Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanicca Tower Motor Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cinemeccanicca Tower Motor Question
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2003 04:48 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just need to replace the bearings in this motor and can't for the life of me figure out how the gear comes off. Anyone out there ever run into one of these? There's no pin like on most of theor stuff and doesn't look to be threads to screw it in place either as the collar at the base of it is too thin. Tried a gear puller to no avail either......???
Mark @ CLACO

-

|  IP: Logged

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-10-2003 04:51 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it's pressed on to me. Did you try a gear puller?

Looks like you beat me with an edit, nevermind.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2003 04:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, tried a gear puller on it...didn't budge...
Mark

Daryl C. W. O'Shea
Film God

From: Midland Ontario Canada (where Panavision & IMAX lenses come from)

- posted 05-10-2003 04:59 PM      Profile for Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Author's Homepage   Email Daryl C. W. O'Shea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a hell of a time pulling some gears off of some a/c fuel pumps before (due to magnetism), maybe it is just 'super magnetised' onto the shaft.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2003 06:40 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daryl,
I temporarily reversed the rotation of the earth and the darn thing still won't let go. That in theory should have demagnetized it completely.
Really, I've tried everyting except machining it away!
Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 05-10-2003 07:31 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried harsh language and threats of violence?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-10-2003 09:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try heating the pulley with a torch to make it expand slightly

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2003 09:45 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We aren't allowed to use Harsh language out loud in SLC. However all three of us in the shop have surely thought that to oursleves whilst actually saying how does this little devil come off?
We had thought about fire and flame but not tried it yet. Will give that a try next. Worse comes to worse, the guy at the D.I. buys a new motor if they are still available......
Mark

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 05:54 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's anything like the V4 sound drum and other older Cinemec kit the pulley is installed under heat - not made for removal - good luck !!

Peter

Ray Derrick
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 06:05 AM      Profile for Ray Derrick   Email Ray Derrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try speaking nicely to it in Italian.

Per Hauberg
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 10:40 AM      Profile for Per Hauberg   Author's Homepage   Email Per Hauberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My bank for the time being has a poster hanging in the door, telling us all to "do, what we're best at", and claims, that so does the Bank.
You do likevise: stay with Your long raw of DP70 and sell the italian rubbish "as is"... Cinemec has never been for repair - it is use, plug out and throw away.

p.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-11-2003 10:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If fire and brimstone don't work offer it a capacino
they were pressfitted on with the shaft cold and the pully hot

Giorgio Volpi
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 11:06 AM      Profile for Giorgio Volpi   Email Giorgio Volpi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
ask for help to a workshop that has a press.
If you have to cut the pulley, it is easy to make another by lathe and then fix the pulley by screws.
It's not worthwhile to lose the motor for this problem.
Good luck,
Giorgio.

Fabrice Dubourg
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 11:19 AM      Profile for Fabrice Dubourg   Email Fabrice Dubourg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you know that motor is often used in washing machine ?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-12-2003 09:51 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about harsh language and threats of violence in Italian? What the SLC puritans don't know won't hurt them, but the pulley should get the message!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: