Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Old Goldberg 2,000 Foot Rewinds Fixed For A Slow Ramp-Up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Old Goldberg 2,000 Foot Rewinds Fixed For A Slow Ramp-Up
Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-17-2003 05:00 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old Goldberg 2000-foot film rewinder from the olden days. In the process of getting this thing running, I ran across a pleasant surprise.

Normally, most of those rewinders ramp up so fast that the film can cinch. This one does not. After looking it over carefully and well, I discovered it had a 14525 rpm 1/3 hp GE 230-volt motor.

The only thing I noted is that sometimes it would not start by itself, a little “push” was necessary about 50% of the time. The motor needed cleaning anyway, and when I knocked it apart, there was a 105 Ohm ballast resistor in series with the start winding. I removed that resistor and re-assembled the motor and re-installed it to the rewind.

The test results were excellent. It takes about 4 minutes 35 seconds to rewind a full 2,000 foot reel, and the ramp up was soooooo smooth.

I thought I would pass this along to the old film nuts that don’t like to use the old rewinders in fear of cinching the film. There is a “fix” for that, and it is well worth the effort. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-17-2003 05:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
They still suck. It forces an "S" wind.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 12:59 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...I'm game. What is a forced "S" wind? [Confused]

I tested the rewinder tonight at least 15 times continous. The 230 volt motor running on 120 volts didn't even get warm. And the film pile on the old cast Goldberg reel was in perfect alignment with no protruding convolutions. [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-18-2003 02:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The way the Goldberg rewinders are designed, you cannot wind exclusively emulsion out (or emulsion in, if you play for that team).

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 03:45 AM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, It sounds like you are talking about the same machines that we still use in the Army and Air Force theaters. Yes it will make a tight wind ready for shipping or storage. Edges so smooth it looks/feels like it came through a bread slicer.

With the pulley ratio on this machine I can believe that a 220 volt motor would run OK on 120V.

Did you happen to notice a orange colored clutch wafer behind the supply reel (on the left). This is the friction clutch pad. It is adjustable. If the two fingers have not broken off then it will also hold the power switch on until the film runs out when it will automatically shut down.

We still are able to get parts for this machine from Goldberg in Denver. There is a parts list and diagram available though it looks like it was made on a high school drafting table sometime back in the 50's

Bill BuncH
Misawa, Japan

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-18-2003 11:40 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Goldberg Model B (and 25) are CURRENT production items. They can also be ordered to run either direction (intended for 16mm) so you probably can run a constant emulsion orientation Brad.

Steve

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 11:57 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, it has a 15:1 ratio. The clutch wafer you speak of is intact, but I might have to disassemble it and give it a bath. The door latch collet has broken free of the door, so I guess I'll just take the door to a muffler shop and have it wire welded back on.

I think it is a good machine, although it apparently has been "cheapened up" alot.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 12:08 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I bought mine it needed new sleeve bearings , belt, and the door handle was broken. Installed new bearings, belt and welded the door handle back together and rebuilt the clutch assembly and it works fine. However my model B starts at full speed which makes me have to spin the reels before I engage the start switch. I strecthed a few 16mm prints with that thing before I learned about cinching.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 01:22 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, get a 1425 RPM 230 volt 1/3 horse motor, and you will fall in love with that rewinder because it will work so nice.... [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-18-2003 01:30 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, can you post a picture of the machine?

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 02:01 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here She Be before I picked it up:

-

[ 05-18-2003, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-18-2003 08:07 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul--thanks! I like the look and the smooth winding characteristics of the Goldbergs, but I hate using them (and never wanted one myself) because I always thought that they damaged film because of the fast ramp-up. I'll have to try this modification whenever I run into another theatre that's using one of these.

Brad--you and Steve G. must be about the only people in the US who don't believe in the "S-wind" convention; everyone I've met (including a number of very good operators) feeds heads-out/emulsion-out and takes up tails-out/emulsion-in.

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 08:18 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suppose the door has a function of keeping out dirt and reducing static electricity but all of our doors except for one dissappeared long ago.

These things do start fast. You will cinch a film if it has come off a take-up that was adjusted "loose" or off of the hand rewinder. Our Simplexes always wrap tight on the take-up so there is no problem for us. Way to get around this is to start the take-up reel spinning with your right hand before the left hand hits the power lever. Then, no problem ever.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-18-2003 08:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, that's an "S" wind only. [thumbsdown]

Scott, for years people threaded platters by motoring the leader onto the floor or not doing something to prevent the leader from getting dirty (such as "threading up"). That doesn't make it right just because that's the way it was done for years. [Wink]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-18-2003 08:34 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William, that's the same thing I had to do when I ran most carbon-arc booths. I wish I would have discovered what I did about this specific rewind's motor type a long time ago.

I only remember two rewinds that were better than this one. One was configured with a communtator AC motor which took about 5 seconds to ramp up, but when that thing got a full head of steam, it would really move! The other was designed and built by Eldon Pollock. His was a slow ramp-up, slow rewind with a feather type clutch so the wind would not be too tight. Of all the years I operated that rewind, it never scratched or cinched a print. The rewind was shut down by a mercury switch that when, the tail of the film would slap it, would trip it off line. Eldon was a MIT graduate, and had it "all in one box"... [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: