Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- Seeking Trims & Misc. Footage (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- Seeking Trims & Misc. Footage
Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 07:00 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm checking with this group as projectionists have always had the sensibility to not throw away certain sprocketed items which others may find of no value.

While we have located a good amount of 6 track audio (fullcoat) and a number of 70mm print picture trims on Mad World, the world-wide search continues.

The original negative was cut and conformed to the 154 minute version in December of 1963, after the production of over thirty 70mm prints in both standard Ultra-Panavision and rectified format, plus at least a dozen 35mm magnetic prints.

The majority of the 70mm prints were replaced with new short versions and recut in January of 1964. After re-cutting they were re-recorded with the newly cut short version audio.

In April of 1964 the 65mm Oneg was shipped in its newly cut form to Technicolor London, where the majority of later printings were performed for worldwide distribution. We recently brought in a 70mm print from Austrailia which was of London manufacture and is confirmed as the short version.

We're hopeful that somehow either trims or reels of long version prints may have survived somewhere in the world that we have not yet checked.

Any information or leads gratefully accepted.

|  IP: Logged

David Kilderry
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 07:40 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage   Email David Kilderry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert,

This has been my number 1 70mm film for the restoration process. Glad to know you found a complete print from Australia even though it was the short version. I'm sorry my IAMMMMW 70mm footage turned out to be from the short version too, but if you dig up stuff anywhere, it will be here at Film Tech.

If it was not for projectionists, much of the worlds cinematic heritage would have been lost. Film distribution companies must understand the difference between genuine film collectors and film pirates. I know many genuine film collectors world-wide and not one of them ever has, or would consider, copying their film for illeagle sale on tape or disc. They value and preserve what the worlds film production companies, and the corporates who consumed them, have neglected.

If only more had been like Charlie Chaplin, who kept mint 35mm prints of his own films.

David Kilderry

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 12:47 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not know if it is true or not but I heard that there is only one print of "FROM HERE TO ENERNITY" with a mag stereo track from the film's original release in 1953. The print is in the hands of a private collector who has even refused Columbia Home Video from using it when they released the film on tape, laserdisc and the original DVD. When Columbia recently issued a Superbit DVD in stereo for the very first time, the magnificent sound was created from new and original sound elements and I was very impressed with the effort and stated that when I reviewed the DVD here at Film Tech.

Yes, private collectors protects films from being reproduced even when the purpose is legitimate.

I was fortunate to see "IT's A MAD,MAD, WONDERFFUL WORLD" in 1963 during it's original road show release at Honolulu's Cinerama Theatre in what was billed as the very first single projector Cinerama film instead of 70mm Ultra Panavision. I have owned the 'complete' film on a boxed MGM laserdisc for years with the missing footage represented by still photographs. From what I saw, you do have your work cut out for you.

Welcome to Film Tech, Mr. Harris. I have always admired your work especially the restoration efforts you had made with "LAWRENCE OF ARABIA", "SPARTACUS" and "MY FAIR LADY"

-Claude

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 01:00 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Film-Tech, where people believe in "Film Done Right!" [Smile]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 05-05-2003 02:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And welcome once again from another AMIA refugee...

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 05:14 PM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the best of my knowledge original stereo prints of From Here to Eternity would most likely have been double system with a three track mag.

RAH

Edwin Graf Diemer
Film Handler

- posted 05-05-2003 10:56 PM      Profile for Edwin Graf Diemer   Email Edwin Graf Diemer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right-it would have to be interlock since "Eternity" opened in August, at least in New York City! There is a neat two-page ad of the front of NYC's Capitol Theater in the 8/15/53 issue of "Motion Picture Herald" (p 14-15), and the marquee says "Giant Screen-Stereophonic Sound".

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2003 02:45 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

Nice to se you on Film-Tech. Sorry to see your search hasn't yet turned up the missing footage.
The need for such a restoration was made all more apparent by the screening of a pan and scan version of IAMMMMW on UK terrestrial TV yesterday,despite it having been advertised as widescreen.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-06-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume the actual restoration would be in the original UP70 format. But what format release prints?

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2003 07:42 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Release format would be UP70 as a number of sets of projection optics are available. Dependent upon venue, the projected image could be cropped to as narrow as 2.55 as necessary.

One of our problems is that much of the extant 70mm trim footage is rectified, which would have to be digitally brought back to a standard 1.25 squeeze.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-07-2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bob,
I have a really nice UP projection attachment here if ya need it. Its like brand new.....
Mark @ CLACO
CLACO Equipment And Service
Salt Lake City, UT

Darren Briggs
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 03:26 AM      Profile for Darren Briggs   Author's Homepage   Email Darren Briggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Robert, Darren in York here,
So if its going to be a UP70 release print, as I only have a flat screen how will I beable to screen it without distortion??
Need a UP lens?
Dick at Bradford is the only place in the UK with a propper curved screen, Ill do the U.K.premier flat screen premier though!

Darren

Robert Harris
Film Handler

- posted 05-11-2003 10:18 AM      Profile for Robert Harris   Email Robert Harris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darren...

The UP70 releases were printed to be projected on both highly curved and flat screens.

UP70, with its 1.25:1 anamorphosis would be unsqueezed using the proper optics to anywhere between a 2.55 to 2.76:1 aspect ratio on a flat screen or...

projected on highly curved screens in a rectified print which was optically printed from the original negative to fully unsqueeze and area of approx 2/3 of the frame with the far sides being given an even greater squeeze, which would be "physically" unsqueezed by the distortion created by the highly curved surfaces of the screen sides.

There was a double inventory of prints.

When I replied that the probably plan, if the project moves forward, would be to create UP70 normal squeeze prints, is that I would not plan to create rectified prints or a double inventory as the number of venues with highly curved screens is slowly, and unfortunately, moving toward extinction.

RAH

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 05-11-2003 10:55 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see the up70 of Mutiny on the bounty restored

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 05-11-2003 11:14 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you do some of this work digitally, what rez would you work at?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: