Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ektapro 5000 - I need more light for these slides! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ektapro 5000 - I need more light for these slides!
Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 08:02 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now I have already read threads from a while back and people make 'mention' of a couple of solutions for this problem.... But what I am after is 'details'. We currently use EXR300W lamps in these projectors, and that is just not bright enough. [Frown] What are my options, and where can I find them? Thanks in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-13-2003 09:04 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
My Ektapro 7020 has a dual lamp module. Maybe your local dealer could tell you if it will work with the 5000.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 09:19 PM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They have a DUAL LAMP module on them ... but it does not say 'Extra Bright' as in the pic on the linked page you gave me. I have heard of xenon options ... and something Navitar makes ..... does anyone have the details on these?

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 09:40 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt we are useing the same type of slide projectors.they are ok on the smaller screens but not the big 55' screen.We have the dual moduls but there isnt that much of a difference.There is a setting on the projector to increase the light out put but it has to be reset after every screening so it is of little use, the buttons to push escapes me at the moment as I only tried it once but will find out for you.You can get larger wattage lamps for a few dollars more but thier life is shorter than the 300w and the result is a lttle better. You can get them from Osram which are cheaper to purchase from than other suppiers as they are wholesale prices.We are replaceing our slide projector in the big cinema with a xenon type in the near future.

Stephen [thumbsup]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-14-2003 12:30 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The brighter bulb is ANSI code EXW. Be warned that these a) don't last particularly long and b) produce significantly more heat than EXR bulbs.

What lens are you using? If it's a zoom, consider replacing it with a faster prime (fixed focal-length lens), which will give you more light on screen.

Navitar (and maybe others) sells a modified version of the Ektagraphic projectors with a 500w xenon lamphouse; it works quite well, though the ones that I've seen don't have any mechanical dimming mechanism (which means that they won't work with an external dissolve unit). Supposedly there are some models that have dissolve functionality.

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 01:13 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are all using zoom lenses. Would prime lenses achieve 'that much more' light on the screen? ... i.e. As much as going to an alternative light source? And what's going to give more bang for buck? I was kinda hoping someone made a wizz-bang plug in module as an upgrade..........
BTW, the last batch of bulbs we got are EXY250W .... not really impressive [Frown]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-14-2003 02:37 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this is stating the blindingly obvious, but if you're thinking about putting serious kilowatts behind a 35mm slide, it's probably worth making sure that all the slides are in glass mounts. I can see the film base expanding and contracting from the heat causing focus problems, and a worse case scenario of the slide getting nuked...

Matt Close
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 02:54 AM      Profile for Matt Close   Author's Homepage   Email Matt Close   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The slides all have glass on both sides of the slide.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-14-2003 06:03 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although glass mounted slides will hold a flat field for focus (no heat buckle), sometimes the glass traps moisture from the gelatin emulsion which then comes out with a high powered lamp, causing "amoebas" on the projected image.

Going to a higher wattage tungsten halogen lamp will give an incremental increase in brightness at the expense of more heat and reduced lamp life. Either settle for a smaller image, or consider a projector equipped with an arc light source.

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 09:12 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt

Maybe it's time you considered going to "Digital" slides. Greater Union, Readings (and other exhibitors in Oz) have been using the Panasonic 6500 LCD projector for digital slide presentations for some time now and the results are soooo much brighter and sharper than traditional slide machines. Now the Panasonic is about twice the price of a 5000 so you need to weigh up whether the revenue from slide advertising is worth the initial outlay ("yeah, right" I hear you say). Val Morgan can supply the slides c/w audio on CDROM so you will also need a PC and some software for each cinema for playback. But going to digital projection also adds other interesting possibilities.

(Did I really just say that - (add digital projection)?? My my, an analog-only man has been corrupted!!! I'll go wash my mouth out with soap!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-14-2003 09:46 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak's Digital Advertising Cinema Operating System:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/showWest03_cos.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/showEastKennel.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/digital/showEastLohan.shtml

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 10:30 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did I set that up for you John? Well it wasn't intentional, but I have to give you credit for taking maximum advantage of an opportunity. (9.46am eh? The early bird does indeed catch the worm).

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 10:55 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray, To my knowledge the only Reading cinema That are useing Digital slides is Cortney Square in New Zealand as far as I know there are no Reading sites in Australia useing digital slides.The main reason is the cost and also the amount of slides(but I may be wrong and stand corrected). The number of slides I am screening seems to be droping.May be Digital slides may turn this around and if the cost of the hard ware drops it may make it more viable to change over.
We had a conference in Sydney at the end of Febuary where we saw a demo of the digital slide system useing the Panasonic projector you mentioned and I was very impressed with what I saw and heard very good on screen image and great sound.
Cheers,
Stephen [beer]

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 11:16 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, traditional slide advertising in Australia, despite a very sucessful record over many years, has suffered badly in recent times because Val Morgan has gone through a period of very, very bad management. As I understand it, that management has been appropriately dispensed with, and exhibitors can look forward to greatly improved service in the future.

As for the distribution of digital slide advertising in Readings complexes, I have been to Courtney Square in New Zealand and seen the excellent results, but you may be right about the Australian Readings complexes. I can say for sure that just up the road from the Readings complex at Auburn (in Sydney) the Greater Union complex at Burwood has been running digital slides for several years and they look (and sound) quite stunning compared with other complexes running slide projectors.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-14-2003 08:32 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes ray you are right on with the comment about slide advertiseing in recent times, I have 8 screens with at least 3-4 paid slides in each which is a huge drop when you consider that we had at least 10+ when we opened 3 yrs ago.But now that Val Morgan are restructured I am getting improved service with the rep calling on a monthly basis.

Regards
Stephen [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: