Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Make Up Table Cleaning??

Author Topic: Strong Make Up Table Cleaning??
Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 05:07 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a newer model Strong Make Up Table (MUT) that goes with my Ap-3 Platter. The previous owner of this machine used either "white out" or "white shoe polish" to mark splices with, and the top of the table, the black pad the splicer sits on, and the white plate over the table light are all covered with drops and globs of this white stuff.

I took the screws off the white plate that covers the table light, and cleaned it off in the kitchen sink with hot soapy water and some of that "non-scratching" cleanser stuff. It worked.

The table on the other hand is a different story. I've tried Windex, 409, Fantastic, mineral spirits, and kerosine. None of them seem to work. I made the mistake of trying "BRAKE CLEANER" (the stuff for your car brakes)and it turned the black pad the splicer sits on into goo. It had some type of chemical reaction and melted. What is that thing made of?

Anybody else got any suggestions?

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-16-2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try some "Simple Green", but let it soak a little on the stains before it is wiped off.

Paul Salley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 05:20 PM      Profile for Paul Salley   Email Paul Salley       Edit/Delete Post 
Try lighter fluid.

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 06:21 PM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is probably either correction fluid (white-out) or Chinagraph pencil. Either way, the table top is baked enamel (or powdercoat) so car polish should do the job. Also white-out can be removed using the thinner that the manufacturer recommends on the side bottle. I don't know what it is, but if you can get your hands on a bottle of white-out it should tell you. Another option is alcohol (the type you get from the chemist or drug store (isopropyl alcohol), not the drinking variety). It is particularly good for removing goo and is harmless to most surfaces.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 06:58 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try 99% rubbing alcohol and/or lighter fluid (NO SMOKING!). You could also try "Goof Off". That black pad has been changed over the years. Originally it was a square of black formica that was contact cemented into place. Starting around 1994 it was changed to a square of black ABS textured plastic. If yours is the plastic, then I'd just go get a square of black formica instead.

[ 05-16-2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: Ken Layton ]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-16-2003 07:08 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is white-out, fingernail paint, or magic marker ink, acetone should remove it.

I actually forgot what I used. [Eek!]

Mike Pennell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 10:08 PM      Profile for Mike Pennell   Email Mike Pennell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds bad but wd-40 actually cleans sticky crap off, but you need to wipe it off real good.

Chris Markiewicz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 10:21 PM      Profile for Chris Markiewicz   Email Chris Markiewicz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, brake cleaner will attack some kinds of plastic. Oily solvent residue can be removed with lighter fluid.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: