Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How the West Was Won in Los Angeles! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How the West Was Won in Los Angeles!
Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 09:11 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A brand new 3-panel Cinerama print of "How the West Was Won" will be running for two weeks at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood, starting September 12, 2003. Yes, this is the same time period of the 3-D Film Expo, which means you can fly to Los Angeles in September and see both 3-D and Cinerama!

Pretty cool, I think.

Jeff Joseph
SabuCat Productions

3D information at:

http://www.3dfilmfest.com

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-18-2003 07:30 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be there. I have never seen Cinerama.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 12:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can also see This is Cinerama at the National Museum of Film, Photography and Television at Bradford, West Yorkshire, UK on the first Saturday of every month in three-strip Cinerama. It's a bit nearer to Berlin than Los Angeles, though I hope Dick won't mind me saying that the print is now a tiny bit frayed at the edges (differential Eastmancolor fading in the three panels is a tad distracting in sections, especially the Aida chorus). But even so, it's still pretty spectacular, and the museum itself is well worth a visit. And the best bit is that Bradford is only 40 miles from York (not to mention the curry)!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-18-2003 12:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder when York will start its massive growth and add a place called New York???
Mark

Gordon Bachlund
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 03:11 PM      Profile for Gordon Bachlund   Author's Homepage   Email Gordon Bachlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HOW THE WEST WAS WON was screened at the Cinerama Dome on December 7 last year as the SMPTE Hollywood Section's Family Holiday Screening. The event drew over 500 members and guests, and was, quite frankly, spectacular. My advice: Don't miss it! [Wink]

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 05-18-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The new print that Crest Labs produced of "This is Cinerama" the negative was fairly beaten up in points, particulary the Aida sequence ( which is the most ponderous part of the film ). Color fading almost to monocrome in the American West air sequence, which had U.V. color bias to start with, was very obvious. The Dome screen is solid and is more like a D-150 screen with not the total arc of image available for Cinerama presentation. The surround channel, which where originally full range stage speakers for Cinerama, are being reproduced via JBL 8340 speakers which add a different sonic feel and track noise which modern cabinets are able to reproduce. I am able to remember the difference between the late 1950's early 1960's when I first saw Cinerama and the presentation at the Dome.....but if you never have seen Cinerama it is well worth the trip since they do a great job in presentation and are passionate in giving a good show [Smile]
Richard Fowler
Kinoton America Inc.

Scott Manley
Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Scott Manley   Email Scott Manley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Hook" at the cinerama dome in LA......and I really enjoyed it........so you can figure out how impressive films are there

William Bunch
Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for William Bunch   Author's Homepage   Email William Bunch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw 'How the West Was Won' in Cinerama sometime around 1965 while still in high school. It was great then and would probably be even better today except in September I won't be anywhere near New York. But it is nice to know the film lives on.

As for the fading and the bad edges being talked about here. Maybe that is where digital could step in and play a constructive part.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-20-2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be there too, probably on Sept 13. I plan to see KISS ME KATE in 3-D at the Egyptian that night.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-20-2003 07:22 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
except in September I won't be anywhere near New York
That`s why it is so good that the screening is in Los Angeles! Much closer to Japan than New York. In a way, Tokyo and LA are neighbour cities even.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 08-13-2003 07:06 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bump for those last minute planners. It just under a month from now. Tickets are on sale now. [thumbsup]

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 05:09 PM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinerama Camera #1 is on it's way back to LA after spending almost 10 years on display in Bradford. Thanks to Gunther Jung and all at Pacific for their help and patience.

I understand it is likely to be on show in the lobby of the Dome hopefully for when HTWWW is screened.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 05:26 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the pleasure of seeing HTWWW in Dayton before they closed, and it was a sight to behold!

I don't know how anyone could have the same appreciation of that movie without seeing it the way it was meant to be seen...

If anyone has the opportunity to see this exhibition, you owe it to yourself to do so!

Peter Kerchinsky
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 08:25 PM      Profile for Peter Kerchinsky   Email Peter Kerchinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this the same print of HTWWW that we ran in Seattle at the Cinerama last February? If so, it looks fantastic and is well worth seeing if you haven't had the chance yet. [thumbsup]

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2003 10:13 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its either the same print or one made around the same time as that print (I think WB made two, if I remember correctly). it is definitely a new one (not IB Tech, tho).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: