc lamphouse:Brenkert EnArc or Peerless Magnarc (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Carbon Arc lamphouse:Brenkert EnArc or Peerless Magnarc
Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 06:18 PM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a chance for my portable booth to obtain either a pair of Brenkert Enarc (no price yet) or Peerless Magnarc and a pair of the old tungar rectifers. What in everyone opinion would be the better route to go. I know some of you will say Xenon but I go with what I can afford. They will be hooked up to my Bauer U2 and in all likely hood a picture size of around 12x24 and I think I will be burning 8 and 9's for the carbon at somewhere in the 72 - 80 rang or 7 an 8's in the 60 - 70 range depending on the rectifers I am able to obtain. Thanks for the input.
[beer]

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 06:32 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Peerless magnac is the way i would go as they have no peers [thumbsup]

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 06:33 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Enarcs have their fans and the Magnarcs have their fans, but the bottom line is the condition of the lamphouses and the availability of reflectors (glass reflectors are fragile but give the best results). If you need carbons, let me know.

Good luck from a carbon lover. [beer]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 07:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are both good lamphouses, but the Peerless is much easier to keep clean. I think the Enarc and Peerless mirrors will interchange. We snitched an Enarc mirror from an old lamphouse and it fit the Peerless perfectly.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-18-2003 07:54 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have a slight preference for Peerless, partly because the look better and partly because I prefer the location of the positive and negative feed knobs. Also, the back part of Peerless lamps (including the reflector) swings outward, which makes it easier to clean and replace. Mechanically and optically, though, either type will be fine. I'd agree with the suggestion that you should get whatever is in the best condition and/or has the best source of spare parts.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2003 11:33 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First.....Don't pay a dime for any of that stuff!! Its all worthless on the real market. They should be paying you to haul it away!! Anyone that actually charges you for that stuff will be giving you the [fu] when you turn your back to them.
You may have to buy the carbons though as a handfull of theatres still run Peerless lamps. You will find it easier to get parts for Peerless stuff too.
Secondly.....Bauer U-2's [thumbsup] in a portable booth??? Cool [Cool] that must be some kinda well built portable booth you have there! They weigh more than a DP-70 does.
Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 05-19-2003 01:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon Bachlund hit the nail on the head. The present condition will mean everything.

However, all else being equal, I would go for the Magnarcs for the reasons Mark said.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-19-2003 02:08 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, if you go that route, dump the tungars. The rectifiers can be very easily converted with Sil-Tubes.

Mike Fitzgerald
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 07:45 AM      Profile for Mike Fitzgerald   Email Mike Fitzgerald   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input. I am hoping the rectifers already have been changed over to Sil-Tubes. I am inclined to go with the Peerless unless the Enarcs are for free. THe only problem is Martin Hill can be overpriced. Here is a picture of the Peerless that he has.
 -

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 08:44 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! There's a Motiograph. [Wink]

Philippe Laude
Film Handler

- posted 05-19-2003 08:45 AM      Profile for Philippe Laude   Email Philippe Laude   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Mark. The Bauer U2 is a magnificent projector but not a portable one, unless hercules is a friend of yours!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-19-2003 10:25 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the motiographs go with them ditch the bower and use them [Smile]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-20-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pics from another arc lover....

-

Josh

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 08:51 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Art Deco great? I love the speedlines on the lamphouses. [Smile]

Josh Jones
Redhat

- posted 05-20-2003 11:54 PM      Profile for Josh Jones   Author's Homepage   Email Josh Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those lamps were built in 46 and with a little help this summer, will light up my garage again.

Josh

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: