Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How does one clean a silver screen?

Author Topic: How does one clean a silver screen?
Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 05:47 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On Wednesday, I will be examining the silver screen that we're renting for our 3-D screenings this September.

What are the issues regarding the cleaning of a silver screen? I know it's a standard, perforated screen, about 6 or 7 years old.

Are there specific chemicals one should use to clean such a screen? Or are they cleanable at all?

Thanks,

Jeff

|  IP: Logged

Matthew Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 07:10 PM      Profile for Matthew Bailey   Email Matthew Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this has been mentioned before. To be safe, use warm water & a mild detergent. If possible,use a sponge mop squeezed out then use if necessary a dry clean dust mop to dry it with. There is a business that sells screen cleaning supplies-I can't remember the name right now.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 07:15 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
to be honest how bad does it need to be cleaned. Any time you clean a silver screen you remove its ability to reflect the light correctly. If it is not bad I would not touch it because these non reflective areas show up like a sore thumb.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-12-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya can't and get good results....buy a new one.
Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-12-2003 08:27 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff,
I would ask Harkness or Stewart or whoever mfg'd the screen.

>>> Phil

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 09:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never attempt to do more than brush a silver screen
As for replacements MDI or Harkness are the only ones that i haven't had beefs with

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-12-2003 10:38 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Anything more than a gentle brushing and you risk removing or peeling the silver paint.

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 05:02 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nothing to do or just buy a new one...

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 05:39 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeff,

Until recent years we still had several silver 3D screens installed nationally. Our screens are wet chemically cleaned every year following Harkness Hall guidelines. Over the years we noted that the 3D screens deteriorated after about 5 cleans even using the recommended processes. All but one have been replaced over the years. The surface of a silver screen is much less resiliant. Unless you or others have had correct training in cleaning any screen, I would only recommend light dusting with a soft brush.

David Kilderry

Don Bruechert
Mmmmmmmmm, bird!

- posted 05-13-2003 08:33 AM      Profile for Don Bruechert   Author's Homepage   Email Don Bruechert   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What happens when the audience endows them with food products and fountain soda? I know we just got some special screen cleaner in and it had very specific directions - put the cleaner on the rag, sot the screen, etc.. I don't know if our screens are "silver screens" or not, as I never looked at them. If this is the standard in the industry then they are. I don't remember the name of the cleaner, but I know it came in a box emblazoned with "Follow Directions Exactly".

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 05-13-2003 09:20 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in the original post it says that the screen is a rental. If there are problems with it see if you can rent another screen. I would say and hope that the company that rents the screens also checks them upon return so that if there are problems with it it is not rented out again but replaced at their expense. If you try to clean that screen you may end up buying it from the rental company if it is damaged.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-13-2003 09:48 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most cleaning solvents will cause depolarization of a 3d image so stay away from them

Andrew Lee
Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 03:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Lee   Email Andrew Lee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff, like most people have stated, you can only clean a 3D screen with a brush/vacuum (ever so carefully). Depending on the type of coating, any attempt using any other method could turn into a nightmare.

As long as you do not have a coating of dust on the screen. Dust is one of the biggest factors in causing depolarization on a 3D screen.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-15-2003 11:02 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Jeff, Darryl is right -- if you are renting, make them give you a screen that is clean and needs no additional work.

I had a professiona screen cleaning company clean our regular screen and even they won't clean a silver screen.

Frank

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: