Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » That's Not FILMGUARD! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: That's Not FILMGUARD!
Thomas Procyk
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 01:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Procyk   Email Thomas Procyk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theater(re) ordered some FilmGuard from CPI a while back and we were told it was on back order. No problem. So, I come in to work today and there's a bottle of this other stuff on the workbench. CPI'S brand of Film Cleaner Lubricant and Antistatic.

The label on the back had basically the same directions as FilmGuard, saying there's details with the kit. (only the bottle was there, so I dunno). I opened it, and it smelled like FG, felt like FG, and had all the same charactaristics, except it was CLEAR and came in a 32oz Windex-type bottle.

I was going to test it out to see what it does, but all our prints are currently Film Guarded at the moment right now. [Cool]

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Should I be afraid, surprised, look for anything strange, etc...?

=TMP=

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2003 03:47 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't got a bottle in hand yet so I cannot say for sure, but from everything I have found out today it is a knockoff of the product.

For those who do not know, CPI is no longer our distributor for failure on Ron Purtee's end to meet the requirements of the distribution contract. It is my opinion that they have quickly thrown something together so they won't lose customers when orders for FilmGuard come in.

In the meantime, all I can report is that this CPI solution has not been tested. I kept FilmGuard under constant testing for 10 years before releasing it to make sure there were not any problems. According to Ron, CPI has spent 2 weeks. I don't consider that a safe amount of evaluation time to be using such a product on film that theaters do not even own. For those of you who are buying and using the CPI film cleaning product, good luck. I hope your prints don't have an adverse effect to the CPI film cleaner and your company ends up having to pay the studios $2000-3000 a pop for each damaged print. I'm not for sure if that will happen or not, but the odds are very good that is something that could happen. User beware! [Eek!]

If you have received one of these bottles from ordering FilmGuard, I am interested in talking to you. Please email me at the address listed on the contact us page.

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-07-2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, I would not use it. [thumbsdown] [thumbsdown]

Even though it smells and feels like Filmguard, it is NOT Filmguard.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-07-2003 04:34 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, please keep us updated on this. The two companies I've purchased Filmguard through have both used CPI. Sounds like a bunch of local suppliers are going to need redirecting.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 05-07-2003 04:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send it back and enclose a note explaining that your order was filled incorrectly. If you order "Filmguard" and they don't carry it, they should say so and send a refund; they should not send their knockoff product without telling the customer. Even if it is just as good (and it probably isn't), it is not what the customer ordered.

That sort of customer service stinks. If I order "Neumade" splicing tape, I don't want to get "Frame to Frame" tape instead. If the requested product is unavailable, it's reasonable to offer the customer a substitute product, but it's terribly wrong to just ship something that the customer didn't order and hope that he doesn't complain.

Daniel Fuentz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 05:41 PM      Profile for Daniel Fuentz   Email Daniel Fuentz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally agree with Scott on this -- you should send it back! It seems sort of dishonest to me, kind of like those knockoff laundry detergents they sell in the dollar store. At first glance, it looks like it says "Tide", but when you read it you see it says "Tidy"!

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 05-07-2003 06:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that is smells and feels like FilmGuard concerns me greatly. But it doesn't LOOK like it? Interesting. It would be easier to repair the deal with Film-Tech than it would be to come up with your own knock-off product within a couple of weeks. That would make me feel pretty uneasy as a customer.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2003 06:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
F.Y.I.

CPI was never removed from the dealer list, only as distributor. They could have continued to sell FG just like any other dealer. As of this last month, if the order is placed through CPI, you are NOT getting FilmGuard, even if that is what you ordered and paid for.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-07-2003 06:41 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Incidently, is anyone else distributing Film Guard Samples? I had ordered one from CPI ages ago and it never showed up (perhaps this is related).

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-07-2003 06:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Email me your shipping address and I'll send you a sample kit directly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I quite frankly think that CPI is doing this industry a huge disservice by selling a knockoff. To me it only shows a large lack of caring about their customers and ultimate end users.

Brad, You need to re-label your bottles stating "Genuine Film Guard" Accept no substitute.....or something to that effect.

I personally will discontimue pushing any CPI products to any customers I am in contact with and will discuss with others in the office tommrrow to basically boycott all of CPI's products that we now handle. I would urge other dealers, service techs, and theatre owners to join in and do the same. Everything they sell is also available elsewhere.
Mark @ CLACO

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-07-2003 09:59 PM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark said in part:
quote:
..to basically boycott all of CPI's products that we now handle. I would urge other dealers, service techs, and theatre owners to join in and do the same.
Mark, I agree. Boycott them. [beer]

Darren Crimmins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 10:41 PM      Profile for Darren Crimmins   Email Darren Crimmins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably will not have to boycott them too long because I feel that there is a serious lawsuit coming. If there is any sort of patent on Film-Guard, than this Ron Purtee is in serious trouble [Smile] [evil] [fu] . CPI might not be in business too long if any sort of lawsuit is sucessful. I hope CPI does go out of business from this. It is just wrong to try to fool the customer with some shitty knockoff product that has been in the works for a maximun of 2 weeks, while Brad perfected his with testing for 10 years. Obviously Purtee does not care about his customers or the potential booby-traps he is setting for these films and projectionists once they start to show the "results" of his product.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-08-2003 12:01 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree and I certainly would not want to possibly end up being party to a lawsuit by purchasing the stuff.
MArk @ CLACO

Paul G. Thompson
The Weenie Man

- posted 05-08-2003 12:36 AM      Profile for Paul G. Thompson   Email Paul G. Thompson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like CPI tried to pull a "fast one" and I hope it backfires on them to the max. [Mad]

[ 05-08-2003, 02:53 AM: Message edited by: Paul G. Thompson ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: