Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question about Pedestal weight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Question about Pedestal weight
Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 11:13 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much does a 4 point RCA pedestal weigh and do they break apart? I am picking one up next week and my helper has decided he would be better served elsewhere and it looks like I am on my own.
Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-13-2003 11:53 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, if the pedistal is the one that slants forward, (BX-10) it is made of cast iron and weighs about 450 lbs. It does come apart. 4 huge bolts hold the base plate on, and the big pin has to be removed if you want to remove the lamp table. That, in itself, must weigh at least 250 lbs.

Here is a picture of us unloading one of those from Josh's Dad's van. We needed an engine hoist to do it.

-

Dismantling it is a real pain because the damn thing is so heavy.

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 11:58 PM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I closed down the Redding Drive In, in redding, cal. I found out just how heavy they really are. This dive in had a projection room set 8 ft. below ground level and getting that thing out was a real pain in butt. I still have it (why?) and hope to never have to move it out of storage.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 12:03 AM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little off topic but Robert, when was the drive in in Redding closed? I live 50 miles east or Redding in Burney. I remember hearing about it but im only 18 so I have never been there. Do you have any info about it?
John

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-14-2003 03:11 AM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam you'll be fine by yourself, that is as long as you bring your three strongest friends along. [Smile]

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 06:41 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a photo of a pedestale like the one I am getting.
 -

Don't know if it makes a whole lot of difference weight wise but I need to get it.

Thanks!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-14-2003 08:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,
You can disassemble it and move the pieces(chunks) yourself easily. I use them for my rental equipment and tear them down to move it in myself if necessary. Weight is in the 175 to 225 lbs region....nothing like the 500 lb. honker RCA base in Paul's shot. Those bases I usually bust up on site with a sledge hammer and let the kiddies haul the chunks out to the dumpster.
Breifly, Take off the four bolts at the top of the base and lift off the top casting assy...this is the heaviest part so hopefully your tall enough to lift high enough to get the elevation screw past the sheet metal. Then lift the sheet metal off, and then you can remove the long threaded rods from the base casting. Haul the parts out seperately.

In leiu of all this get a furniture dolly with tie down straps Tighten it down on the dolly and move it out of the booth/building its in. This'll work fine unless the stairs are really bad..... When you get to the car have some heavy cardboard ready on the tailgate....lay the base sideways against the tailgate/cardboard and slide it into the van. Keep in mind that these bases typically have little value, $50.00 to $100.00, in as-is condition. Most dealers would refurbish one before selling it.
Mark

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 10:02 AM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Mark [thumbsup]

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-14-2003 02:47 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That pedistal you are getting is easy to handle. Yourself, with the help of a friend won't have too much trouble moving it.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 03:29 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I moved a pair of those by myself in '60. Of course I was only 28 at the time.

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 07:25 PM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

Compared to any one of the three subassemlies comprising a Simplex "Heavy Duty" pedestal, those RCA pedestals are a piece of cake! Been there, done that, avoided getting a hernia! [Smile] Last summer I picked up two RCA pedestals of the same type as the one you are interested in; they're an easy two-person heave-ho into the back of a pickup truck to transport upright.

If you must move your prospective pedestal solo and you have the use of a pickup with a low bed, you could position the pedestal parallel to the tailgate, then lift and pivot the pedestal flat onto the bed. However, this method may scratch the tailgate, bed, and/or back of the pedestal.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 07:30 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will be on my lonesome so I will dismantle as much as possible and use a hand truck to move it.

John Anastasio
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 08:14 PM      Profile for John Anastasio   Author's Homepage   Email John Anastasio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the same pedestal I have, Sam. My brother and I moved it into the basement screening room without even pulling it apart. Once you get the heavy top off, it's just a bunch of sheet metal sitting on a baseplate.

Robert Golding
Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 10:02 PM      Profile for Robert Golding   Email Robert Golding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
I tried to resurrect the old Redding Drive In, in 1990. I had quit a bit of trouble because of the previous people who had run it into the ground. After three years, we closed it in Oct 1993. I believe it's been torn down and a school was built. It use to sit on the miracle mile next to the sacramento river. I brought everything back to Marysville even thought most of it was outdated. I have both of the Simplex SL,s at my drive in. They are in tip top shape and have the curved gates for water cooling. Hope this helps you and if you are ever down my way, be sure to stop in and say hi.

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-21-2003 05:53 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I picked up my pedestal today and it wasn't too bad. Had to remove a ton of junk laying on top but the thing came apart easily and I was able to load it by myself.
The only problem is that it apparently has a Simplex mount on it X-2180. I need the RCA mounting bracket (See WTB Post).

-

-

-

I also picked up this cool amp.

-

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: