Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Metal Halide Lamphouse

Author Topic: Metal Halide Lamphouse
Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 08:14 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are metal halides these days not uses in cinema projectors? They have solved the point light source problems, the colour temperature problems and the hours they can run for, normally around 2000-3000 hours for the brighter point source ones. So why are they not used? No need for a huge rectifier!? I know they have to run of a ballast with a sqaure wave output. I am thinking of trying one out inside and old arc lamphouse. What makes a Zenon the better light source?

Sam Hunter, if you read this how did you make your lamphouse without a point light source? Has anyone else made their own lamphouse for their home screening room?

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 10:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No need for a huge rectifier!? I know they have to run of a ballast with a sqaure wave output.
Since a xenon lamp can be powered by a compact switching power supply not much bigger/heavier than an HMI ballast, what's the advantage you are looking for?

Metal arc lamps were popular for smaller/portable projectors (e.g., MARC-300 lamp).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-16-2003 02:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lumen output is still less on HMI type lamps than that of a Xenon and no they are not a popint source but a compact source. The plasma ball is about the size of a carbon arc crater not the pinpoint of the cathode tip. (remeber the light on a xenon system is on the tip of the cathode only)
The cost per hour is much higher as well on HMI styled lamps

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2003 11:02 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil,
All I can tell you is that I found the largest Ellipsoidal reflector I could find from a stage supply company and basically what I done was mimic the design of an ELC type lamp. I picked out a Halogen bulb that had the highest wattage/lumen/color temp and also had a small filament size. Then after assembling the reflector and lamp I began to experiment using a piece of steel placed in front of the assembly to check my light beam size to see where it focused at, this way I knew how close to mount it from the aperture.
If you are looking for a lamphouse I will not be needing this one any more and it will do the job and its nicely painted with an RCA symbol on it. Let me know if you are interested.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: