Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Keyed adaptor for Strong MUT? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Keyed adaptor for Strong MUT?
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-16-2003 05:36 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've brought this up before I believe, but now I am looking for part numbers. I want to be able to use a split reel on my Strong make up table, but the standard design does not provide any provisions for doing so since the split reel needs a regular old keyed shaft.

Is there a part I can buy to make these tables capable of this?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2003 05:39 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your only option with the Strong table is to buy one of those flanges with two little drive extensions (sorry, I don't know what they are called) that fit into the two holes on the plate. Download the last video on the "Platter clutch tips" page and you will see one in action.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 05:40 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a "drive dog."

--jhawk

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 06:53 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part number 3930 "Makeup Table Adapter Plate" (current models with round drive plate)

Part number 3931 for old tables with the retangular drive plate.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-16-2003 07:52 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems as though there are so many 5/16-inch bore reels out there that hardly anything will fit nothing without jazzing around unscrewing the drive pin to relocate it in another setting. Dog drives won't adapt to them all. There were times I had to use a soldering pencil to make a hole for the drive pin to fit. The only thing that fits them all is a key drive, but yet, key drive MUTS don't seem to exist anymore. Now you know why I will go to extremes to keep the old CFS MUTs running....they fit any reel that has a 5/16-inch bore.

It is very frustrating to build a show when it comes on 7 reels and each reel is different!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

I have yet to figure out why such basic things have drifted from what used to be a standard.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The two small holes on the drive spindle are, I think, 10-28 thread. I forget exactly but no matter...

Go to the hardware store and get a couple of set screws of the correct diameter and thread. Make sure they are longer than the drive plate is thick by a factor of about 1.5. Get the kind that either have an Allen head or a slotted screwdriver head. Screw them down into the holes on your drive plate so they are flush and stick out the other side of the plate. It shouldn't matter if they stick out. On mine, the spindle is high enough above the table so they don't hurt anything sticking out.

When you need them, take your screwdriver or Allen wrench and back them out of their holes so they stick up high enough to catch the holes in the reels. When you're done screw them back down. I keep a small screwdriver gaff taped to the underside of the table where I know where it is when I need it.

Next time I get my digital camera up to the booth I'll take a few shots and post them if I can get them to come out OK.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-16-2003 09:30 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, that is an excellent idea! [Smile] [Smile]

However, some MUT's don't have all the holes necessary to accommodate the vast configurations of reels that are used today. Some more hole drilling and thread tapping will probably be in order. The industry is changing reels faster than the manufacturers that make the equipment can keep up with.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-17-2003 01:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy's idea is exactly what I had in mind, since I figured that hole was there for SOMETHING. In an emergency I broke a small allen wrench and stuck it in there and it worked. However now it broke off and the bottom half is stuck in there. How do I get it out? Turn the table upside down and shake?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-17-2003 10:53 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Magnet?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 01:39 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just finished taking the pictures of my makeup table as mentioned above. Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

-

The extra hole in my MUT exactly matches the drive hole in my split reels. When I want to use it I just "loosen" it until it's tall enough to use as a drive pin.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-20-2003 04:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What size wrench is that? Might be helpful when I go shopping for screws.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 04:37 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember, it's a 10-28 set screw. The exact same size and thread that is used to fasten an amplifier, et. al., into your sound rack.

The Allen wrench that fits it is 3/32".

The screws cost a whole 30 cents apiece... plus tax.

I sent about a 1/2 dozen more pix to Brad. If you think they merit it, you can post them or whatever. They show the thing from all different angles.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-20-2003 07:03 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think a screw that small and thin would be able to reliably hold and amp to a sound rack. Those two threads are defintely smaller than the ones where the movable post goes into. The screw I wants is the one that would go right into next to the center shaft. That's what I have been doing. That way you can use split reels, trailer flanges, whatever.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, 10-28 is not a standard thread. I suspect you mean 10-32 (NF), but maybe 10-24 (NC). Set screws are available in both threads, and a 3/32" hex key fits both heads.

Joe, you should be able to measure the hole no problem and use whatever screw fits. If you don't have a good way to measure the hole diameter, just grab a set of drill bits and see which one fits, then take the drill bit to the hardware store and find screws of equal or lesser diameter.

--jhawk

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-20-2003 07:45 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're probably right.

Remembering numbers like that is rather difficult for me at times. I always get them backwards and sideways. I do know it's the exact same screw that holds the units into my sound rack and I know that that is a common screw.

The first time I fixed the problem I did it by taking a screw out of my sound rack and cutting it off. Later on I perfected it with the corect size Allen screws.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: