Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » World 3-D Film Expo (September 12-21, 2003) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: World 3-D Film Expo (September 12-21, 2003)
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-11-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I am creating this "sticky" thread for Jeff Joseph at Sabucat. The reason for the topic being posted so early is so people can plan their vacations and trip to California if they would like to attend. This is a rare show indeed and may be one of the last public 3-D performances ever.

Everyone may use this as a normal forum thread for discussion. Just click "post reply" as always.

3-D Film Festival Website

|  IP: Logged

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 11:41 PM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love 3D and wish I could fly over and watch the film festival. The films really need to be transfered to digital becuase with a computer it is very possible to fix the problems from when they filmed it, registration errors ect. They could then be reprinted on film and preserved! These are peices of history they we should never lose!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 12:17 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the dates are from September 12-September 21.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 12:49 AM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!! I sure wish I can take in the entire series. The cost of the tickets would not be too bad but buying plane tickets, hotel for ten days, car rentals plus my work schedule will force me to pass on this great 3-D series. [Frown]

I recall seeing "DRUMS OF TAHITI", "CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER" and "ROBOT MONSTER" in regular 2D when they were first released and did not know the films was originally photographed in 3-D until I saw the film and noticed the 3-D effects. After I watched the movies, I took a close look at the movie posters and lobby cards and sure enough, all mention of 3-D was covered over with tape or blacked off with a marker.

All of the movies that are scheduled are great but why was "HONDO", that great John Wayne film not included?

-Claude

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 12:52 AM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the material is owned by various Hollywood studios who do not currently have interest in working with 3-D video. And of course, we can't transfer this material to video or computer files; it's mostly under copyright.

While some of this material has been preserved (the bigger titles like "House of Wax" and so on), many no longer survive in the 3-D format. Some negatives have been lost, others destroyed over the years. A very sad story.

For the titles that are the "last surviving prints", well, this is it. One screening of each print. It's very likely at least half of the 33 features that we're running will NEVER be screened in 3-D again.

And by the way, we are also running a number of very rare shorts, including the 2 Disney cartoons and "Adventures of Sam Space", which was heretofore considered a "lost" film.

Regarding "Hondo": Michael Wayne owns this. He refused to clear it... then he died. And his estate is "honoring his wishes".

Jeff Joseph
SabuCat Productions

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 07:37 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or a film studios really stupid!? Don't they understand how they are such an important part of cinema history?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for this! Hopefully I'll get to meet some fellow Film-Tech folks there.

[Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool] [Cool]

Aldo Baez
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 12:20 PM      Profile for Aldo Baez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch! I live right here but $320 for tickets.. and I probably wouldn't even be able to go everyday either.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-12-2003 01:16 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
So, who IS going?

I'm booked for:

Fri... Sep 12... 7:00PM... HOUSE OF WAX
Sat... Sep 13... 4:15PM... GOG
Sat... Sep 13... 10:15PM ... IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE
Sun... Sep 14... 5:45PM... STEREO TECHNIQUES
Fri... Sep 19... 9:30PM... DIAL M FOR MURDER

>>> Phil

Christian Appelt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 03:14 PM      Profile for Christian Appelt   Email Christian Appelt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, you`ll have to dress properly for that 3D festival!
"Ro-Man" has a diving helmet on his head and wears an ape costume!

Or was that picture taken when you attended the Japanese Monster Movie Festival? [Smile]

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 05:29 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeff,

I did not know Michael Wayne had passed away. When did this happen?

Michael Wayne had a strange way of handling the right to his late father's best films that people want to see the most. Much of John Wayme's older films are easily accessible but why has the rights to films such as "THE HIGH & THE MIGHTY and "HONDO" held under tight control by the Wayne estate?

-Claude

Jeff Joseph
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-12-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Jeff Joseph   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Joseph   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are 4 Wayne titles, including "Hondo" that are owned by the Wayne estate. I don't know why, but I suppose John Wayne had enough clout to get ownership. Michael died just a few weeks ago. We had been in discussions to run "Hondo", but he was very much against it. The sad thing is: He struck a brand new print, so all we needed was permission to run it. He was convinced that it needed a big reissue...

Jeff

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 06:11 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Wayne appears to have been a very short sighted person because the 3-D festival in September at the Egyptian would have been a perfect way to re release "HONDO" and give it the kind of "Big Bang" opening he had wanted the film to receive.

What a sad case of missed opportunity. [Frown]

-Claude

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 05-12-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian,
You can thank my ex-friends, Michael Shaffer, Brad Miller, and Daryl O...whatever his name is for that! [Razz]

But it does provide me some flak protection since some here think I stir the pot up with my posts. I would NEVER post anything controversial! I'm too shy.

>>> Phil

Kevin Baglow
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-13-2003 04:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Baglow   Author's Homepage   Email Kevin Baglow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like a must see to me. Will have to get organized and go. [Cool] Looking foward to meeting fellow film techers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: