Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Here's how a booth should be wired!? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Here's how a booth should be wired!?
Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 10:34 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the rack wiring that most members here buy/make/install is generally pretty impressive, I thought you'd appreciate the obvious humour in the following:

A group of drive-in owners ran into this during a tour earlier this year. It's the front view of the rack, located against the back wall, right behind the projector... fairly accessible.

Note the OSHA-approved disclaimer [Razz]

-

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 11:00 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I'll say it's dangerous----just look at that ungrounded brown extension cord. [Wink]

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 05-06-2003 11:10 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's no wonder the "UL Listed" logo is missing from that!

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 12:10 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoooooaaa.....at least they put a warning label on it..I seen a few old booths like that, booth with sound systems from the 40's with RCA amplifier & pre-amp....I once service a booth with a sound system from the early 30's & still was working, the speakers had no magnet, a 90vdc electric field transformer mounted on the wall behind the screen ....I can relate to the picture !!! [thumbsup]

Mark Maxwell
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 12:37 AM      Profile for Mark Maxwell   Email Mark Maxwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too hell with the extension cord. As dangerous as that can be, look up and over a couple of inches from it. Three cut wires, not capped, and pretty damn close togeather. Seeing that for the first time in a new booth, an operator might ask, "Are those wires hot, and if so, where are they coming from and going to? And why does this sound rack look almost as bad as the dashboard of a 72 Pinto that's been stripped?"

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-07-2003 02:01 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of an ex-girlfriend when I was a student who asked me to investigate a power failure and 'weird smell' in her shared student house. I found that a 20-amp neutral cable going from the main fuse box into what appeared to be the lighting circuit had literally burnt through (insulation melted, multicore cable inside black and generally buggered)!

Looking around the house for what could have caused this, I found what had happened was that someone, at some stage, had taken a spur off the lighting circuit to provide an extra mains socket in one of the bedrooms. Into this socket, I discovered, one of Rosalind's flatmates had plugged a 5kw electric fire.

So why hadn't the main fuse for that circuit just blown, you ask yourself? It clearly had, several times in the past. When I looked in the fuse box, the ceramic cartridge holding the 5 amp fuse wire between the two contacts was missing from that slot. In its place, and neatly soldered across the two contacts, was a three-inch nail! [evil]

The wire which had burnt was cable-clipped to wood panelling just below the fuse box, which was charred and blackened in the area where the wire was damaged. I'd say those students were extremely lucky not to have set the house on fire. When the landlord's electricians eventually came round to sort this mess out, they discovered that some previous tenants had reverse-phased the entire power supply in an attempt to disable the coin-operated electricity meter!

Peter Hall
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 11:14 AM      Profile for Peter Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Peter Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that our compeditors in the UK did work in the USA !

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a hell of a way for a decent RCA 140 rack to end up.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 04:17 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was there when Jack's daughter took the picture. If you think the front looks bad... you should've seen the back!

For the record.... NOT all drive-in's are wired that way.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-07-2003 07:59 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy that is almost as neat of rack wireing as one of the of the racks I saw here on filmtech some time ago

-

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 05-09-2003 12:20 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's that thing on the floor? They run out of rack space?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-09-2003 09:17 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That looks to me like a smart exictor powersupply

John T. Moon II
Film Handler

- posted 05-09-2003 09:27 PM      Profile for John T. Moon II   Email John T. Moon II   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the only thing smart would be to stay away from that power supply.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-10-2003 02:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'll coin a few phrases here too....
There's got to be rats in that nest somewhere!! Who ever built that rack should be expelled from the world of wire and cable!!
Who backordered the tie wraps!! Crap, forgot my tools and still have to assemble the rack for the 1pm show!! Crap again, I'll have to naw the insulation off the wire with just my teeth [Embarrassed] !! Jimmys's 4th grade class had a science fair last Wednesday and the runner up was....!! The person that wired this rack wasn't too Smart, were they??? Yesterday I couldn't spell Engeaneer but now I are one!! The hanging occured at rack space 5.5 as the enginneer wasn't able to amputate his own arm free from the bundle before circulation cutoff occured!!
Hope I wasn't too brutal...
Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-10-2003 05:10 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, is that an NCS/CCS rack? Loks very much like some installed for them. Really bad things to wire, nothing internally to support the cables.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: